[Archive] Chaos ADHD

JMR:

Looks like another ambitious project that you’re completing far, far to quickly for my self-esteem.

Maybe consider putting some paper or tracing paper over the LEDs to make the light a little less bundled and stark.

I guess the massager is to make a vibration table for casting purposes?

Kera foehunter:

What figure did you use as your gore beast that pulling the chariot they kinda look like bears?

Khaas:

Thanks guys!

@JMR - You win a cookie! I’m casting several bits I’ll be using for the display board and a few bases, for the LEDs I’m going to see how it looks once I’ve got everything else in the caverns finished. I don’t know that it will look so out of place once I’ve got the portals finished at ground level (tower with stairs going down for the trolls, and a crevice for the spawn). But that is a very valid concern.

@Kera - That’s the actual Gorebeast. Just haven’t finished painting him yet.

I’ve got six FW Bile Trolls I’ll be using along with a unit filler for the big troll unit, I’ve streamlined a few things like the color scheme in general. My goal is to get the Warriors and Chaos Dwarfs finished by Halloween, then I’ll start on the Daemons for my client. I should have them finished by Christmas, and then I’ll do his Circle of Orboros army after the tourney starting in February.

Khaas:

I don’t usually have a lot of time on the weekends to work, but I managed to get a little face time in with my first Gorebeast Chariot. I’ve decided that I’m going to use Ogres (thanks for the idea Rusty) on these and Forsaken on my regular Chariots.

The watercolor technique seems to be working pretty well here, especially on the Gorebeast himself. He’s still wet, and it doesn’t show very well in these pics but there’s some really subtle color shifts on him that I’m proud of.

I layered a bit of my verdigris mix and some weathering powders to the main body already, so it’s starting to really take on the plague ridden look. I can’t wait to get these finished, I have a feeling they’ll look pretty good. I took pics throughout the painting process, but here are some highlights. Enjoy and let me know what you think.

Kera foehunter:

Thanks for the better picture .Khaas …

Yodrin:

Looks awesome!!

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

Khaas:

Got some work in on the first Gorebeast Chariot, just need to base it and add the crew. Lots of work on the weathering, etc. I’ll probably work the second one to this point first though, and just do the bases and crew all at once. Enjoy, more coming soon!

Khaas:

Today I made a lot of progress, for starters I got the display board squared away. First thing was to even out the sides, I cut and sanded excess away until everything was in line. Then, I added strips of thinner foam to give me a good, perfectly straight base to work from. I used toothpicks to pin the pieces in place before moving on to the next step…

Liberal use of masking tape helped seal seams so I don’t waste Spackle later, it also helps keep the foam from slipping as I work with the board as a whole.

Another angle…

First layer of Spackle was added, it’s been hot and sunny today (for the first time in weeks). So, it should be set perfectly by morning. At which point, I’ll be ready to sand it down and add a finishing layer of Spackle…

With the display board drying I turned back to the slab, first order of business was some rust and weathering for both the Chariots (yes, I made a second pass on the first one) and on the Warriors themselves…

Here’s a pic of the Chariots, as you can see I’ve really layered on the rust, the second chariot should go pretty quickly. I should have them on bases by the end of the week.

The Warriors have got their standard now, and leather has been painted. There’s actually not a lot left for them, mostly some ink and weathering. Then add them to their bases. I’m really going for a “dry rot” look on these guys. And I think it’s turning out pretty effective as a whole, definitely not your typical Nurgle color scheme.

Now for something completely different, with the display board starting to take shape it was time to get to work on some of the terrain features I’ll be using on the board. I decided to use Dreadstone Blight as a ruined tower just over the troll cavern. A great little kit and cheap too, I’ve been looking forward to painting this thing, now I have an excuse…

More priming…

I started adding yellow for a glow effect in the heavy white areas. Afterward, I added a bit of duck egg green to the edges to darken it a bit further from the epicenter of the glow. With the airbrush I was able to add a little radiant light leaking out of the windows and door, etc.

I also touched the edges of the second floor with the yellow. With the second floor in place and the basic colors down I added some ink to the wood, the wood was done just like the rest black, with a dusting of white. With the yellow applied on the edges. Then I went back with Secret Weapon Sewer Water wash over the whole thing…

After that dried, I touched up the metal bits, skulls, etc and gave the wood another wash layer using Army Painter Dark Tone. It makes for a pretty effective moldy/rotten wood, perfect for Skaven, Nurgle, etc.

There’s a little more to do on the tower still, but it’s pretty close to finished, just have to wait on the ink to dry so I can finish it up. I’ll be adding some rust to the gate, and then a little more yellow on the inside end of the gate itself.

There will of course be the obligatory snow drifts but that will wait until I’m ready to mount the tower to the finished display board. Tomorrow, we’ll see how the cast pieces turned out. So, see you soon!

Yodrin:

As always, great stuff!!!

Khaas:

Another busy day today, first objective was to empty the molds and see how it turned out. For a first run I think they turned out great, I’ll be using Aluminite resin in the future, but this time went with plaster.

I’ve assembled the pieces and taken out the spare pieces I don’t intend to use immediately (though I may add a couple of crates and barrels in the larger cavern). I’ve got another batch going already, so I should have plenty of stalactites/stalagmites before long.

With that done, it’s time I turned my attention back to my painting rack. Which is currently full… I got the Warriors inked, now they’re missing just some final layering touch ups and weathering powders. Then they’ll be ready for their bases. I also got back to work on the Warhounds, since there’s so few of them and they’re so close to being finished. I’ve moved the remaining hounds to bases and added snow to all ten. I’ll finish these guys up tomorrow morning.

I also got a surprise in the mail today, six Forgeworld Bile Trolls, I picked these up on eBay for a song. Sadly, there were a few missing pieces and these guys were not assembled very well. Fortunately, I always have green stuff and a well stocked bits box capable of fixing that.

Now for the bad news, I think my airbrush is on it’s last legs. I’ve had it soaking in the sonic cleaner all day, but I’m not very optimistic. But that’s what you get with cheap brushes, so I’m ordering a couple of replacements. I’ve got my eye out for a new airbrushing rig anyways, but I don’t quite have the funds to go all in just yet. So, cheap ones for now.

Enjoy, more coming soon!

Khaas:

Quick update, I’m trying to clear off my drying rack so I’ll have room for other things. First objective, finish the two units of Warhounds. Here’s 1 of 10, for this batch I decided to go with a lighter appearance to help differentiate the units. I’m still using the watercolor technique I mentioned earlier, and it really shines on these high detail resins. Here’s the finished hound…

The Hounds will be finished in time for lunch, I’m going to get the bases ready for the Warriors and add the weathering/magnets. The unit should be finished shortly as well. I’m going to batch paint the weapons and shields a bit later.

The way things are looking, the army should be over 50% complete by Monday. Probably more like 85% with just the second DP, Skullcrushers, and Trolls to go before the army will be finished.

Khaas:

Brom’s hounds are finished, I did a lot of shading work on these guys before I moved on to the final push. Scibor Ruins bases, Woodland Scenics Snow, and Tamaya Clear Red + Uhu Glue for the gore.

Detail, lots of subtle shading on these guys. Especially the underside.

Meanwhile, I have a final layer of spackle on the display board. It’s been sanded down already and it’s looking pretty straight. I’ve textured it a bit (especially on the sides) as I will be doing an airbrush/freehand design on the sides. The spawn are drying, final layers of color, etc. I’ll be adding snow and weathering to them, a bit of poisonous slime, then they’ll be finished too.

I may actually have the Warrior unit finished by this afternoon, assuming the airbrush is ready.

tjub:

What did you use for blood on the hounds?

Khaas:

Tamaya Clear Red and a bit of UHU Glue for the stringy bits, rest is just the Tamaya. Sometimes I mix a little dark ink with it, in particular on “corpses” and things like that. But I wanted a fresh look here.

tjub:

Thanks, Ill need that! :slight_smile:

Yodrin:

Cute dogies ;), looks awesome!

Khaas:

Spiders have gotten into my garage and had started setting up shop inside my display board, so I decided to get it cleaned up and inside. I shaved away some excess spackle and sanded the whole thing pretty much flat. I wanted a little bit of an irregular pattern on the outside as I’ll be doing something special with the paint later.

Here’s some shots of the cleaned up caverns…

Side of Troll Cavern…

Spawn Cavern…

I didn’t get any shots of the hill in progress, but I made it the same way I did Mount St Awesome for last year’s board. I decided to do something a little different though for a nameplate, I made a ruined house using a spare piece of foam and some balsa wood. I glued the board to the foam with a hot glue gun then sanded it all down to give a good clean foundation, then I grabbed a strip of balsa wood and started breaking/mangling it and gluing them in place.

I masked off some letters before hitting the whole thing with the airbrush, I painted this the same as the wood in the tower. Black primer dusted with white, I drybrushed a little white afterward to pick out some areas then went back with my yellow and green over the text.

I then took off the mask and added a darker green in the block lettered areas, while that was still wet I wiped with a wet rag to streak the paint a bit. I dried that with the hair dryer and started adding ink, Secret Weapon Sewer Water and Army Painter Dark Tone/Strong Tone. Watered down in some areas so I could get some nice lighter areas. It’s drying now, and I’m really happy with it. Quick, simple, cheap, and I think pretty effective. I’ll freehand a signature after it dries…

Here’s the board as it sits currently, the star is from last year’s board lol. I’ve recycled it. Since I’ll be adding a lot of pitting and weathering anyway I don’t anticipate the repaint looking too bad.

The hill was made using the pieces of foam cut out for the Troll cave. I’ve used a hot glue gun to attach some pine bark chips and will be adding some spackle to fill it out. The tower will go on top of that.

I’ve also added stalactites and stalagmites in the caverns themselves thanks to Hirst Molds and some plaster I had laying around.

Unfortunately this added some weight, instead of being 2 lbs it’s now more like 8 lbs. Which is fine, I assumed it would be a little beefy at the end. The board is now 26 x 26 x 9 inches (excluding the hill and tower).

Khaas:

Good news/bad news time.

Bad News:

I have an infection brought on by constant allergies, I’m allergic to cats, my wife has 3. So, we’re going to have to get rid of them. Yesterday I had an allergy attack and noticed that there was dried blood in my mucus, not good. This morning I had a minor attack again and went to the doctor, who confirmed my fears. I’ve been dealing with this for a while now and have been hesitant to get rid of the little fur balls, because frankly my wife loves them. Unfortunately, I’ve broken ribs during these coughing fits brought on by the allergy, and now my respiratory tract is inflamed and infected, so it’s time for them to go.

The Good News:

Though I feel like I’ve been worked over by a couple of Italians with baseball bats I feel like I might actually get through this now, the wife’s already agreed to let go of her babies.

Also, I did manage to get a little work done before all hell broke loose earlier.

I decided I wanted a very asymetrical layout, something naturally chaotic. The tower will be leaving rancid fluid down the hill where it’s built, and there will of course be a lot of snow throughout the board. I’ve added a set of steps up to the ruined building using some piece of balsa, once everything is dry I’ll rough those up a little bit (they look a bit too neat right now). I’ll also of course be doing a pretty thorough finishing sand before I get to work painting. It’s going to be largely hand painted, though I imagine there will be some airbrushed touches here and there. Those will mostly be in the “lighting” and binder for weathering pigment area however. To flesh out the hill I mixed some spackle with sand, pva glue, and primer with a little bit of water. It makes for a very workable mixture that can be applied a little at a time and bulk things up, I gave the ruins the same treatment, though less so.

Anyhow, I actually think despite the setbacks this thing along with my Gorebeasts and Warriors should be finished this week. So, stay tuned!

Khaas:

Got the first layers down on the board via spray can, there’s still a lot of airbrush and drybrush work, as well as some ink and weathering to do on this thing. It’s probably going to take the better part of this week to finish it, but I’m happy with the progress thus far. Let me know what you think!

Yodrin:

Looks awesome!!!

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.