[Archive] Chaos dwarf (and WHF) beginner needs your help!

Sado2912:

Hey guys,
First sorry for my bad englisch, but I´m from Germany so ecxuse me.
I hope youll understand everythig! :wink:

Some weeks ago i discovered  Whf on the Internet and got intrested.
So i searched for a Forum, where i was told to go to a Games Workshop.
There i could make some testgames and even i was allowed to paint a miniature. It was pretty cool and at this moment i knew that im going to buy the Battle for Sull pass box, but it was so expensive. You must know, I am 15 years old, a pupil and dont earn money on my own. When I asked my parents they laughed at me and said : “We wont give you money for so expensive plastic toy like that” . I was sad and started to collect it onmyself, but im not good at things like that so i just got 25 euros and with it i bought some Dwarves on Ebay, cause they were so cheap. They contained : 2 x Dragonslayer, 2 x Thane, 1 x Canon wie 3 man crew, 12 x Warriors with axe and shield, 8 x miners and 10 shot-gun-dwarves (sorry i dont know the english expression for them). I dont have the rules so i needed to get in contact somebody who has got this rules and could teach me. After some games i learned nearly everything about it. When i went home at this evening and surfed a bit on the net i found this Forum and saw this ultra impressive and beautiful Chaos Dwarves. After i asked myself why they are not for sell on the Gamesworkshop i red that they are out of stock and wont be produced ever again. But then i saw this video on youtube how to convert normal dwarves into chaos dwarves and i want them so bad!!!

So please help me… Im going to buy the BFSP box soon and you tell me what to do and where to buy things like Greenstuff and Chaos Bits.

Here are my questions :
1. Where to buy greenstuff? How expensive is it? How much i need? Is it to complicated for a beginner like me?

2. Where to get Bits like arms, heads and masks and wapons of chaos?

3.WHat to buy else? I have glue.

4. What should i convert to what? I have:
1. 32 Dwarf warrior with Axe and SHield ( within 2 x CSM (CSM means : Champ, Standard, musican)
2. 23 Dwarf shot guns (within 2 x CSM)
3. 16 Miners (wizhin 32 x CSM)
4. 3  Dragonslayer
5. 3 THane
6. 2 Canons (within 3 man crew each, that means 6 man crew all together)
7.40 Nightgoblins with speers (CSM)
8. 20 Nightgoblins with Bows (CSM)
9. 1 Goblin SHaman
10. 1 Goblin Gargboss
11. 10 Spider riders (CSM)
12. 1 Troll
13. 2 Bolt throwers ( i built them on my own when i found a how to THread in this Forum)

It would be cool if you do it like that :
32 Dwarf warrior → 25 Chaos dwarfs with One handend and shield; 7 blunderbusses.
1 Dragonslayer → Chaos dwarf sorcerer

And so on…

- SHould i make more bolt throwers? How much more? Its not that hard, so it would be no problem.

- Can someone of you help me maybe with how to guides or how to pictures?

Sooooo…thats it, its quite a long text, but i hope you can help me, but dont forget that you mustn awser to complicated :wink: Or i wont understand anything.

Thanks!

Edit: How many points could i build up with these armor?

Zanko:

Hi Sado!

So I try to answer your questions, but I’m also no expert in converting or using greenstuff.

1. You can buy Greenstuff at the Games Workshop (GW) Shops, or perhaps in shops like “Conrad” or other “Toy” or “Eisenbahnequipment” shops. Another opportunity are onlineshops.

2. In former times I ordered the bits directly at GW, I don’t know if this is anymore possible!?!?! I presume ebayand onlineshops are also a good possibility!

3. ?, in the moment no special idea, perhaps later …

4. Watch the YouTube videos from Xander and look in the showcase section, there you will find many inspirations.

The Night goblins are nice Hobgoblins, the Dwarfs will become CDs and so on.

Where do you come from Germany? If you will ask special questions in german just PM or Mail me! Cause I’m also a german guy :wink:

:hashut

Thorne:

1. Where to buy greenstuff?

Greenstuff uncommonly known as Kneadalite is can be purchased via

Heresey minitures

How expensive is it? How much i need? Is it to complicated for a beginner like me?

Its quite expensive but a little practice will get you a long way
2. Where to get Bits like arms, heads and masks and wapons of chaos?

Bits ect ect can be got from ebay
you will see things like bead caps (Sometimes even simple beadscan make a cool unusual miniture) , Push pins (for maps or noticeboards) but the main thing is to think on how you really like/want your army to look

3.WHat to buy else? I have glue.

4. What should i convert to what? I have:
1. 32 Dwarf warrior with Axe and SHield ( within 2 x CSM (CSM means : Champ, Standard, musican)

(from my assumption that is 16 chaos dwarves with sheild and axe ? )

2. 23 Dwarf shot guns (within 2 x CSM) (23 blunderbusses)

3. 16 Miners (wizhin 32 x CSM) (chaos dwarves with great weapon ?)

4. 3  Dragonslayer (Potential galoer?)

5. 3 THane (despot probably)

6. 2 Canons (within 3 man crew each, that means 6 man crew all together) (2 deathrockets maybe wiht a little work )

(2 20 men hobgoblin regiments maybe ?)

(20 hobgoblin archers ?)

9. 1 Goblin SHaman
(perhaps a simple conversion with greenstuff when practiced to turn into a chaos dwarf sorcerer ? )

10. 1 Goblin Gargboss
(not entirely sure what you mean here but perhaps after your more familir with greenstuff then another chaos dwarf hero ? )

(little work maybe hobgoblin spider riders as hobgoblin wolfboy archers ? )

12. 1 Troll

13. 2 Bolt throwers ( i built them on my own when i found a how to THread in this Forum)

It would be cool if you do it like that :
32 Dwarf warrior -> 25 Chaos dwarfs with One handend and shield; 7 blunderbusses.
1 Dragonslayer -> Chaos dwarf sorcerer

And so on....

- SHould i make more bolt throwers? How much more? Its not that hard, so it would be no problem.

- Can someone of you help me maybe with how to guides or how to pictures?

Sooooo.....thats it, its quite a long text, but i hope you can help me, but dont forget that you mustn awser to complicated ;) Or i wont understand anything.

Thanks!

Edit: How many points could i build up with these armor?
[/quote]

If you run low on a budget and want near a cheap army look at these guys

eM4 plastic orc and dwarves

Thorne:

I have also seen golf tee’s used as hats

Many people here use the pushpins if you know what I mean are as shown below

Another usefull document for reading could be

http://www.miez.nl/putty-n-paint/tutes/sculpting_tut01.pdf

Sado2912:

In the BFSP Boxx are usualy 12 Dwarf warriors with axe, but i bought some on ebay cheaply so i have much more.

snowblizz:

Greenstuff is much cheaper if bought from other places than GW. It is the same thing just not package by GW and subject to GW-mark up.

Essentially the larger the batch you buy in one go the cheaper you get it.

It isn’t hard to learn to use, but it does take some practice. But that goes for anything really. At least if you start out young when you get to the age most of us seem to be you’ll be reasonably good modeller/painter/sculptor. And not just a mediocre hack vainly trying too keep up with the beardlings, like me. :s :hat off

Edit: Of course to be completely honest I don’t exactly consider Chaos Dwarfs a prime candidate for a beginners army. What with difficulty of getting the rules for the army, rather vague official status and being forced to make your own models.

Sado2912:

Edit: Of course to be completely honest I don’t exactly consider Chaos Dwarfs a prime candidate for a beginners army. What with difficulty of getting the rules for the army, rather vague official status and being forced to make your own models.

snowblizz:

1.I found a German Homepage, where i could download the Chaos dwarf rules als bdf file.

2. I think Chaos dwarfs are a good decission for me, because I was thinking the whole time about which army i am goin to play. It alwasy went around like This " Ill take orks... no Dwarves...but orks are so cool, i take them!... dwarfs!" and so on. Because of the combined dwarves and orcs in one army (chaos dwarfs) its a good decission for me.

3. If i make my Chaos dwarfs on my own, Ill have a stronger connection to my army.

4. Ill be a rare player :)

But thanks that you care for me :D
COuld you maybe send me a link, where i can find cheaper greenstuff which is not from gw?

Sado2912
Those are some of the reasons for a CD army, yeah. I'm just working from the principle of full disclosure. Few things make me sadder than people who start, take water over their heads and then quit, usually loosing out on a bunch of money as they dump their stuff on e-bay.
We have a lot of young gamers in my club so I see a lot of traffic pass by so to speak.
Maelstrom sells GF9 greenstuff, ordered some not too long ago. There are even cheaper places to get it I'm sure, I haven't compared the Heresy Miniatures price e.g. but Maelstrom has free shipping and a weak pound. Hard to argue with! It pays to check some sources out.
http://www.maelstromgames.co.uk/index.php?act=pro&pre=gf9_hob_mod_scu_101_000

Kera foehunter:

I type Green stuff on e-bay

and get the one that has a blue tube and yellow tube

stay away from the ribbon! Because where thew blue and yellow meet it sometime already hard

glorin:

Hello,

Sado2912 you asked all in the world, or? But not in German CD-Foren! ^^ (You can asked in Germany und we have more Forums than Tabletopwelt and warhammerboard…) ^^

I think you should heed my advice! Asked in Germanforen because we know Germanshops with Greenstuff…

If you ask in Germany, I will answer all you questions. :slight_smile: Or you send me a PN.

Zanko:

@ glorin: Why should it be wrong to ask such a huge and friendly community for help and advice?

IMO to be a German or to represent a German Forum don´t qualify anyone to be the “only” one to give advice.

I think this way of making promotion for your own Forum is wrong , moreover unpleasent.

This includes the instruction to ask in German to get an answer from you …

Apropos! Sado 2912 already got answers and proposals! IMO that indicates the kindness of CDO :hat off

:hashut

Baggronor:

Why should it be wrong to ask such a huge and friendly community for help and advice? IMO to be a German or to represent a German Forum don´t qualify anyone to be the "only" one to give advice. I think this way of making promotion for your own Forum is wrong , moreover unpleasent.
I'm sure he didn't mean it in a bad way and if discussing things in German is going to help, then so much the better.

Look through the army galleries on this forum before you start, and decide how you want your army to look (masks or hats? Plate armour or scale? etc). There are some very good ideas that will be helpful :)

I think all the best suggestions have been made and you have enough models to make a pretty nice army already, good luck :)

Grimstonefire:

Hi

You’d have to email him for a quote to post to germany, but this place is the cheapest I know of to get greenstuff:

http://www.tiranti.co.uk/subdivision_product_list.asp?Subcategory=42&Subdivision=339

It comes folded twice, which in my opinon is better than being on a roll.

A bit of advice for anyone sculpting chaos dwarfs is to always start with those in the back ranks first and leave the character models until last.  This way you will have practice and they will look better.

2. 23 Dwarf shot guns (within 2 x CSM)

I’d make this 25 Chaos Dwarf warriors, 15 Blunderbussers with CSM and 15 Blunderbussers with 2 x CSM (you would have to convert the second command into either regular warriors or blunderbussers)

3. 16 Miners (within 32 x CSM)

12. 1 Troll

Not sure if that is 16 or 32, but if it is 16 use the troll as a space filler

4. 3  Dragonslayer

If battle for skull pass ones throw in bin :wink:

5. 3 THane

Convert into 1 lord/ hero, one into a battle standard, and save the other for a great taurus rider in the future :wink:

6. 2 Cannons (within 3 man crew each, that means 6 man crew all together)

Death Rockets

Hobgoblins

9. 1 Goblin SHaman

10. 1 Goblin Gargboss

Hobgoblin heroes

Hobgoblin ‘wolf’ riders.  Keep them on spiders, easier and cheaper just to use them instead of wolves unconverted.

Bolt throwers

glorin:

Me it does not go strengthening therefore my forum. Much more around it the Sado goes to me in several forums to asks, but after 1-2 questions simply again the forum changes. Thus do I ask consider myself it the Community in other forums stupid? But from it times apart, it is simply shits different in 3 forums of it asks to the chaos dwarves to read. I white no more into which forum I to still answer am and which he no more do not read�?�

PS. Yahoo lets greet :hat off

Baggronor:

Me it does not go strengthening therefore my forum. Much more around it the Sado goes to me in several forums to asks, but after 1-2 questions simply again the forum changes. Thus do I ask consider myself it the Community in other forums stupid? But from it times apart, it is simply shits different in 3 forums of it asks to the chaos dwarves to read. I white no more into which forum I to still answer am and which he no more do not read�?�

PS. Yahoo lets greet
? :)

GRNDL:

Glorin appears to be upset that he’s answered Sado’s questions in several other forums, but Sado keeps posting threads asking the same questions. He’s written his answers to Sado’s questions, but feels Sado doesn’t read the responses he’s given.

I think.

Firehammer:

1.) Gale Force 9 Greenstuff is cheaper and more than GW Greenstuff. Many independent “Fantasy Stores” have them. But this shop also has it and is perhaps the best online-store in Germany, including researching non-GW miniatures: http://www.battlefield-berlin.de/shop/index.php .

2.) There are many bitz-stores on ebay, if you search the German, UK and US ebay for it. There are other stores like http://www.bitzbox.co.uk/ , GAMES WORKSHOP 40K WARHAMMER BITZ SKITARII DEVASTATOR SPACE MARINES ELDAR , Search Results - Noble Knight Games (USA, expensive). If items are out of stock (they often are), write them an email. It sometimes helps.

3.) Remember that you only need as many points as your opponent. So you can have fun with 500 points or 3000 points. Start slow, esp. when you have to convert everything. It should stay fun. So I would start with one standard unit of Warriors and one general. When it is ready, the next unit.

Just some thoughts.

Taedae:

dont forget a pair of siscors/clippers that can cut really well. GW has some, but you can get a pair from any hobbies store/online minitures store, a file to smooth off edges (may not need it but i think they are useful), paint, paintbushes, a painting area, and the most inportant…time.

Khunag:

If you run low on a budget and want near a cheap army look at these guys

eM4 plastic orc and dwarves

Thorne
I recommend those too, simple but nice miniatures and very cheap, i'm building my Chaos Dwarfs army only using those. Those orcs make very good hobgoblins, cause they're just the right size.

Scion:

How big are they?

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.