[Archive] Chaos Dwarf Regiment of Renown Contest

Willmark:

Regiment of Renown Contest

As discussed here its time to start voting! http://chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=6911

Whats that? You missed that section of the website?

Anyways it will be a timed 7 day poll to vote for the best regiment of Renown and perhaps it might just appear in a certain ezine here on Chaos Dwarfs Online. So that means that voting will close on Sunday the 14th at 9:09 AM.

To vote download the PDF and then read through the choices. You may vote one time.

Thanks to all who entered and slaves will be coming your way once the contest is over.

Willmark

Kera foehunter:

Great contest there dark lord willmark !! and what a great turn out

Let me say to you guys there all great !!

Borador:

download gives me a 404?

can the problem be fixed? (aa)

Snotling:

This is a cool contest. I am allways so lazy in reading rules and backgrounds in english, but this was really interessting. Nevertheless, they are allmost all totally overpowered :hat off. I especially like the idea of 3 DRs, 2 ESs and numberous crew members for just a special an a rare choice. Why do you need an army, when you haven them? :slight_smile: I really want to test them in battle.

Borador:

hurray no 404. i’ll start reading!

BilboBaggins:

92 views and 9 votes? What is this an off year election in Philly?

Thorne:

noted and voted god speed to whomever wins. Great work all who entered.

Grimstonefire:

92 views and 9 votes? What is this an off year election in Philly?

BilboBaggins
I'm guessing most of those are from those who entered. ;)

Pyro Stick:

There are some really cool ideas in there and i would love to try some of them out. I narrowed my favourites down to 2 and chose the one i felt was the most balanced/least over powered.

Gar Shadowfame:

Snotling i have to agree on disappointement, only one of the units is game balanced.:S

cornixt:

Points are a very difficult thing to balance, especially for a DoW unit. It’s best to concentrate on the rules themselves IMO.

BilboBaggins:

There are some really cool ideas in there and i would love to try some of them out. I narrowed my favourites down to 2 and chose the one i felt was the most balanced/least over powered.

Pyro Stick
Snotling i have to agree on disappointement, only one of the units is game balanced.:S

Gar Shadowfame
I would love to know which ones you considered balanced. I know balancing can be extremely tough. That's why The Doom Seeker has articles about creating Characters (Issue 2) and Units (Infantry is in Issue 3 and Cavalry will be in Issue 4 in May) for playing in Warhammer.

M4c from Dogs of War Online and myself did the charts going through all the army books to make it easier to get a starting point level for created units and characters. Yes, after playing you may have to tweek the points but it should be close.

dncswlf:

I don’t see how you can say they are not balanced… everything has a set cost for stats, weapons, abilities, you get to choose your forces from what is available/what you can make up, and then it is up to your opponent to figure out a strategy to overcome it… If it is imbalanced horribly… you tweak it the next time… I liked them all, very creative ideas… war is never fair… games maybe… but with the right plan you can overcome anything! ha!

Baggronor:

Do you ever say anything constructive, or, god forbid, pleasant? Its a fun contest not an army book written by a dev team.

I thought there were some very interesting ideas in the entries, things I may have to bear in mind for future projects :)

dncswlf:

As for balance… just look at Warhammer itself, gamesworkshop has gone through what 7 iterations of the same game, changing it to try to make it balanced…

@Snotling: taking the artillery group with out much else opens you up to an attack by a flying character, so it has it’s weak points too… you’d still have to pay for all the warmachines, so It may use only 3 choices, but it would cost a boat load of points to field…

Snotling:

It i not about the point costs, it is more than the units can do so much. They definately are pretty hard. Ah come on, dudes, don’t take it so serious, it was not that I wanted to complain or mock or something, it was just my opinion, no need to start an argument :cheers

Hashut’s Blessing:

Gar Shadowfame: I’m confused as to where you got the “disappointment” from. You say you agree with Snotling about being disappointed, but Snotling never said he was, just that he didn’t think any were balanced. Having said that, he still wishes to test them out in battle.

Lastly, I am politely asking you to stop browsing the creation of units and army lists (as a member, not as a moderator) because you never have anything constructive to say. Also, as a note as a moderator, if you did continue in such a manner, it wouldn’t be long before you started to get warnings. With that in mind, try to make your comments constructive, saying HOW to improve things and saying what you liked about certain pieces.

I won’t bother to ask anyone which they think is the most balanced, as it is likely the one that is in the lead :wink:

With my entry, I didn’t spend very long thinking about what armies should be able to use it. I won’t say how or why as it will nudge people towards knowing which is mine, which is bad in an anonymous contest, lol :stuck_out_tongue: Suffice to say, I wish I’d thought that part through more.

Ultimately, I hope my entry (and the entries of the others) will inspire people and will maybe be discussed as to how it can be made more balanced, whilst retaining its fun-factor (hopefully people think it has one, lol :P).

As a last note, talking about balance: Dogs of War/Regiments of Renown units aren’t balanced within each army, but they are usually fairly balanced (quite strong and simply overpowered in some and most cases). E.G. Chaos taking battle cannon (I know they can now use a Hellcannon, but still).

EDIT: I just re-read my entry and saw how O.o it is. I hadn’t thought a lot of it through and forgot to take some of the rules into account with the cost/slots.

dncswlf:

Hashut’s blessing: Yeah well, as you said it was all about creativity and getting an idea out, not playtesting and balancing… I really like the concepts in all of them, each entry came out completely unique, yet completely Chaos Dwarf… well, plus a Tilean… but with some experimenting they could be tweaked for “fair” use… I’d say contests like these and the golden hat are excellent to keep people fresh, in the game, and thinking more than about just the next win!

Bolg:

I’m torn between Entry 3- Bharka�?Ts Berserkers and Entry 6- Khazrak�?Ts Bull Brothers. both are very cool and i would love to field them in battle.

Skink:

I liked  lot the rules of Khazarn and Gozzadini. Yuk, the fact that Khazarn can distract Gozzadini’s opponents with an “arrogant speech” is brilliant!!! I just can see it happen :slight_smile:

Well done everybody!!! I wanted to enter as well but somethin tells me that is way too late:~… Well, better luck next time!