[Archive] Chestnut ink

Thorne:

Im having a little bit of a crisis, My hobgoblins are comming up nicely and I have reached a lil bit of a hurdle. Sadly it seams that I have ran out of chestnut ink. Thinking I would be able to pop to my local gamesworkshop stockist and pick up a few more pots and this is where the problem starts. The problem is that none of my stockists none of the stores in the area and none of my freinds have any … No chestnut ink means no hobgoblins finnished. Having tried the foundation inks washes or anythng they are called provides me wiht a flatter less shaded version of what I want leaving my models look drab in comparison. Hell I might even have to resort to wood varnish or army painter to get what I want and that was the last thing I want as it adds too thick a coating on the edges of my models leaving for poorer repaint if needed at a later point. Does any other manufacter make a suitable aternative to GW chestnut ink of old ? please let me know

GRNDL:

I would try to find a professional art supply store and check out their drawing inks, which is pretty much what GW inks were. The only issue is matching the colour - try for a raw/burnt sienna as a starting point.

Pyro Stick:

A quick ebay search found this:

http://tinyurl.com/ydb765v

I dont know how similar it is to the GW ink but when i run out of the few pots of chestnut ink i have left i will probably try it out. I use chestnut ink on all the gold i paint so i use quite a lot of it. I cant believe gw discontinued it…

Guardian_A:

GW disscontinued all of their inks when the washes came out. They also disscontinued a few of their colors (Tenticle Pink, and one of the Oranges that I can think of. But I’m sure there were others.)

Thorne:

http://tinyurl.com/ydb765v

Pyro Stick
Ooooooooooooooooooh Old school games workshop inks .... The stuff we had in the older bottles .... The stuff that didnt have the stupid twisty lids that usualy falls on your new jumper first time you wear it .... The stuff that if your not carefull and as a youngster ruined many a white tee shirt thats it ! Pyro Coat'de arms is the origanal stuff Whoooooooooooooooo !

Hashut’s Blessing:

They also discontinued Sunburst Yellow, the closest to that being Golden Yellow. I’ve not bought paints in a while and didn’t realise that Chestnut Ink and Sunburst Yellow were discontinued (I knew several had been as it was in a WD), but it’s annoying that they did. they probably decided that instead of making less of them, people would be fine without, but I don’t find brown ink works as well as chestnut.

Pyro Stick:

They also discontinued Sunburst Yellow, the closest to that being Golden Yellow.

Hashut's Blessing
....Wtf!!! I use sunburst yellow all the time!! Just as well i have about 4 or 5 pots of it. I had no idea it had been discontinued.

Thorne:

thankfullly to the inspiration provided to me from the kind person that searched ebay for the paints that we are now lacking I have found a reliable supplier of some of the old school paints from games workshop that are sadly now discontinued like our beloved cd’s they exist Coat d arms paints

Hashut’s Blessing:

Neither did I until I ran out and tried to buy some more… Golden is slightly orange tinted and thusly a bit darker, but was the closest match there, IMO.

EDIT: I can;t find out how to actually order any of the paints…

Thorne:

gladiator@clara.co.uk. will usualy respond to most of your coat d arms questions but then I dis use ask.com to find an alternative address for the company and found these telephone details

Main: +44 (0)1925 860 053

Voip: vexillia via skype

Fax: +44 (0)7092 089 784

Registered Address

Vexillia Limited

4 Oak Wharf Mews

Birchdale Road

Appleton

Warrington

WA4 5AS

United Kingdom

cornixt:

I still have a sunburst yellow from more than 15 years ago.

Doesn’t drucchi.net have a thread on how to reproduce old GW colours?

Hashut’s Blessing:

Warrington’s very close to where I am at uni :smiley: W00t!

cornixt: I’m pretty sur ethat that will have dried up now :wink:

cornixt:

It still works fine, it is one of the old pots with the round white lid, perfect seal. The screw-tops were notorious for drying out.

Hashut’s Blessing:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen them: unless you mean the sort that came with the paint sets (5 or 7 paints plus 5 or so models)?

But, either way, I’m glad you have it and it works :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

slev:

They occasionally discontinue paint colours where there are two very similar colours.

As to the Chestnut ink, I find a mix or red and brown washes works well enough (though not the same), but you need several coats to have the same effect.

If you do find a good replacement, I need to know as it’s integral to my Skaven.

Hashut’s Blessing:

slev, they sell it at the coat d amrs place aforementioned. In fact, I feel it;s deserving of slaves gives. I believe it’s under another name, but they have a page so that you can find out the equivalent names. I believe it said 95p for an 18ml pot of paint.

slev:

OK then , I’ll try & pay more attention :wink: