[Archive] Chaos Dwarf 3K (Zero Shooting List)

propervillanz:

So due to the grumbling (bitching and moaning) of the resident Dwarf player in my group Chaos Dwarfs are boarder line banned :s.  After weeks of politicking on my part i got the others in my group to put the Dawi Zharr on probation so to speak.

As a result i developed the following list leaving many of our tasty treats at home in order to be more tame and show that there is more to Dwarfs of the Chaos persuasion other than Destroyers and awesome War Machines.

Chaos Dwarfs 3000pts on the nose

Sorcerer-Prophet

General

Level 4 Wizard (Death or Hashut)

The Black Hammer

Talisman of Preservation

Dispel Scroll

Heroes:

Infernal Castellan

BSB

Mask of the Furnace

Ironcurse Icon

Potion of Foolhardiness

Great Weapon

Hobgoblin Khan

Terrifying Mask of EEE!

Spear

Shield

Giant Wolf

Hobgoblin Khan

Ruby Ring of Ruin

Spear

Shield

Giant Wolf

Core:

28 Infernal Guard

Full Command

Hailshot Blunderbusses

Lichbone Pennant

2x25 Hobgoblin Cutthroats

Standard and Musician

Extra Hand Weapons

Special:

6 Bull Centaur Renders

Standard

Great Weapons

Gleaming Pennant

6 Bull Centaur Renders

Standard

Great Weapons

Standard of Discipline

2x6 K’daii Fireborn

Manburners in each

The idea behind the list is to set the infantry on one side of the board and the Monstrous units on the other. The infantry will move forward at a slow and steady pace and lay down fire, while the Monstrous units will rush forward and work in tandem (Renders pinning things in place while Fireborn hit flanks).

The General and BSB will go with the Infernal Guard while the Khans redirect and hunt war machines.

Anyway i would love to hear from this distinguished community as to what you all think.  Does the list seem sound? Is it still to strong?  How does my strategy sound?

Dabutcha:

Looks a great list! I love the Hobgoblin Khan with the terror mask of EEE! Should work great with Doom and Darkness if you take Death magic.

propervillanz:

So after tinkering with the list a bit more and as the result of following the Non-Shooting Chaos Dwarf Posts i revamped my list.

Chaos Dwarfs 2999pts

Lords:

Sorcerer-Prophet

General

Level 4 Wizard (Lore of Hashut)

Sword of Might

Charmed Shield

Talisman of Preservation

Dispel Scroll

Heroes:

Infernal Castellan

BSB

Mask of the Furnace

Ironcurse Icon

Great Weapon

Bull Centaur Taur’ruk

Black Hammer of Hashut

Enchanted Shield

Seed of Rebirth

Bull Centaur Taur’ruk

Ogre Blade

Dragon Helm

Shield

Core:

29 Infernal Guard (General and BSB here)

Full Command

Great Weapons

Banner of Swiftness

3x20 Hobgoblin Cutthroats

Standard and Musician

Extra Hand Weapons

Special:

2x6 K’daai Fireborne

Maneaters on both

5 Bull Centaur Renders

Standard and Musician

Great Weapons

Gleaming Pennant

5 Bull Centaur Renders

Standard and Musician

Great Weapons

Banner of Eternal Flame

No shooting save the throwing knifes. Taur’ruks will start out in the Render units then go solo when target of opportunity appear. Renders will Frenzy block the K’daai so they don’t get led around all game. Goblins for chaff clearing and meat shielding the Infernal Guard.

Grimbold Blackhammer:

For the cost of those Taur’ruks, you could have twelve more centaurs. Ask yourself what can two Taur’ruks do that twelve centaurs can’t?!

Grimbold Blackhammer

propervillanz:

For the cost of those Taur'ruks, you could have twelve more centaurs.  Ask yourself  what can two Taur'ruks do that twelve centaurs can't?!

Grimbold Blackhammer

Grimbold Blackhammer
The main reason i put them in is for magical attacks so ethereal units wont hold up the Renders or Fireborn. I realize they are a point sink, but if figure they have the potential to clear chaff on their own or, with the right build, hold up key enemy units while my army deals with other problems.

Regardless, I will do some soul searching and ask Hashut for guidance. Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

Marduk:

I like the list. 2 units of bull centaurs and 2 units of fireborn will look nice on the table. It shouldn’t be too weak, I believe.

However, the Black Hammer of Hashut is Chaos Dwarfs Only.

zhatan87:

Only one unit of BC can have a magic standard…

If I would have to try a zero shooting list, I would go with at least one k’daai destroyer…

BC taur’ruk is great, as k’daai fireborn are. It should work against many lists.

Next is to find 12 BC and 12 fireborn:)

Lava Lord:

:hat off great looking list. Different also. Ya gotta let us know how they work!! :cheers

propervillanz:

Thanks for the feedback. Nice catches with the Banner and Black Hammer party fouls. I am leaving the Destroyer at home because it is one of those units that my group claim is broken/cheesy/overpowered/bull$hit, so i decided to bring its little brothers instead.

Taking Grimbold Blackhammer’s critique to heart i decided to revamp the list again. Let me know which you folks feel is better, list 2 or 3.

Chaos Dwarfs 3K on the nose

Lord:

Sorcerer-Prophet

General, Level 4 Wizard (Lore of Hashut)

Warrior Bane, Mask of the Furnace, Dispel Scroll, Potion of Foolhardiness

Heroes:

Infernal Castellan

BSB

Black Hammer of Hashut, Talisman of Preservation, Shield

Hobgoblin Khan

Great Wolf, Light Armor, Shield, Spear

Terrifying Mask of EEE!

Hobgoblin Khan

Great Wolf, Light Armor

Shrieking Blade, Charmed Shield, Luck Stone

Hobgoblin Khan

Great Wolf, Light Armor, Shield

Tormentor’s Blade, Potion of Strength

Hobgoblin Khan

Great Wolf, Light Armor

Dagger of Malice, Enchanted Shield

Core:

29 Infernal Guard

Full Command, Great Weapons

Banner of Eternal Flame

3x20 Hobgoblin Cutthroats

Standards and Muscians, Extra Hand Weapons

Special:

2x6 K’daai Fireborn

Manburners

6 Bull Centaur Renders

Standard and Musician, Great Weapons

Gleaming Pennant

6 Bull Centaur Renders

Standard and Musician, Great Weapons

Replaced the Taur’ruks with Khans to increase War Machine Hunting/Redirecting and screening capabilities. I figure with four i can delegate 2 toward screening my Fireborn form being redirected and 2 toward hunting war machines and chaff.

Anyway, thanks again for all the input and let me know which list you folks find more sound (list 2 or 3).

Groznit Goregut:

I like the list!  I think it should do good, but I don’t have a lot of experience with CD’s.  Also depends on your area, too, I bet.  Overall, I like the idea of a fast list like that.  If you look at mine recently posted, it’s about the same thing.  Well, only one each of BC and Fireborn as I went with a Destroyer, but I know what you mean.  

Any chance of getting a lvl 4 on flying creature?  It could add a lot of fun.  Might be rough if you face lots of cannons.  Then again, go with a Taurus and try to get into combat as soon as possible.  Even go for lvl 4 on Fire to try to heal the Taurus.

Oh, have you thought of putting one unit of Hobgoblins to 40? That would mean all your units will be within 6" of the Chaos Dwarf bunker and the Ld bubble.

Grimbold Blackhammer:

I like this list more than the other, for sure! I have no idea who effective it will be but it looks fun if nothing else. You might want to try and dig up 3 points to stick the Charmed Shield on your BSB for a little extra protection!

When you field these guys, let us know how they do!

Grimbold Blackhammer

Groznit Goregut:

I did just notice you DON’T have a ward save on your lvl 4. Why is that? I NEVER go without a 4+ ward save on important characters. Also, why take the Warrior Bane? Isn’t the magic weapon you start with for free better? I like the various options that you might get. I think all of those are better than the Warrior Bane.

If you wanted to trade one Hobgoblin hero for a unit of Wolf Riders, you would get Vanguard. It might be worth it on ONE unit. Also, it then counts as a deployment.