[Archive] Cheep alt to GW Chaos Black Spray Can

nitroglysarine:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130472648564#ht_2880wt_905

This stuff is great, it is simply Chaos Black in a cheaper can!

Also I bought two of these, they arrived today and they are bigger than listed. I don’t buy the GW one as it far to pricey.

I ran the risk with this one, but its good stuff. And cough! its just a tad cheaper!

Grimstonefire:

Does it stick well to metal? Presumably so, because it’s for cars… But worth asking anyway.

I’m imminently going to be needing more undercoat so if this stuff is good I’ll buy some.

I always heard car body primer was just as good.

nitroglysarine:

It sticks to everything fine, resin proved a minor problem until I realised I hadn’t washed the release agent off it. :-p

Kered:

I’v never tried a prime other than GW chaos black, I feared most others would obscure details.

Although I have practically run out, so I may get a can .

Grimstonefire:

Yes, that is another thing worth asking, is this a fine spray?

nitroglysarine:

yup, doesn’t spackle at all, if I couldn’t see the label i’d swear it was GW spray.

Alfract:

I use car primer on all my models

Thorne:

I rarely ever use GW chaos black nor skull white spray any more after it ruined a whole regiment of oop wood elf archers I had had for many years. Monstercolours that are usualy used for grafiti artists are usualy pretty good. Hycoat prays are normaly pretty good and they have quite a good selection or colours too.

Blue in VT:

I use car primer on all my models

Alfract
Me too...Matte Dark Gray or black....works great and $3 a can.

:hat off

Blue

Da Crusha:

honestly I always use the cheapest can of black spray paint to primer my minis and it only costs a dollar. works fine for me, never had any problems.

Nicodemus:

Yeah… Chaos Black is really a black spray paint… not really a primer at all anyway. Most autobody spray paints will work on your minis, you just want to get one that’s not going to go on really thick and give you a loss of detail. Although I find the GW “primers” like Chaos Black do give you some loss of very fine detail anyway, so there’s room for improvement.

Just my 2-cents.

~N

snowblizz:

I tried to use an cheaper alternative once. When I went to paint the giant I realised the black spray was providing absolutely no texture at all and the paint nearly refused to stick.

After that I’m scared to try something else… of course ironically GW’s spray is easier to get hold of than anything else anyway. Relatively speaking.

Grimstonefire:

I bought two of these for £7.25 including postage, compared to £8.20 for the GW one.  I was surprised to find when I opened it that it’s 25% extra free.  Which means 1000ml compared to 400ml from GW.

nitroglysarine:

Yup, i had the same awesome surprise!

Just used mine on come CD warriors and it’s the same good stuff.

Awesome alternative, I’m glad I found it :smiley: !

starscream:

i’ll be trying this.

I usually use Halfords matt black. Its far better than GW and a bit cheaper too.

I think most people just use GW chaos Black cos they dont know any better.

Bassman:

Is car spray matte? I always feared it was not. This could be a nice alternative as GW cans are way too expensive.

Do think also white could do the job?

nitroglysarine:

Is car spray matte? I always feared it was not. This could be a nice alternative as GW cans are way too expensive.

Bassman
This one is, not sure about a white one, just a sec i'll report back

Nope can't find one on eBay

AGPO:

A mate of mine swears by this stuff. Seriously a better cheaper option. Thanks for the link :cheers

Naagruz:

Bassman

Car primer is typically ultra-matte.

For priming minis you actually want a "primer" versus just a spray paint because the primer is designed to adhere to the original surface.
I use auto primer as well.