[Archive] Chaos Dwarf Players: Disgruntled or Delighted?

Hammerhand:

The only true WFB release from Forge World is their Giant and yet at every Games Day, their stall is the most packed. Do the maths and you'll unfortunately see where the money lies.

Uzkul Werit
Yeah but how much is that because it's the only chance you get to go to a stall and buy their stuff and walk away with it that same day. But I agree, 40K is where the money is. If those apocalypse box sets go into the stores (there is one that contains 10 IG Leman Russ's! one with an entire SM battle company containing 109 SMs and 9 Rhinos!! There are also BIG box sets for Tau, Eldar) these are BIG, BIG Boxes, they are going to take up a lot of real estate. What do you reckon will suffer shelf space wise? My money is on WFB.

Thommy H:

Fun GW fact: the sale of Space Marines alone pays for the production and marketing of everything else they make.

Not just 40K…Space Marines. That’s why they get a release every other month and appear on all the promotional material; because they sell about ten times* the amount that anything else does.

*Random figure plucked from the air.

Lava Lord:

A lot of what you’all have said applies to me. At first they intriuged me and I got a few. Then I started to put a small respectable force together. All this started during the 5th ed. I started to notice that lack of GW support and promotion and I wondered why? A lot of people were wary of the CD because of the UNKNOWN !! The “different” army fact added to its attraction for me. After seeing the availblity disappearing of the pieces, I figured to complete my army the best I could through e-bay. Prices are now triple their original cost on most. The Chaos Dwarf has seemed to have gotten an almost occult type following and attracts attention wherever they show up now. I see them coming back as a recognized fully authorized army with the respect due. With us originals the hard core and disiples for them. That is why I am happy about the Chaos Dwarfs!!!

Willmark:

Hell as long as they have a PDF sheet for the army list I’m happy.

I don’t need no stinking army book to validate my choice. Stomping puny armies into oblivion with my force of mask/helmet evil stunties will be more than enough to validate my choice, not that I’m looking for GW’s or anyone else’s validation mind you.

As an aside to the Army Book comment: i stopped looking for the “army book” Since to my understanding its simply a compilation of the White Dwar articles in question. Specfically #'s 161-163, which I already have.

Thommy H:

Yep, it’s just a compliation. The only thing the book has that the White Dwarfs don’t are special characters, but you can get their rules (more or less) and fluff from the wiki pages:

[[Zhatan the Black]]
[[Astragoth]]
[[Gorduz Backstabber]]

Willmark:

Cool thanks for the confirmation.

Tallhat:

Well, even though the old book was compiled of various WD articles it really did contain everything that any other armybook did at the time, so even though it isnt strictly an army book it fulfilled that purpose. And tbh I dont think we need worry about us getting a book. We will in due time. Imagine the general uproar from current and former players of Chaos Dwarfs if GW announce they wont make them. I dont think GW dare do that for fear that alot of people may boycut them. People are on edge as it is with the huge increase in prices recent years so GW have to appease crowds somehow. OK was an attempt at this that flunked somewhat.

- Tallhat

Hammerhand:

Imagine the general uproar from current and former players of Chaos Dwarfs if GW announce they wont make them. I dont think GW dare do that for fear that alot of people may boycut them. People are on edge as it is with the huge increase in prices recent years so GW have to appease crowds somehow.

Tallhat
They've done it before, got rest their tyranid consumed souls. And surely, hiking the prices, indulging in their creative whims and getting away with it shows that GW can do whatever it wants.

Willmark:

Fun GW fact: the sale of Space Marines alone pays for the production and marketing of everything else they make.

Thommy H
Not surprised by this. I believe the reasons for this are simple. They are flexible good troops, plus you can paint them anyway you want and it fits the fluff.

Plus they are a shining example of Marketing done right, on of the few in GW's typical make a new game/figure then forget it for 3-4 years policy.

Dracomancer:

Thommy H
Not surprised by this. I believe the reasons for this are simple. They are flexible good troops, plus you can paint them anyway you want and it fits the fluff.

Willmark
And because all the ten year olds love "T3H M4SS1V BLU SP4C3 DOODZ W1V T3H ZOMFG BOLT3RZ TH4T PWN 4LL T3H UVV4 NOOBZ LOLOLOL!!!!1!!OnE!!11!"... :rolleyes:

Uzkul Werit:

And then we get such noobs in WFB, who are so dull as to think walking into Blunderbussmen is a good idea. cackles

My favourite nOOb quote must be this:

“Why are there Greenskins/Dwarfs in a Greenskin/Dwarf army?”

When young 'uns see my army, I get this suprisingly often.

Dracomancer:

Well the best one I ever heard (didn’t happen to me, but I saw it mentionned on another forum) was about some kid who told a Blood Angels player he had painted his models wrong, when the guy asked him to clarify, he replied “Don’t you know Space Marines are supposed to be blue?”, seriously, some kids…

Willmark:

Well the best one I ever heard (didn't happen to me, but I saw it mentionned on another forum) was about some kid who told a Blood Angels player he had painted his models wrong, when the guy asked him to clarify, he replied "Don't you know Space Marines are supposed to be blue?", seriously, some kids...

Dracomancer
Hardly surprising... funny, but not surprising

torn:

we were all kids once though . . . . . although i cant ever remember being that dumb.

dumbest thing i seen was some teenager pronouncing mortar more-tar, as in tar on a road. do some people just live in random little bubbles?

AGPO:

In terms of dumb things, my local GW takes the biscuit. One 40k noob informed his opponent (who had played for 12 years) that if you don’t move your troops in one turn you can “save” that move and use it later. So Tau are now sorted as regards table quarters then… In another incident a noob loudly accused me of cheating because my prism cannon could shoot 60" and used a blast template whereas bolters could shoot only 12" if he moved. Apparently I was cheating because my gun could kill more than one marine a turn. I don’t mind people who are learning but I wish GW would make them learn the rules before they let them play in store clubs and participation games - it wrecks it for the rest of us as its no fun spending ages setting up flattening someone without trying in a few minuites and waiting 1hr for the next game

The only true WFB release from Forge World is their Giant and yet at every Games Day, their stall is the most packed. Do the maths and you’ll unfortunately see where the money lies.

Uzkul Werit
I think its probablly the fact that most people want to buy forgeworld stuff on the day and not pay postage and packing. Also don’t forget that getting stuff you can get in store at Gamesday is pointless - you just have to lug it round all day. The pre-release stall is just as busy as forgeworld

Tallhat:

we were all kids once though . . . .��. although i cant ever remember being that dumb.

dumbest thing i seen was some teenager pronouncing mortar more-tar, as in tar on a road. do some people just live in random little bubbles?

torn
*laughs* Oh the humanity! More-Tar... :hat

- Tallhat

Willmark:

How about trebuchet as “terb-u-CHET” :slight_smile:

cornixt:

One of my friends pronounced Chaos as char-oss for a while. The jury is still out on “minotaur”, some people say my-no-tor (like me), others say min-o-tor, the dictionary seems to say something more like mee-na-tor.

Tallhat:

I pronounce it mee-na-tor. I heard it that way in a cartoon once and it kinda stuck. On a side notice I have a mate who for the longest time pronounced fickle (as in “fortune is fickle”) fingle. The mockery wouldnt cease :D. He’s horrible at english.

- Tallhat

Uzkul Werit:

This reminds me of the time on Hand of Hashut when we had the how to pronounce Hashut thread. :shy: