[Archive] Chaos Dwarf rare choices

Titanomachy:

wallacer - it does not say in the fragment of RH with Chaos Dwarfs (which is the only RH's thing accessible now), however, in another fragment of the RH book, there is a note, that RH armies may use DoW, as per their rules.
So no worries!

Still, earthshaker/bullcentaurs are a HUGE competition to whatever unit in DoW list.

Nehan
Thanks for the advice!

Titan

Lava Lord:

I have been researching the DOW issue for the CD.��Some conclusions follow.��Yes, the WD mentions races and giants and CD isn’t one of the listed BUT DOW are.��Carrying this further, CD can hire DOW.��I’ve printed the DOW list off GW.��If a DOW unit wasn’t allowed it said so.��Giants aren’t mentioned as a “no”.��I’ve talked with many gamers and several GW boys and with the above facts, the opinions see no reason as to why CD can’t use the DOW giant.��Also, if you were to use a giant and your opponet still didn’t agree, then for the sake of a good game for everyone as well as good sportmenship and Chaos Dwarf reasoning, just take another earthshaker!!!:)��:hat off

Servius:

your logic is flawed… A Giant has its own rules… its is not a DoW Unit… Its is Just a Giant… They can be Hired by Dogs of War Armies… Your logic would allow me to take Asarnil the Dragonlord in a Chaos army Even though his rules state he cant. as I am taking Asarnil as a Dogs of War Choice in a Dark Elf List because Dogs of War Armies can take him. Basically. if it is a Unit in the Dogs of War List in Chronicles you can use it so Pikemen, Heavy Cavalry ,Etc or a Regiment of Renown if the unit states your army can field the choice… Basically the Giant is treated as a Regiment of Renown more than a Dogs of War Unit.

wallacer:

Well, rationally I can’t see any reason why a Giant couldn’t be taken by a CD army.��Giants are DoW (in other words, mercenaries) and CD have piles of money to hire potential mercenaries with.

The problem I have is that it doesn’t actually say in the RH list that CD can use DoW (not just giants, but any DoW).

I’m seriously hoping one of you guys can prove me wrong about the whole DoW thing…

I know Nehan mentioned that in “another fragment” of the RH list it mentions that CD can take DoW, unfortunately I have no idea what that fragment is or where to find it.

Servius:

Well, rationally I can't see any reason why a Giant couldn't be taken by a CD army. Giants are DoW (in other words, mercenaries) and CD have piles of money to hire potential mercenaries with.

The problem I have is that it doesn't actually say in the RH list that CD can use DoW (not just giants, but any DoW).

I'm seriously hoping one of you guys can prove me wrong about the whole DoW thing....
I know Nehan mentioned that in "another fragment" of the RH list it mentions that CD can take DoW, unfortunately I have no idea what that fragment is or where to find it.

wallacer
Ok.. First. The Giant clearly states which armies may take it. Its pretty plain.. they are free to download and read from the GW site. I personally dont have problem with someone taking a giant. but it doesnt change its legality of it in game terms.
On the Dogs of War.. it states in the Dogs of War Rules.. Chaos Dwarfs, Wood Elves, High Elves and Orcs & Goblins can field any unit from the Dogs of War Army List except Dwarf Mercenaries.

and this Supports the no giant legality even more. as the Giant again has its own rules and is NOT an addition to the Dogs of War Army List but mearly a unit which Dogs of War Armies may choose to take.

metro_gnome:

its in the front of the RH book…

but either way the giant tells us which armies he may be included in… and he may not be included in ours…
Manbiters which appeared in the same manner as Giants… did say we could be include them…

I’d say its because they intend to put a slave giant in our list…
or at least dont want to have blown the option in the “every army gets giants” hysteria…

Servius:

Really i was a bit confused… Khemri gets a Bone Giant… LOL which is better in my opinion… but can take a DoW Giant. LOL

But really i dont see the usefulness of it really… i would rather take the Taurus.

wallacer:

its in the front of the RH book...

metro_gnome
Ah, thanks.
I don't have the RH book, just the CD list itself.

Uzkul Werit:

I suppose you could just use the Giant as a missile magnet but Black Orcs do that job well too. It could always be a stand in for the Kollosus.

Tallhat:

Why would anyone want to take DoW? Ive never seen them as being very useful :confused:

Id much rather save my rare choices for a nice earthshaker and some lovely BC…

- Tallhat

grunts:

I’d have to go with Ironguts or Leadbelchers as well. Ironguts are just plain manglers, especially since they’re stubborn. As for Leadbelchers…well…you can never go wrong with more firepower. Maneaters are not worth the two rare choices, gotta have the earthshaker!

I love bull centaurs, but unless they are supporting a lord on a taurus or are supported by wolfriders themselves, they’re a bit out of place.

Gilzam:

I like to use Duellists as my DOW as their manoverability is priceless and thier effectivness at protecting my slow moving dwarfs (not being relentless and all that :mad

Other than that I would say Ogres such as Ironguts or Leadbelchers or anything from the east that might cause confusion on the westerners such as DoW heavy cavalry representing Nipponese Samurai lead by a Samurai CD on the grudge pony (use for that useless mini). My Duellists are Nippon Ninjas with a CD ninja leading them. :mask

Im one for using DoW that fit in with the feeling of an army, I dont like RoR as most are over priced and flipping useless, Giants of Albion in DoW list is one that springs to mind. The only good RoR are Long Drong (CD no no though) and the moving cannons! A good way to get us deprived daaemonic engineers an excuse for daemonic walky cannons, a true CD cannon :hat off

DoW are good for adding flavour to an army and I would wholly suggect giving a go at something, if only to break up painting the same colour scheme.

Uzkul Werit:

It’s not far off number 300, if we’re going by the UK editions.

As for Dogs of War to hire for our army, I’d only use Ogres in big units. I have use two Leadbelchers or three Ironguts in the past and they just don’t do much. However Lumpin Croop’s Fighting Cocks are cheap and pretty handy at guarding war machines.

Border Reiver:

Those of you wanting to use your sneaky git minis could always say that they “count as” duelists with two hand weapons. They could then skirmish and would have better Ld.

Zarek:

Im just curious… what do people think of including units of crossbowmen as “slaves”. It allow some interesting conversions and would add quite a bit of flavor to the army. its been awhile since ive looked into dow so would a unit of crossbowmen be a rare choice or… if not then the use of dow would allow you to include cheap missle weapons other than the blunderbuss… which i personally detest.

Zarek:

other than, of course greenskins some of which can weild bows… but that hardly warrants mentioning.

Willmark:

Why would anyone want to take DoW? Ive never seen them as being very useful :/
Id much rather save my rare choices for a nice earthshaker and some lovely BC..

- Tallhat

Tallhat
Because having fear causing Ogres is a nice option to have.

gIL^:

i rotate ironguts, leadbelchers and bell centaurs alot, and the most useful in my opinion are leadbelchers, always having 1 more gun unit that assists the blunderbusses before the plunge is great, and they still do very well when the flank charge.

Willmark:

I just like ogres, always have. Not happy about the T4 copared to T5 of previous editions. Still having at least one unit that causes fear can’t be all that bad.

Rakmial:

It also says in the articles of the DoW that Chaos Dwarves can take Dogs of War. Certain regiments they can’t take, though.