[Archive] Chaos Dwarf Juggernaut

Doombeard:

sorry for the thread O mancy. I bought an ass cannon off this guy for 275gbp recently and was assured it was an original.

Sjoerdo I would be interested to hear your expert opinion on metals and types used in the 80s and more recently and how they differ from each other, and also for the original Nick Lund range (which as far as I’m aware should be the old darker lead type of metal right?)

Sjoerdo:

sorry for the thread O mancy. I bought an ass cannon off this guy for 275gbp recently and was assured it was an original.

Sjoerdo I would be interested to hear your expert opinion on metals and types used in the 80s and more recently and how they differ from each other, and also for the original Nick Lund range (which as far as I'm aware should be the old darker lead type of metal right?)

Doombeard
80's used lead based. The GW US stopped with lead in 93/94, GW UK stopped 97.

White metal is significantly harder then the old lead based metals used. Also the appearance is brighter.

I know of a friend who order the old Perry chaos dwarfs from GW as late as '96. These miniatures are pictured in the same catalogue as the juggernaught. So it might be possible that the juggernaught was still available around 96 or even in 97 and then cast in white metal...

Check for double mould lines, this a give a away for recasts, especially for a mould like the juggernaught, of which I find it unlikely they ever needed to make a new mould, since back then it was far from popular.

But still you can buy lead based metals right now, so a recast could easily be made in lead also, but still it would like much more shiny than to be expected from a 25-30 year old model.

gorgarrak:

I never understood the double mould line thing, if a master miniature is cast in a master mould, then used to create a production mould, surely it’d have a double mould line, every 20mm historical miniature I’ve bought has had a double mould line.

Sjoerdo:

I never understood the double mould line thing, if a master miniature is cast in a master mould, then used to create a production mould, surely it'd have a double mould line, every 20mm historical miniature I've bought has had a double mould line.

gorgarrak
Normally a master is cleaned up before use in a production mould.

Moulds for person size casts wear out quick because many runs are made and the casts are quite intricate, so tears appear quicker, loss of details ect. making remoulding necessary and thus double mouldlines appear quicker. Especially because master casts are not always used for the remoulding.

But in the case of the juggernaught, with its straight flat surfaces and low number of casts remoulding would seem very unlikely.

Doombeard:

I was talking about an ass-cannon though. from steve casey. yeah Ok well I’ll take a look once I strip the dodgy paint job off, thanks

Sjoerdo:

For the ass cannon I know from reliable source that several runs have been made in white metal. These were made for GW insiders and were never sold but of course have found their way to the market.