[Archive] Chaos Dwarf Flier - Ash Condor

GnollLordMgabe:

Drawing from Thommy H’s incredible 8th edition CD Army book…Still a fresh idea but fluff will be added on later - but to summarize, this is a large avian creature native to the Dark Lands that some view as a mockery of the phoenix though the Chaos Dwarfs see some usefulness in the breed for pets, clean-up after rituals, and mounts mainly for Pyrophants. Any comments on the rules and thoughts for some fluff would be nice to hear but for now enjoy ^^

Ash Vulture* M3 WS3 BS1 S4 T4 W2 I3 A2 Ld6

Points/model: 45

Unit Size: 1+

Troop Type: Monstrous Beast

Special Rules: Flaming Attacks; Fear; Fly; Ambushers

Ashen Steed - Pyrophants may take Ash Vultures as a mount option. This is selected as normal from the army list entry, but ignore the unit size restrictions. A Pyrophant mounted on an Ash Condor gains a +1 to all casting attempts.

Shroud of Ash: To represent this, all attacks (close combat and shooting) receive a -1 penalty to hit an Ash Vulture.

*The unit is taken as a Rare choice for a Chaos Dwarf army.

Skink:

Love the idea! I can really see a Chaos Dwarf riding an evil bird shrouded in smoke and made of magma & fire.

I’m not a gamer so I cannot comment on rules but regarding the name I would change the “condor” thing for two reasons:

1) Condor makes me thinking of the Andes (is it the right name in English?), which IMO are strictly connected with Ogre Kingdoms (high peaks = Mountains of Mourn)

2) In the real world Condors are giant Vultures aren’t they? By your description I imagined more a fallen Phoenix (something more eagle like)…

NoisyAssassin:

Pretty cool unit idea. I’m not very familiar with Thommy’s book, but if it is similar to LoA, this would plug a big weakness of the army, mainly fast, reliable redirectiors. While not as survivable as Eagles (lower T and W), they do have Ambushers to make up for it, and we have warmachines that love havng extra turns of shooting. With that in mind, I’d raise these to 55-60 pts and move them to Rare. Also, the Armor Piercing when used as a mount doesn’t seem to make a lot of sense? Perhaps giving them a -1 to be hit with shooting attacks due to the clouds of ash that surround them?

Otherwise a very cool unit that I could see fitting very well with the fluff of CD. And I really like the name, but mostly just because it sounds cool.

Thommy H:

You don’t need Skirmish in there - all units with the Fly special rule automatically have it. The price is too high - it’s more than three times the similarly-sized Fell Bats. I think 25 - 30 points is probably about right for these. Also, why does a Pyrophant get Armour Piercing when he rides them? It might be better if they gave him a more direct benefit, like a bonus to cast or channel or something.

It’s a good idea though - even if I’m not sure quite how my book inspired it!

GnollLordMgabe:

You don't need Skirmish in there - all units with the Fly special rule automatically have it. The price is too high - it's more than three times the similarly-sized Fell Bats. I think 25 - 30 points is probably about right for these. Also, why does a Pyrophant get Armour Piercing when he rides them? It might be better if they gave him a more direct benefit, like a bonus to cast or channel or something.

It's a good idea though - even if I'm not sure quite how my book inspired it!

Thommy H
Lol thank you so Thommy and ya guys so much for the comments! I will fix up some of it though I am still open for fluff/background for the Condor.

GnollLordMgabe:

NOTE = Points have been lowered, the unit now Rare and Pyrophants now gain +1 bonus for casting attempts while mounted.

cornixt:

1) Condor makes me thinking of the Andes (is it the right name in English?),

Skink
Exactly what i was thinking.
which IMO are strictly connected with Ogre Kingdoms (high peaks = Mountains of Mourn)
No, the Lizardmen are really the only guys around there, the mountains of Mourn are on the other side of the world.

GnollLordMgabe:

1) Condor makes me thinking of the Andes (is it the right name in English?),

Skink
Exactly what i was thinking.
which IMO are strictly connected with Ogre Kingdoms (high peaks = Mountains of Mourn)
No, the Lizardmen are really the only guys around there, the mountains of Mourn are on the other side of the world.

cornixt
So does this mean I might to change the name?

CopperPot:

Why not just Ash Vulture or something along those lines.

GnollLordMgabe:

Why not just Ash Vulture or something along those lines.

CopperPot
Hmm...Maybe. I am still open for fluff ideas and if anyone want to try this out, feel free - I am very open to hear how the unit does for the army overall.

Discoking:

I imagine ash being everywhere whilst it is flapping / fighting.

-1 to hit in combat & from shooting seems an obvious one

Personally I agree about the Condor thing;

Perhaps being called an Ash Phoenix…

And it having Regen 5+.

Or returns to life on a 6+ after it dies.

In either case, a points increase would needed.

Also, I would change its ground movement to 2.

With it being a monstrous beast, I feel it should have T4. Or at least 3 wounds.

GnollLordMgabe:

I imagine ash being everywhere whilst it is flapping / fighting.

-1 to hit in combat & from shooting seems an obvious one

Personally I agree about the Condor thing;
Perhaps being called an Ash Phoenix...
And it having Regen 5+.
Or returns to life on a 6+ after it dies.

In either case, a points increase would needed.

Also, I would change its ground movement to 2.
With it being a monstrous beast, I feel it should have T4. Or at least 3 wounds.

Discoking
Hmm...I should do the ash cloud thing though this is not a phoenix to state - it is similar but is not. But why a slower movement?

CopperPot:

Isnt a phoenix a mythical sacred fire bird that is amazing to look at and sings a beautiful song sounds to nicey nice for the plains of zharr.

with the fluff you have given so far Vulture sounds more interesting to me.

Discoking:

An Ash Phoenix would be like the anti Fire Phoenix…

Or a corrupt parody of one.

Kept as pets by the rich, & mounts by the brave.

I say M2, because a bird often doesn’t walk far or fast, or both.

That’s why they fly. (unless they’re flightless!)

Look at any other avian unit’s stats.

It’ll be M2.

GnollLordMgabe:

Wow, can’t believe this is a HOT thread lol - Still open for background ideas and such here ^^

GnollLordMgabe:

Hmm…It’s quiet…TOO QUIET

Taurian:

Interesting idea.  It’s more so because whenever I run across rare birds (OK, I didn’t literally mean “birds” when I typed that) on eBay, I can’t help but bid on them as long as the value is reasonable just for the potential of being used somewhere.  I’ve bought an old goblin mounted on a pterodactyl before as well as the recent purchase pictured below.  I can’t help but feel that one of them could work well in such a role.  It’s worth thinking about, anyway.

MLP:

I love the idea, better than magic carpet castellans! Personallty I think 45 points is too low though, although the rules seem fitting they confer great benifit to the rider. -1 to hit in combat and shooting is quite powerful, mark of nurgle does similar but lowers enemy WS in combat by 1 instead (they don’t like the idea of needing 6’s to hit I think). Also Mark of Nurgle is a 30 point upgrade for most characters so in that respect you’re giving the ash vulture away for 15 points!

I think the shroud of ash should be -1 WS and increrease points to 60 should make it fair.

Taurian, great model idea get in painted up!

GnollLordMgabe:

Likewise from me, some models to represent the Ash Condor/Vulture would be swell though I now am wishing for some word on how the unit works in actual gameplay lol

GnollLordMgabe:

I…LIVE…!!

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.