[Archive] Chaos Dwarfs vs Empire

The Flying Beaver:

Post your tips for fighting Empire armies here.

The Flying Beaver:

Against the Empire, an earthshaker is a very obvious choice, for obvious reasons. You’ll want a decent amount of hobgoblin meat, and wolfriders come in handy too. Blunderbusses will mow down all the infantry if you can protect them (with the aforementioned hobgoblin meant), and magic certainly comes in handy.

Dracomancer:

Its definetly a good idea to have cannons, especially with the popemoblie (Arch Lector on War Altar, more often that not with Van Horstmanns speculum and armour of meteoric iron, nasty combo) being such a popular choice for Empire generals in 7th. Ed.

Black orcs work very well against Empire as well, due to the relatively poor stats of the standard Empire troop, the blorcs should have no trouble cutting through them, especially with the new choppa and armed to da teef rules, meaning they are are a lot more versatile than before.

wallacer:

Use hobgoblins against the Arch Lector on the war altar.

He will have Van Horstmann’s Speculum, so will be counting on attacking a character. Hobgoblin unit = Van Horstmann’s Speculum wasted.

Buy as many hobgoblins as you can and use them as cannon fodder.

Buy wolf riders and use them to take out detachments or do flank charges. If possible charge some warmachines with them.

Use terrain so his cannons can’t shoot your Taurus.

Try shield your CD warriors as much as possible with hobgoblins.

Use the Eartshaker to slow down his knights, especially if they have Warrior Priests.

Use your power dice to dispel remains in play spells, especially the warrior priest spells that bolster units (oh god, the horror)

Pound for pound your CD warriors will beat most human units.

The main goal for the CD general is to get as many CD warriors as possible into combat unscathed as you can.

Against Empire, you need Hobgoblins and lots of them. You also need to (if possible) deploy on the table edge with the most hills (if your Empire opponent gets hills, he will deploy his cannons on the hills and shoot over your Hobgobs at your stunties). Deployment can win or lose the game versus Empire.

Nehan:

The key to win against empire are bolt throwers. The best empire’s weapons are utterly useless then - steam tanks, war altar and blocks of KOICs. Try to place the earthshaker(s) carefully so that cannons can’t see them. Hide taurus from them also. Use wolfriders to sweap handgunner/crossbow flanks. Don’t try to dispel warrior priests’ prayers - they’re in most cases useless.

ross_lionheart:

Use hobgoblins against the Arch Lector on the war altar.
He will have Van Horstmann's Speculum, so will be counting on attacking a character.��Hobgoblin unit = Van Horstmann's Speculum wasted.

Buy as many hobgoblins as you can and use them as cannon fodder.
Buy wolf riders and use them to take out detachments or do flank charges.��If possible charge some warmachines with them.

Use terrain so his cannons can't shoot your Taurus.��

Try shield your CD warriors as much as possible with hobgoblins.
Use the Eartshaker to slow down his knights, especially if they have Warrior Priests.
Use your power dice to dispel remains in play spells, especially the warrior priest spells that bolster units (oh god, the horror)

Pound for pound your CD warriors will beat most human units.
The main goal for the CD general is to get as many CD warriors as possible into combat unscathed as you can.

Against Empire, you need Hobgoblins and lots of them.��You also need to (if possible) deploy on the table edge with the��most hills (if your Empire opponent gets hills, he will deploy his cannons on the hills and shoot over your Hobgobs at your stunties).��Deployment can win or lose the game versus Empire.

wallacer
How many hobgoblins would you suggest using in a 2300 game against empire? My current 2300 army list includes three units of 25 hobgoblins, 4 hobgoblin bolt throwers and a unit of 10 hob wolf riders lead by a hobgoblin hero.

Tallhat:

Be very warry of Imperial Pistoliers and Outriders. These guys can make a mess of your march moves since you dont have “relentles”. Plus a unit of outriders can spew out a whopping 15 shots at S4 -2 save making it tough on your warmachines to survive. Counter these units with, preferably, Hobgob wolfriders(of course BC can be used as well though they are mighty expensive for that task) to catch them and hopefully rout them. If youre unable to catch them, then at least buy some speedbumps to put in their way. Believe you me, you are going to hate these guys if no action is taken.

- Tallhat

hal:

Wolfriders are very good at getting at those pesky warmachines.

wallacer:

My current 2300 army list includes three units of 25 hobgoblins, 4 hobgoblin bolt throwers and a unit of 10 hob wolf riders lead by a hobgoblin hero.

ross_lionheart
I would use 3 units of 25, as that is what I own.
If I had more I would probably field them.

Empire have loads of shooting and it's hard to go wrong with cheap Hobgoblin cannon fodder. Plus they'll also be useful for redirecting the Knight units for flank charges.

Uzkul Werit:

A Bull Centaur Hero with Sword of Might, Enchanted Shield and Heavy Armour is a Chaos Dwarf general’s dream come true for taking out detachments. Hide him in a ranked up unit, turn two - boom! Charge him out of the unit, watch him lay down a few wounds and the Free Company will not even scracth him due to the lovely T5.

Ancient History:

[[Chaos Dwarfs vs The Empire]] up on the Wiki, and just for good measure: [[Chaos Dwarfs vs Kislev Allied Contingents]].

evilskull52:

One way to kill empire it to get a main unit (prefer immortals with hand weapon and shield) of at least 30 men and get 2 gunner unit of at least 12 to protect flanks. and get some magma cannons or deathshreikers and gun the army down as it gets closer. but if the have great cannons get hobgobilns wolf riders or bullcentaurs to get up to them and take them out fast or use the deathsheiker to take them out. also get an army standard bearer to put behind the units so if your units flee they will auto rally (just in case they have a unit of 40 greatsworders like my brother) and have a wizard to also gun them down. but first target their detachments so you can flank them.