The Flying Beaver:
Post your tips for fighting Vampire Counts armies here.
1. units with additional HWs mow down skellies like nobodys business… even hobbies out class them in combat…
2. best to go offensive… otherwise they just sit at the other edge of the table getting bigger…
3. i like the S. lord… 8 dice will see a spell off… and 6 dispel dice will tone him down a little…
still a quick BC lord can get to those casters and turn it into a non issue…
4. watch out for being outnumbered… bring lotsa troops…
the "normal way to winn against VC is to take out his “fast stuff” like bats, dire wolves, and ghouls - and if u can stop most of his magic thats a big help
the black gem can be usefull against the vamp - so u can get his unit so small, u can take him on combat resault. 3x bull heroes so u can take his fast stuff (one can take gaundlet + sword of striking)
Take a lot of small units of BBs (get as many shots as possible. S3 minimum will kill LOTS of them). The obligatory Earthshaker. They’re pretty slow anyway though. Definitely a few bolt throwers. Maybe a few HGs with shields and bows (a little extra shooting and they get a 5+ save in combat. Bye bye skellies). Flying Lord is best (preferably Lord not S-Lord. Take 3 sorcerers though!) to breathe fire and maybe charge his general. REMOVE THE GENERAL! And DEFINITELY go offensive! Take BCs because they have 2 attacks (if you play that they can use AHWs, use those too! Invaluable against skeletons. Get as many rear and flank charges as possible!).
Not rocket science but I now win far more than I lose against the Undead. I now think of the Undead as being a twofold army.
Here YOU MUST kill their lesser necromancers.
Here are my general tips vs Undead:
1. Assassinate all non-general characters first (unless he has a
weak general) these are easier to kill and give the Undead their
extra punch. Be it casting dice or extra combat punch. Use
character assassins and/or hit unit with multiple units to dissolve
2. Know what to dispel and what toleave. Generally let him raise
units but NEVER let him use movement spells.
3. Try to take 1 or 2 fear causing units (or fear resistant banners)
and use them to minimise the effects of psychology tests by
using them where the critical combats will take place
4. If you are going to charge a unit, try to double charge it with units
that can win the combat during the first round both for unit strength and in case 1 fails
5. Always have 1 character with a cheap magic weapon (for
6. If he/she has a lot of magic try to approach with two parallel
combat lines so that if he does raise behind or in the flank you
can counter charge.
7. Kill the general if you can!