[Archive] Chaos Dwarf BSB (WIP Inside)

Aaroon42:

Hey folks, first post here. Just slapped this guy together the other night and was looking for some feedback and some ideas as to what kind of glorious beardy goodness should be painted on the banner. This seemed like the right repository of knowledge to come to.

Thoughts? I don’t own any of the old books or have any PDF’s of them. I’m the kind of guy who likes to re-vamp old artwork onto new models, so if you guys have any examples, I’d love to see them.

Additionally, I’m probably going to swap out the severed Dwarf head for something more sensible.

Looking forward to working with you, gentlemen. :hat off Once the rest of my 2,500 points arrives in the mail I hope to start a progress blog.

-Aaroon

Nicodemus:

There are some classic CD banner designs in the wiki here. Alternatively, the Rune of Hashut remains prominent in a lot of fan creations. I’ve also posted a representation of the helmed Chaos Dwarf visage from the side of the Dreadfleet Chaos Dwarf ship in by blog here (you’ll need to scroll about half way down the Arcane Fulcrum posting for the B&W image).

Cracked anvils, volcanoes and similar things are often popular as well. You could also go with a depiction of some of the Tamurkhan artwork, such as a molten fortress surrounded by smoky skies.

~N

Yodrin:

Nice and cool looking. I prefer a bigger banner on the BSB though;)

Zanthrax:

I like it but maybe a large icon on top of the banner too will really make it stand out as the bsb

Keep the updates coming

Nicodemus:

I like it but maybe a large icon on top of the banner too will really make it stand out as the bsb

Zanthrax
Adding tall flames would be an easy modification!

Aaroon42:

Nice and cool  looking. I prefer a bigger banner on the BSB though;)

Yodrin
Well, I figure with the other "banners" being the bull heads, I could use something a little understated and practical for once. Granted, I've left it to where the hand carrying the banner can be easily snapped off and replaced with a shield when Forge World eventually releases what I'm sure will be a much more bad-ass model.

With thanks to Nicodem, I think I'm going to try and revamp this one:

It's got just enough of a death metal album cover for me. :hashut

Nicodemus:

Excellent choice, that’s one of the specific ones I had in mind!

If you go here: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=7788&page=1 you can find the negative of that image at a little better resolution for making a mask for etching brass. Make the negative of that and crop out the piece you want… I’d provide the original vector-based drawing I used, but I seem to have backed it up off-line.

~N

Aaroon42:

Zanthrax
Adding tall flames would be an easy modification!

Nicodemus

Something like this? (Banner of Eternal Flame?)

Nicodemus:

Yes!! I’ve been hanging on to this tzeench bit for a similar purpose!

Aaroon42:

Yes!! I've been hanging on to this tzeench bit for a similar purpose!

Nicodemus

Welp, it's gonna be a HELL of a lot more greenstuff work than I was intending... but I don't think there's going to be any question as to who the BSB is... :P

Bloodbeard:

The paintscheme you’re planning is awesome - and pretty tough to get right.

I would have said you should make the banner higher to make it stand out. Now the BSB i standing on a rock and symbol and all those flames. No need to do that.

I imagine him using the banner as a weapon. Killing three of four dudes at a time with his burning weaon.

Yodrin:

I like this BSB much more now!!! LF to seeing this one painted!!

ClawLeader:

Looks nifty, and I am more like you in the idea of practical standards that aren’t grandiose.

Looks good.

Soulassassin:

Nice and cool  looking. I prefer a bigger banner on the BSB though;)

Yodrin
Im more of a "low standard" kind of guy... no, wait. ;P

I think the banner looks awesome, the flames just made it better. Skillz :cheers

Zanthrax:

Sweeeeeeeet banner

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

Aaroon42:

The paintscheme you're planning is awesome - and pretty tough to get right.

Bloodbeard
Well, I'm no stranger to a little creative freehanding but after looking at the design of the image and the layout of the actual banner, I'm afraid the center of focus might get obscured but the chains and such. I'm going to print out the photos I've taken and start sketching out a rough outline to make sure everything looks okay.

Once I get the banner suggestions hammered out, this whole thing will move over to army blogs. I'll update the main post when I that though.

Bloodbeard:

Bloody nice work! It’ll be a learning experience for me. For my own army I want cool banners too.

Looking forward to your results.

Nicodemus:

Nicely done. This is going to look damn good!

~N

BABIS:

very nice indeed!

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

Glimpse the Void:

I have just become embarrassed of my army BSB. That is to say, your work is amazing.