[Archive] Chaos Dwarf in Knight of the Realm

Loki:

I have just stated reading the new black library book Knight of the Realm by Anthony Reynold and only 9 pages in i found this :

�?oNone caught his eye, and conversation silenced as he passed.  Even the massive warhounds of the tribe, stalking around the periphery of the feast, cowed before him, whimpering and snarling.

One pair of eyes did not lower, and the seer threw a glance towards the squat, inhuman figure seated in a dim corner of the hall. He saw malice and hatred in those eyes, and returned the glare briefly.

How he would love to cut the heart from that one and devour it before life faded from the stunted bastard�?Ts eyes.

Dragging his gaze away from the dark dwarf, the seer continued to make his way through the press of warriors.�?�

Thommy H:

Actually, I think the phrase “stunted bastard” implies that he’s actually a human - i.e. a person with dwarfism, rather than an actual Dwarf, Chaos or otherwise. I could be wrong, but that’s how I read it.

Baggronor:

squat, inhuman figure
the dark dwarf
Sounds like an evil Dwarf to me :)

Loki:

squat, inhuman figure
the dark dwarf
Sounds like an evil Dwarf to me :)

Baggronor
Thats how i read it Baggronor :)
i just hope that he has a part to play in this book am only 40 pages in so far but will be reading more tonight, it seems odd to have the seer pay such attention to him and not bring him in to the book again so fingers crossed will get some chaos dwarf action before the end :D

GRNDL:

Could just be a regular dwarf, described by someone who doesn’t like dwarfs. Regular dwarfs can express hatred and disdain as well you know…

wallacer:

The words “inhuman” and “dark dwarf” would tend to imply a CD to me.

Thanks for posting that, Loki.

GRNDL:

"inhuman figure seated in a dim corner of the hall"

Dwarfs are in-human, they are dwarfs, not humans…
Dark could just mean how he was dressed, his temperament or even his current lighting (note “dim corner”).

When they describe the curled beard, or filthy nature, or constant swearing, or skulls and gold tied into the beard, as they did in Palace of the Plague Lord, then I’ll accept it as a CD.  

Till then, your implications are just that. Implications.

Loki:

that�?Ts a valid point GRNDL, but why would he be in a hall of chaos warriors in the middle of a feast if he was a normal dwarf , even if he was a slave he would not be in there at this time and if he was he certainly not sitting in the corner of the hall doing nothing he would be fetching drinks and the like

GRNDL:

You tell me, you’re the one reading the book!

Loki:

I think that this next extract will show that the dark dwarf is really a chaos dwarf enjoy :slight_smile:

the following is from pages 92-95

�?oWhy do we linger here, manling?�?� snarled a voice like rocks grinding against each other, and Styrbjorn turned from staring into the flames to regard the craggy face of Zumarah.

The dwarf stood no taller than a norscan boy of ten years, though he was almost as broad as he was tall. His chest was immense, and his thick limbs were easily as strong as any norscan�?Ts. The fire of hatred burnt in the dwarfs deep set eyes, and a double row of lumps protruded from beneath the flesh along the ridge of his brow.

Styrbjorn did not know if these studded growths had been implanted beneath the flesh, or weather they were gifts of the gods. The pair of tusks that rose from his lower jaw, however, were certainly evidence of the gods�?T touch. The dwarfs skin was tough and stony, the texture of rough granite and a deep, ruby colour, and a thick beard, as black as coal and bound into a dozen tight, ringletted coils wound with meteoric iron hung down past his waist.

�?oWe linger here because I wish it dwarf�?� said Styrbjorn.

You promised me slaves norscan growled Zumarah, and I would have them . so far I have seen none.

These ones were promised to the gods said Styrbjorn, gesturing to the impaled figures arrayed around the edge of the dais. Those still living cried out for death, but no one harkened to their pleas. And I would not seek to anger the gods by denying them, for you or any other mortal. Be patient, Zumarah �?" tonight was just a skirmish; the real battle will come soon. You shall have what you were promised.

My services do not come freely, norscan snarled Zumarah, nor do they come cheaply. And Ereskigalnamtar hungers.

Your daemon-construct shall feed soon. I have given my word dwarf kin and the word of Skaeling Jarl is not given lightly. Your geld shall be honoured.

The dwarf snarled, setting his feet solidly and glaring up at the seated jarl. Hatred and vitriol oozed from the dwarfs every pore.

Do not think to cheat me out of my dues manling growled Zumarah.

The greed of the dark dwarfs was unlike anything Styrbjorn had ever experienced. It went beyond passion, beyond desire. It was more akin to a burning need, a desperate compulsion for acquiring wealth and slaves far beyond what they could ever need. Still it mattered little.

The daemon Construct that Zumarah had crafted and bound to his will was a weapon of awesome power and destruction. He had first seen its power in action against the Aesgars and it had levelled their fort in moments. The destruction it had wrought was wondrous and terrible.

The rest of my fleet is two days behind us said Styrbjorn. We will wait here until their arrival before we push onto the main land.

You have such little faith in the strength of your warriors you must wait for reinforcements? Sneered Zumarah.

Bjarki hissed, exposing his sharply filed teeth and rattled a bone charm threateningly. The dwarf looked at the Skaeling seer with a look of derision and contempt. You think I fear your curses, bane-spinner? Snarled the dwarf. Stay your tongue or I will rip it out.

Bjarki leapt to his feet, his face flushing with anger, but Styrbjorn laid a hand on his shoulder, keeping him from lashing out.

Two days we wait here said Styrbjorn, This is my decision and there is to be no discussion. The gods caused the seas to rise in anger and the ships bearing my tuskers has been delayed; I wish so see how these Bretonnians fare against such beasts and we will not attack with out them.  

The dwarf regarded the jarl defiantly, refusing to be cowed by the big norscan chieftain. The stony-faced creatures beard split in to a grin.

We understand each other you and I said the dwarf. This is good two days.

With that Zumarah turned and strode away from the jarl, his short legs and heavy body build giving him a oddly rolling gait.

this really answers the question of weather or not he is a CD but does open new ones such as what is Ereskigalnamtar from what they say its sounds like a hell cannon the way that it levelled their fort in moments but it could be a new daemon construct that we have not heard of or even a Kollossus :smiley: time well tell i am sure as i work my way through the book so will post more as soon as i read it

Thommy H:

�?oWhy do we linger here, manling?�?�
They're ripping me off!

Sjoerdo:

Thank for you for this Loki!

I think that this next extract will show that the dark dwarf is really a chaos dwarf enjoy :slight_smile:

the following is from pages 92-95

Loki

Ancient History:

Ereskigalnamtar isn’t a proper Dwarfish word (at least from the Khazalid we know and love) but a conjunction of Ereshkigal (goddess of the underworld) and Namtar (god of geath, messenger of Ereshkigal) in Mesopotamian mythology.

Thommy H:

Interesting - looks like the Mesopotamian theme is still in.

cornixt:

�?oWhy do we linger here, manling?�?�
They're ripping me off!

Thommy H
I initially thought he was quoting one of your stories! I've not read any black library for a long time so I don't know how typical it is for dwarfs to speak that way.

Definitely a Chaos Dwarf, nice that he is getting such a strong role already.

Loki:

Dwarfs have a tendency to speak like this now in the warhammer world they never seem to use human names only ever referring to us as manlings, maybe it goes back to the fact that they live so long compared to humans they don�?Tt bother learning names any more as we are here one day and gone the next in their eyes

apocalypstia:

… while it may be a little late for this… on the notion of the phrase “stunted bastard”, could very well have been the obscure reference to “Stunties” which some races did use to refer to dwarfs, chaos and others… almost near a racial slur as it were.

its good to see the resurgance at least in the literary sense, which occassionally bodes well for the miniature realm as well.

Hashut’s Blessing:

I thought of Eskilganamtar or whatever (can;t be bothered to scroll back up and the name briefly eludes me, currently) seemed at first like it was a Dwarf sized dreadnought type thing, then it said it levelled the fortress and it made me think of a Kollusus. However, I’d like to know if this Zumarah is the only CD mentioned in the book or if he is noted as a daemonsmith/engineer.head of an army etc. It seems strange a lone CD, that ISN’T head of an army or a daemonsmith or an engineer would have that kind of power with him, nor would he have the capacity to take so many slaves as he requires (obviously some being devoured by his machinaton).

Thommy H:

Given that there’s no current coherent information about Chaos Dwarf society, I don’t think you can read too much into anything here, HB.

Hashut’s Blessing:

Too true, Thommy. It was more my own musings than reflection upon that, it just gave me wonder as to what theme this author has for CDs.

Not sure I said that well, but if t’s not understood, I’ll rectify :wink: