[Archive] Chaos Dwarf Army (three armies at once)

Stiglitz:

Hello, I’ve painted some testmodels…

First, I have to explain, why I’m speedpainting the models… :frowning:

My skills at painting have always been mediocre. In addition, I’m a very slow painter. This would be no big problem, but I have a short attention span and only play with painted models…

So, to complete an army project, I need good results fast! I’ve always searched for quick and effektive speedpainting techniques.

And at last, a couple of months ago, I found Greyscaling! The basic principle is to prime white, give it a black wash and then “paint” only with washes.

The problem with this technique is a limited range of colors (only the GW washes - fortunately a bit expanded lately). And especially the red is not very red, but more pinkish/violet.

My first try was to give the miniature a Carroburg Crimson layer after a layer of Fuegan orange.

Sadly, my photos are very poor in quality - it seems to be very orange, what’s absolutely not the case. In real, it is a rich red, but it has a violet hue. Looks not to bad, but in my feeling it is inapprobiate for CDs (and for warhammer - it looks 40k-ish for me somehow).

My next try was to give it two layers of Fuegan Orange and that will it be. I’m happy with it.

Sorry for the picture quality, there seems to be no big difference in colors, but it is a bright violet-red compared to a brownish-orange.

DAGabriel:

That is a nice result for that technique. Did you try it on a mini with 2k priming? Perhaps that would get an even better effect if you use a dar grey primer instead of black?
My problem is needing several days for one mini.
BTW, what program do you use to work on your pics?

JMR:

The problem with this technique is a limited range of colors (only the GW washes - fortunately a bit expanded lately).

Stiglitz
If you want more colours, you can buy glaze medium to create your own washes/glazes. I use Vallejo's glaze medium and I'm loving it. Just mix it with whatever GW colour you like and you've got yourself a new glaze.

CopperPot:

Grey scailing is a great technique but can be tricky using fully armoured models its better for cloth or skin areas on a model Big Squig on warseer has mastered this technique and has a great tutorial thread I’ll try and put a link up for you when I get a chance.

Stiglitz:

@ Copperpot: Yes, I found and read the thread from Big Squig. It was very inspirational for me. A great technique, changed my way of painting completely. I would not paint Space Marines or any tanks in this way, but Nurgle Marines or Nurgle Tanks would be ok, I think. I painted my Space Orks with this method.

@JMR: Yes, you are right. But with the glaze medium you can make glazes and not shades… shades work much better (at least, that’s what Big Squig says) its seems to be a difference... Maybe, I'll try it someday to look, if it functions... (Big Squig says, it's possible to mix the glazes with shades)...<br><br>@Gabriel: I used the fanatic army painter primer (white) for the minis. I don't do it in the open, I only have an open window and the air currents are difficult - the priming is not very evenly in many cases, I fear. <br>Is 2k priming a brand of primers? I dont prime them black, I prime white, paint the metals on and then give the whole miniature a black wash… For this mini the next steps were:

Drakenhof Nightshade for the beard and two layers of fuegan orange for the orange… sepia wash for the boots and that’s it… (devlan mud for the base)…

Computer Program to work on my pics? Erm… I take the pictures with my digi-cam, put them on my pc and upload them to photo-bucket… no working on them from my side, I fear…

JMR:

Yeah, I know there’s a difference between glazes and washes. I would’ve guessed glazes would actually work better for greyscaling. I think you can make washes by adding matte medium and some water to paints. Give it a google if you’re interested.

Stiglitz:

@JMR

Yes, I totally agree. I think, it’s logical for this method to work better with glazes than with washes. After all, the shading was already done with the black wash.

I’ve done it with washes and it works great. BigSquig says, glazes are not as good and I believe him…

But thanks for the tip about matte medium, I will try it some day…

Maybe it’s a way to make a metal wash? :cheers

Thorne:

Your first champion (the one shown first on this blog) should be your general, Somehow he seams to have that general looking presence. Its difficult to explian but he rocks.

Stiglitz:

Your first champion (the one shown first on this blog) should be your general, Somehow he seams to have that general looking presence. Its difficult to explian but he rocks.

Thorne
you mean this one?

CopperPot:

Take a look at thoume’s video on youtube painting orks using this technique once he has completed the grey scailing he uses normal gw paints and mixes with the washes giving a great effect like mixing a red with devlan mud giving the red an old worn look.

Stiglitz:

First unit painted.

Whole Unit Shot is very blurred, sorry for that.

Front view is sharper.

Stiglitz:

My Sorcerer-Prophet. He looks still kind of cute, but I like him.

Stiglitz:

Second unit of Dwarf Chaos Warriors / Infernal Guard finished.

A blurry shot of the whole unit:

and a better picture of the front rank:

DAGabriel:

Nice new pics, keep them coming. Regarding computer programs, have a look at GIMP, it is free and gives you some easy access to correcting colors or smaller lighting mistakes, easy rescaling of pics and so on. It looks rather complicated but the few things we need here are easy to find.

Kera foehunter:

sweetie can i ask you what colors you used on your guy i like the orangish look

Stiglitz:

Upps, sorry, I updated my last post - the first time I uploaded the pics of my first unit again… now, it’s pics of my second unit…

@Kera

Yes, you’re welcome.

The whole painting is made by Grayscaling (or Greyscaling)… The models were spray-primed with white. Then the metals were painted with platemail by army painter warpaints (quite similar to old GW chainmail, I think). Then the whole model got a thin wash of black.

From that point on, all is done with washes by GW. The beard is drakenhof nightshade, gold is made with lamenters yellow (glaze, no shade) and the orange is made with two layers of fuegan orange.

For the red, I painted one layer of Carroburg Crimson after the orange.

It is very quick and quite effective, I think. It’s a bit messy, though, but that’s mainly seen on the pictures and less in real.

Kera foehunter:

neat o i have to try this !

Stiglitz:

My BSB is finished… I got to remake his base to make him fit into a unit…

Detail shot of his banner…

And my second sorceror is finished, too.

Stiglitz:

So, first I want to make a short write-up of what I’ve got so far:

Legion of Azgorh:

1 deamonsmith 95

1 deamonsmith 95

1 infernal castellan, shield, battlestandard 132

1 unit of 25 infernal guard, champion, musician, standard bearer 332

1 unit of 30 infernal guard, champion, musician, standard bearer 392

total points without upgrades 1046

per the rules of normal dwarfs:

1 runesmith, shield 72

1 runesmith, shield 72

1 thain, shield, battle standard 92

1 unit of 30 clan warriors, great weapons, shields, champion, musician, standard bearer 355

1 unit of 25 clan warriors, great weapons, shields, champion, musician, standard bearer 300

…there are a couple of other options: I could use the 25er unit as longbeards (375) or hammerers with shields (355)…

Total points (without any upgrades) 891 �?" 946

per the rules of warriors of chaos (can’t say the points, I don’t have the army book)

1 chaos sorcerer

1 chaos sorcerer

1 battlestandard bearer

1 unit of 25 chaos warriors, great weapons, shields, champion, musician, standard bearer

1 unit of 30 chaos warriors, great weapons, shields, champion, musician, standard bearer

and a first �?zarmy shot�?o… it’s blurry, sorry for that

BABIS:

really nice style! :wink: