[Archive] Chaos Dwarf Army Book by Thommy H

Thommy H:

I think it might go better on a chariot base now, since I’ve simplified it quite a bit. It compares with the Dark Elf Cauldron and Shrine. I don’t have strong feelings about it though.

With regards to the Magma Cannon: I agree it seems a bit underwhelming. There are two issues with adding something to it though. First, giving it extra range is the same as the Dwarf Flame Cannon, and I don’t want to just copy those rules (I’ve already lifted quite a few Dwarf rules in this book!). Secondly, adding more rules means that bestiary entry will have to take up an extra page! Now, I actually always planned for the war machines page to take up a two-page spread (thus allowing me to use Igorvet’s Death Rocket art in all its landscape-aspect glory) but in the end I couldn’t justify that. Now, I do have a spare page I can use (the story opposite the Lore of Hashut can be removed easily enough), but it does mean a bit of rejigging.

So, if you can think of a good way of making the Magma Cannon interesting, I’ll see if I can incorporate it. I don’t want extra range, but I’m thinking maybe making the hits more dangerous somehow, or perhaps giving it some ability to stand and shoot (“Wall of Death”, like 40K Overwatch with flamers…).

Or I can just drop the points if it seems a bit useless as it is.

JMR:

The Cauldron of Blood is on a 60x100 base actually.

I’m mocking up a conversion for an altar right now. At first I thought a 100x150 base would be way too big, but looking at it now, it would make for a fantastic centrepiece.

…perhaps 60x100 works too.

As for the Magma Cannon; I don’t know how to fix it. I haven’t given it any thought really.
A points drop makes anything viable when it gets cheap enough. It would have a use in a static gunline army, I guess. Even then I doubt you’d be able to shoot it more than once per game.
Otherwise I think it would have to become more mobile to make up for it’s short range. I’ve always liked the weapon teams in the old IndyGT book. I think they were called Eruption guns. This doesn’t suit the Forge World model however.

The standard Fire Thrower rules in the rulebook just don’t really work, in my opinion.

Thommy H:

Whatever looks best!

GDD:

I would at least make it do d3 wounds when it hits. And bring down the points a little bit.
Currently it shoots the 8,3" teardrop forward about 6 " on average.
If you deploy it next to your combat blocks, and wait for the charge you’l catch even fast infantry, but nothing faster.
So thats one shot per game pretty much. Two if the opponent fails his charge.

The dwarf one is 25 points more expensive, but has d3 wounds,
and can choose to shoot the template 18" forward on average. You can also customize it heavily, and make it S6.

If it was a cheap S5 d3 wounds flame thrower I would use it.
What you pay for in Tamurkhan is d3 wounds, and rage that reaches the board edge on turn one.
Without any risky shots like the dwarf version has.

I still think Dawii ZHARR should have a good flame cannon, even if it is a cheap version, or an elite one.

(EDIT): I would prefer the Altar to be on the smaller size! :smiley:

Thommy H:

Looking at the rules, I think I thought it did D3 Wounds already for some reason, but I see the base profile for a fire thrower is different from the Flame Cannon’s shot now! So I think D3 Wounds is an obvious change, and I’ll possibly think up some other special rule or upgrade it can have. There will need to be a bit of editing though now - hopefully I can add this in with minimal re-jigging by shifting the Hellbound rules over to the Engines of Destruction page, but we’ll see…

JMR:

Page 43, Altars of Hashut, first sentence: “The fell rituals of Father of Darkness that are performed in the Temple of Hashut,”

GDD:

Some questions about the books contents!

The Altar of Hashut says it has acolytes on it numerous times, including in the stats box,
however only one gets to attack? Am I right to imagine this is because the others are busy operating it?

The “Pyrophant” artowrk is my single favorite piece of CD artwork ever. However I can’t find it anywhere!
I tried looking a little bit in the art threads here, but due to age a lot of the pictures posted are unavailable.
Could you tell me who made it/where I can find it?

The hobgoblin wolf riders and Wolf Boss look amazing (Picture section), but I have never seen these before.
Are these conversions, or can I buy them somewhere? (I am assuming conversions…)

Sorry for the bother! (I’ve sort of been obsessed with this book as of late. Sorry for my spamming)

tjub:

On page 32 it say:

SLAVES

Units composed entirely of models with this special rule do not cause Panic tests when they are destroyed, break or flee through a friendly unit. Characters with the Slaves special rule may not join units without it and may not be your General.
Just to be clear, Slave unitss don’t cause panic even to other Slaves units?

tjub:

The hobgoblin wolf riders and Wolf Boss look amazing (Picture section), but I have never seen these before.
Are these conversions, or can I buy them somewhere? (I am assuming conversions..)

GDD
Do you mean Ishkur's? http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=227&pid=4542#pid4542

GDD:

Do you mean Ishkur's? http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=227&pid=4542#pid4542

tjub
Ah! Sorry, I guess I should have been more specific, haha.

I meant the ones in the middle of that same page (73 in the book, 77 in the pdf.)

It says "Hobgoblin Wolf Riders, Hobgoblin Wolf Boss" underneath the pictures.

(EDIT): While I am at it...

Another thing are the shields on page 70-71 in the book (75 pdf).
I feel like I've seen these shields everywhere, but no clue where they are from either!
So much crazy talent and knowledge on this site..

tjub:

tjub
Ah! Sorry, I guess I should have been more specific, haha.

I meant the ones in the middle of that same page (73 in the book, 77 in the pdf.)

It says "Hobgoblin Wolf Riders, Hobgoblin Wolf Boss" underneath the pictures.

(EDIT): While I am at it...

Another thing are the shields on page 70-71 in the book (75 pdf).
I feel like I've seen these shields everywhere, but no clue where they are from either!
So much crazy talent and knowledge on this site..

GDD
Ah, in that case they might be mine? They are conversions of Chaos Hounds, Goblin Wolfriders and some GS. You'll find more photos of them deep down in my blog... :)

The sheilds are from the Marauder box.

Thommy H:

The Altar of Hashut has two Acolyte crew members, but they each have one Attack. The Pyrophant artwork is by Baggronor. It should be around somewhere - try the Word of Hashut; one of the later ones I think.

JMR:

Page 61, Gorduz Backstabber. Second paragraph, first line: "Gorduz is a traitorous as all his kin,"

On the same page, under special rules, add “Ambusher”. Or, remove it from the army list section (page 87) :slight_smile:

Thommy H:

On page 32 it say:
SLAVES
Units composed entirely of models with this special rule do not cause Panic tests when they are destroyed, break or flee through a friendly unit. Characters with the Slaves special rule may not join units without it and may not be your General.
Just to be clear, Slave unitss don't cause panic even to other Slaves units?

tjub
That's right.

Thommy H:

New version is now uploaded, with typos kindly discovered by JMR corrected and the Magma Cannon tweaked so its hits are Strength 6 and it has the Multiple Wounds (D3) special rule. This has also necessitated a bit of tweaking in the layout of the relevant pages.

GDD:

d3 wounds s 6 is devastating, but that makes it a prime target, and it will probably only get to shoot once per game.

I would not take it.

I like the increase in strength though. It is MAGMA after all.

Thommy H:

Weren’t you the one asking for it to be improved? :~

tjub:

New version is now uploaded, with typos kindly discovered by JMR corrected and the Magma Cannon tweaked so its hits are Strength 6 and it has the Multiple Wounds (D3) special rule. This has also necessitated a bit of tweaking in the layout of the relevant pages.

Thommy H
Could you give us a list of the pages with rule updates, so I won't have to print it all again. ;)

GDD:

@Thommy I was! :stuck_out_tongue: Flame cannons are my favorite warmachine in the game. It’s just that the legion of Azgorh,
and Dwarf one can hit stuff more than once. This one feel like it’s 120 points for free against anti-warmachine stuff.
To be fair it touches stuff 14" away, but fast cav, eagles and such will avoid it.

It’s going to hit the first two ranks of a m6 army on average, and then it’s not going to get to shoot anymore.
That vs a maximum of 33 hits with a long range flame cannon.

I might take it if I was playing a complete gunline army, but I would generally not take it.

That is my honest review of it. I still love this book and it’s rules to bits, but the Zharr cannon falls a bit short sadly.

Thommy H:

Thommy H
Could you give us a list of the pages with rule updates, so I won't have to print it all again. ;)

tjub
Um all the pages JMR mentioned in this thread, also the Infernal Guard page (some rewording of the last sentence, which turned out to be gibberish), the Chaos Dwarf Artillery and Engines of Destruction pages, the splash page before the army list (again, gibberish sentence in the middle) and all the war machines in the army list, Gorduz Backstabber (removal of the Ambusher special rule)...I think that's it, apart from the page number for the Iron Daemon in the Summary. Oh and Contents I guess!