[Archive] CDO Being Targetted by Bug/Potential Threat Emails?

Auretious Taak:

Hey everyone,

I’ve posted this here as there’s no specific sub-forum for such a topic.

Alot happening around the place currently and thus time is icky for spending here, but today I recieved an email in badly written english that may well have a virus attached to it and is quite suspicious. It’s quoted below so as admin can investigate it also, but has anyone else recieved a similar email to their email account attached to this forum? Whoever Miss Cynthia is, she doesn’t say much, and my profile,w ell there’s bugger all there iirc.

Hello my dear new friend�?�From: cynthia20 (cynthiakhalifar@yahoo.com)

You may not know this sender.Mark as safe|

Mark as junk

Sent: Sunday, 18 October 2009 7:12:37 AM

cynthiakhalifar@yahoo.com

interested in you

My name is cynthia,i saw your profile today at www.chaos-dwarfs.com and became intrested in you,i will also like to know you the more,and i want you to send an email to my emailaddress so i can give you my picture for you to know whom i am.Here is my email addresS (cynthiakhalifar@yahoo.com) i believe we can move from here.I am waiting for your mail to my email address above.Miss Cynthia

Remeber the distance or colour doesnot matter but love matters alot in life.

Miss Cynthia
To admin, feel free to delete this thread once investigated and sorted.

Cheers,

Auretious Taak.

Willmark:

Right now there is an increase in spam worldwide and CDO is no different right now.

Auretious Taak:

Spam, that was the word I was seeking.

When did this global spam thing increase anyways? It’s always been a problem, had on anothe forum I used to visit alot massed spam email accounts being used to create spam acc’s on the forums themselves, just curious bout whether you guys are able to do anything to counter it here.

Cheers,

Auretious Taak.

Zanko:

Yesterday evening I got this e-mail too!

I´m disgusted you got the same - thought I was an extraordinary and unique guy :slight_smile: !

…ucking spams!

:hashut

Kera foehunter:

!!she been termanated!!

NO !! S P A M B O T talk to my friends like that

Thommy H:

Oh, I got that. I just deleted it without reading it so I had no idea it was connected to CDO.

Grimstonefire:

There would be a way around this, but we don’t seem to be able to do it here.

On some forum systems you can have an automatic user group progression based on post count.  I.e. A new member would go into the Registered user group, then when they’re made one post they go into the Dawi Zharr group.

We could ban pm privileges for Registered that way.

Unfortunately CDO doesn’t have a system where you can do this, and it wouldn’t stop our other sort of spambot.

I’ll check with Xander if there is any way we can boost our registration things, so they cannot be members here at all. We might need a patch or something.

Tarrakk Blackhand:

ERK…well just remeber that I’m the true article and not a spam! :smiley:

Willmark:

No worries, SPAM it’s what’s for dinner.

On a serious note everyone best defense is safe computing. Don’t assume positive intent. If you have any question as to what a email or PM is, just delete it.

Kera foehunter:

do we give a new metal for the spambot fighter ???

Thorne:

Just for you Kera

Kera foehunter:

well pm me it !!

P L E A S E thorn

thanks