[Archive] Chaos Dwarf Symbols

torn:

i have all sorts of symbols on the shields of my warriors. some have runes of hashut - others have chaos stars, and other have skulls or spikes or any other random patterns i found based on googling greek shield designs, of course not using them exactly.

As far as a writing system goes i can remember this being a very lengthy discussion on HoH with no real outcome.

Pyro Stick:

I dont see why it would be different from Dwarfs. Since they used to be dwarfs i would of thought they would of kept the same writing system instead of making up a new one. There wouldnt of been much sense in making up a whole new alphabet and writing system.

Kera foehunter:

Well look at the history of man we are human do we all talk the same language and have the same writing

Malificant:

but our race as a whole does not remember the time we were one people. it would be like the americans and british after the revolution. same language, different cultures/values/countries, and a bitter emnity.

Willmark:

I dont see why it would be different from Dwarfs. Since they used to be dwarfs i would of thought they would of kept the same writing system instead of making up a new one. There wouldnt of been much sense in making up a whole new alphabet and writing system.

Pyro Stick
Agreed Pyro. There is no practical reason as to why CDs should have a different alphabet.

X-Porter:

I still think a difference in language between Chaos Dwarfs and their Western cousins would be a matter of degree rather than of kind. Their language would be some kind of “Black Khazalid” and their writing a corrupt Klinkarhun.

True, Dwarfs are very tradition-oriented, the fact that they live so long plays a large part in this, but the Dwarfs of the west lost contact with their eastern holds 6500 years ago. That’s a long time, many generations even by Dwarf reckoning.

Additionally, the Chaos Dwarfs have taken a rather large departure from the ways of their ancestors (Gee, X-Porter, really?). Their new circumstances alone would result in new words/runes/whatever coming into usage.

To borrow a phrase, they probably have a hundred words for “ash”.

Pyro Stick:

But there would be no point in making a new language. Thats like my family moving to an island where no one lives and making up a completely new language and forgetting about english. It would be inconvenient therefore it is unlikely that it happened.

Bill-117:

Dwarfs don’t DO things for their convencience, Pyro…

X-Porter:

Pyro, If your family lived on that island for 20 generations I’d be willing to bet there would be some linguistic differences if and when they came into contact with people from your homeland again.

If nothing else, they’d have to make up names for animals and plants they weren’t familiar with. The people back home would likewise have new terms for things as they came across them.

Additionally, your culture would be based on the items you brought with you. If you had The Bible, The Complete Works of William Shakespeare, and some Stephen King novels, thats your literary heritage. You teach your children and grandchildren to read and write using them, but they fade, or crumble or are lost in some catastrophe. Then what? Transcribe them from memory? Commit them to oral tradition? Changes get made either way.

I’ve lived in both the US and Canada. We can’t even agree if the last letter of the alphabet is pronounced ‘Zee’ or ‘Zed’. If it’s ‘Grey’ or ‘Gray’

‘Center’ or ‘Centre’. Forget about talking to an Aussie :slight_smile:

If the Chaos Dwarfs were cut off completely from their kinsmen 6500 years ago, there would be differences in their language and writing. They could probably muddle thru if they had to communicate, but there would probably be a fair deal of hand-waving and drawing things on the ground, pointing at it and shouting,“Ghrakk!”

Warlord:

The old tallhats usually had a bearded skull motif on their shields, not arrows.
Actually, on the big hats there are both arrows and bearded skulls. Whats more, some of the skulls have arrows coming out of them, as well as lightning...
Most of the big hats (at least the ones I have anyway) have at least a couple of arrows on them.
I've lived in both the US and Canada. We can't even agree if the last letter of the alphabet is pronounced 'Zee' or 'Zed'. If it's 'Grey' or 'Gray'
'Center' or 'Centre'. Forget about talking to an Aussie :)

X-Porter
Good point. :)

Imagine you knew nothing of Australia. Then imagine me telling you a sentence, if you were a proper Englishman, using Australian colloquialisms and jargon.

"I'm heading to Uni past the gumtree with the Koala's next to the billabong."
(Now no one in Australia would actually talk like that unless you live in the bush, but still, as an Aussie I can understand it)

Translated:

I'm going to go to University travelling past the Tree with gumnuts where the 'tree-bear' lives next to the pond.

Simple example, but I believe can show how the introduction of a colloqualism, an abbreviation and some local jargon can affect ones understanding of what someone says.

There would be some elements which are common, and some which would be drastically different. That is simply just how languages evolve.

baba yaga:

the dwarfs of the hellcanon have 8pointed stars all over them even a huge one on the cannon itself

Ishkur Cinderhat:

Well actually they are more like 4-pointed stars, really.