[Archive] Chaos Dwarf in Knight of the Realm

Grimstonefire:

Very interesting stuff! I like the use of mespotamian gods, it’s clear that GW still refer to them after all these years (they used Nergal).

I really should try and get one of these books (this one or palace of the plague lord), to try and get into the mindset of the modern CD. They don’t seem too different to Dwarfs at some levels, calling humans manlings and being highly critical of men and anything man made.

Kera foehunter:

He sound charming to me !!! Sounds like just like Tallhat, when i don’t Feed him!!and he is in the corner in my Basement waitiing

So yes !! he a cd

cornixt:

There seems to be a lack of any other Dwarf crew for the machine, either they are really in the background, are not Dwarfs, or the machine is small enough not to need more than one. Sounds like he’ll be in the book later on, keep us updated!

Loki:

Good news there is more CD action to come :smiley: i think my next post will cover all the points raised from every one, i have another 3-4 pages to type up all about Zumarah and his daemon construct, i wont reveal much now as it will spoil it for you all, i will try and get it written up and posted this evening if not then tomorrow morning :smiley:

Kera foehunter:

can’t wait !! * Kera make some popcorn and waits to here more*

Groznit Goregut:

I think the term “stunted bastard” has to be taken in context. It is from the viewpoint of the character. The character consideres the chaos dwarf (and probably all dwarfs) to be “stunted bastards”. The text was regarding what he was thinking and therefore from his perspective. It wasn’t from a 3rd party viewpoint that understood everything in the game world.

I’m curious. Is this a new book? If so, there seems to be a number of new Chaos Dwarf sightings in the past year, no? Some in novels. Others in army books. Maybe they are setting the stage?

Loki:

This is a new book Groznit it has been out for about a week now so very new indeed

Thommy H:

I think the term "stunted bastard" has to be taken in context. It is from the viewpoint of the character. The character consideres the chaos dwarf (and probably all dwarfs) to be "stunted bastards". The text was regarding what he was thinking and therefore from his perspective. It wasn't from a 3rd party viewpoint that understood everything in the game world.
Um...yeah. Obviously. That wasn't exactly the point I was making at the beginning of this thread.

Kera foehunter:

need more loki !! Now kera has her blanket and kicks back and wait to her more

Loki:

Hope the pop corn is still warm Kera because here is the next instalment of CD action :smiley:

Ok the scene is a large Bretonnian force of 10,000 knights and about 5 times that of peasants about to due battle the a huge chaos force in the middle of a blizzard the knights have just charged in to the chaos lines and are starting to get bogged down.

A dark red spitting light shot up through the blizzard and exploded overhead.

That�?Ts the signal, snarled Zumarah to his dark kin, his eyes gleaming. He spoke in his native tongue, a guttural language not unlike the sound of gears grinding and rocks being crushed.

The Chaos Dwarf gazed adoringly at Ereshkigal-Namtar, his beloved priceless daemon-construct.

Zumarah had personally overseen its creation in the nightmarish hellforges deep below the scorched surface of Zarr-Naggrund. For over fifty years he had slaved over its construction, barely allowing himself or his slave crew any rest so consumed was he in his obsessive work. Thousands of slaves had perished during its forging. These ones had their life fluids drained from their bodies, their bones and gristle ground to powder, and this viscous mix was added to the alloys, tempering them and dyeing the metal of the great beast a ruby blood-bronze.

Upon the completion of the physical, inert form of the infernal machine, he had been present for fifty days and fifty nights of ritual and ceremony as great Hashut�?Ts high priests infused it with eternal daemon-twins.

Ereshkigal and Namtar had been the their names of these malicious daemons of blood, rage and industry, and they struggled hard against their bindings, screaming and roaring as they strained to break their bonds and rip the high priests, and Zumarah, apart from the inside out. Nevertheless, their struggles had been in vain, and they had now been caged within his daemon-construct for over a decade.

Its construction was a thing of beauty, and Zumarah felt a jealous pride as he looked upon Ereshkigal-Namtar exalted form.

It was the size of a small house, standing almost fifteen feet tall and some twenty feet long, and weighed more than a fully laden Norse dragon ship. Indeed, transporting the infernal machine across the seas had not been an easy task, but one that, if the norscan�?Ts word could be valued, would be worth this while.

Ereshkigal-Namtar had not accepted its imprisonment, and still it strained against its bonds. Steam rose from its brazen body, and runes that glowed with heat shimmered across its form. Ensorcelled chains, each link the size of a man�?Ts head, bound the daemon engine, connected to its bronze body and pounded deep into the ground to hold it in place. Chunks of shiny black volcanic rock engraved with runes glowed like lava as they exerted their power of containment upon the twin daemons locked inside the machine.

The bulk of the engine�?Ts weight was borne upon a pair of immense, spiked wheels, each taller than a ogre, and filled with hundreds of intricate, interconnected cogs and wheels that were in constant motion. The barrel of the engine�?Ts gaping, tooth-filled maw, which was wide enough to swallow a horse with ease, was rimmed with more runes of binding and the stink of sulphur, blood and death rose from within.

The brass flanks of the daemon engine rippled with movement as the daemons struggled vainly to escape, and a myriad of gargoyle �?"like faces pressed forth from within, each one more horrific than the last as they snarled and reached for Zumarah.

The stony-skinned dwarf laughed at them. Ready Ereshkigal-Namtar for firing, he growled over his shoulder to his two kinsmen.

Belonging of a lower caste level than he, these two chaos dwarfs wore simple masks of metal over their faces rather than the tall helmets of the nobility, and heavy apron of leather, with stripes of metal woven into them, protected their squat bodies from the heat of their daemon-machine charge. The bowed their heads to their forge master and moved forwards to align the cog-runes for firing.

Hellcannon the norscans had called his beloved daemon engine. Zumarah liked the name. It was appropriate and fitted well.

A dozen black orcs slaves with heads bowed in dog-like submission squatted near the engine, their powerful bodies covered in scars and burns. As Zumarah�?Ts kins-men aligned the cog-runes, the heat from Ereshkigal-Namtar increased exponentially as its power grew, and the black orcs whimpered, turning their heads away. Creatures sorcerously bred for servitude by the high priests of Hashut in ages long past, each of the black orcs wore a collar of iron around their necks.

Thick chains connected each collars, and just like the daemon engine that they tended, the ends of this chain had been hammered into the ground.

Zumarah turned towards the battlefield below, and although it was all but completely obscured from view by the roaring blizzard, he knew that his estimations of the distance and trajectory were accurate.

He grinned to himself, his eyes blazing with hatred and his tusks pressing against the stony flesh of his cheeks as he imagined the carnage about to be unleashed.

Fire he growled.

I think that that answers every one questions and then some :smiley:

Good to see the reference to big hats and black orc slaves cant wait for his next appearance

Loki:

ask and you shall recive Kera :slight_smile:

Thommy H:

Hey, awesome - I like the stuff about castes and big hats! It matches my vision of Chaos Dwarfs very closely. Also, it sounds like this thing is just a Hellcannon, though the two rival daemons bound in the same machine is interesting given my entry for the Artisan’s Contest…

Terrible, terrible writing though. This book sounds awful. Makes me glad I don’t buy Games Workshop’s “literature”.

Border Reiver:

Some of the books from Black Library aren’t bad - Nick Kyme, Gav thorpe, Dan Abnett, Graham McNeil and Bill King are decent authors.

Granted some of the stuff they turn out is done by a bunch of guys who are new and seemingly trying to break into the field by writing set piece books. and this sounds like one of those books.

cornixt:

I don’t think the writing is that bad, but there are quite a few things that a half-decent editor should have changed.

Fits nicely with my view of the CDs: big hats for the high ranks, nothing for the lower. Black Orcs in there too!

GRNDL:

Belonging of a lower caste level than he, these two chaos dwarfs wore simple masks of metal over their faces rather than the tall helmets of the nobility,

Loki
Muahahahhahh!! Muahahhahahh!!!!

The Hatmet shall rule!!

Kera foehunter:

Kera turn off the light and goes to sleep

what a great bed time story she thinks to her self

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZ

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Hazkar:

daemons of blood,rage and industry?industry?is industry now an official part of the chaos?

Revlid:

daemons of blood,rage and industry?industry?is industry now an official part of the chaos?

Hazkar
Likely some variety of obscure Khornate daemon - Khorne used to be god of machinery as well as rage, blood, war, etc. Hence the Juggernauts, and the Chaos Dwarfs worshipping him in TLatD.

Thommy H:

There are Daemons of everything. The big four powers just get all the publicity.

Revlid:

I couldn’t resist, and vaguely wish this warmachine had shown up before the Warmachine Rules Competition.

https://discourse.chaos-dwarfs.com/t/10737