[Archive] Chinese Arrow Fireworks - Hwach'a

nitroglysarine:

I’m in the middle of designing some death rockets based on the old chinese firework weapon of war. Although I can’t remember the name of it though. I know it was on myth busters about a year of so.

The basic principle was an arrow (or a bolt in my case) with a fat firework strapped to it acting as the projectile, it flew an arrows parabola trajectory and exploded on impact with the target.

I love the idea, and with the hint of oriental inspiration in the CD army list, i’m making a pair of them to count as death rockets.

Does anyone know what the heck they are called?

I’d love to give them their correct name.

Thanks in advance!

nitroglysarine:

looks kinda like this:-

Although with arrows.

nitroglysarine:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/haksaeng/3299333278/

Tracked it down, it was Korean and called a Hwach’a

(ignore me now)

Da Crusha:

your post reminded me of this weapon at 1:10 on the deadliest warrior

nitroglysarine:

your post reminded me of this weapon at 1:10 on the deadliest warrior

Da Crusha
awwww, can't watch it in the uk...

Da Crusha:

try this one 1:04
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPpzvB1nSoQ

they don’t explode but worth a look anyway.

nitroglysarine:

Cool, that’s kinda the thing, but think on a war machine base and with bolts. :smiley:
I like the idea of the medieval fire work rocket launcher. awesome.
That video is weird its flipped left<->right, had to keep pausing it to read the warriors information.
Cool looking show, never seen it before.

Looking at the partially converted models, I think this really could work as a death rocket proxy.

Minos:

From Perry miniatures (Choson Korean range) :

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

nitroglysarine:

Cool, that’s kinda what i’ve made, but with a more fan shaped, so in theory you don’t have to re-angle the warmachine.

I’ll pop some pictures up later, hopefully i’ll have some of the new Khaos mantic models finished to. :smiley:

nitroglysarine:

And some wip shots:-

The idea is to have the white bit below as the firework with the bolt as the bit that impales before, well you know, BOOOM!

Any feedback would be awesome, I think they are a good use of the spare cannon bitz I had left over from the Mantic Dwarf box set.

Ishkur Cinderhat:

Looks quite cool. What kind of base is this, it seems not to be the GW base?

Based on the fanned-out arrangement of the rockets I take it you don’t want to hit a single unit but spread the rockets over the whole battlefield? :smiley:

nitroglysarine:

Looks quite cool. What kind of base is this, it seems not to be the GW base?

Ishkur Cinderhat
Its of the avatar of war range, they where spare from a while back.
Based on the fanned-out arrangement of the rockets I take it you don't want to hit a single unit but spread the rockets over the whole battlefield? :D

Ishkur Cinderhat
It's more fire the one that lines up with the enemy unit :-D

that guy:

They’re lookin really cool.

The one they tested on Mythbusters would have a terrifying effect on a unit it hit and it was using more of a standard sized arrow,the size of your bolts look like they would cause more than terror.Can you imagine standing next to the guy that gets ripped in half by one of those monsters moving at the speed of sound? I think I’d just turn my but around and start walking.In the words of the great Eric Cartmen “Screw you guyz.I’m goin’ home.”

nitroglysarine:

lol, and that would have the desired effect for the army!

Ishkur Cinderhat:

They're lookin really cool.
The one they tested on Mythbusters would have a terrifying effect on a unit it hit and it was using more of a standard sized arrow,the size of your bolts look like they would cause more than terror.

that guy
A documentary I once saw described rocket-propelled swords that were used by the Indian Mogul armies against the British. That must have been a similarly dreadful sight!

that guy:

rocket propelled swords? Other than being the best name ever for a speed metal band where the lead singer plays keytar ,I am going to have to find images of this because it sounds like an aerodynamic nightmare.

I can see a giant blunderbuss style launching base just chocked full of broad swords and katanas that have had dime store bottle rockets duck taped to the hilts.They just pick the craziest guy in the army to light the fuse and then laugh at him as he sprints away giggling like a schoolgirl.Then theres a deafening “SWISH-BOOOM!”, and three days later when the smoke clears youve got swords scattered in 360 degrees up to 10 feet away and one enemy half a mile away who got impaled by the only sword to go flinging through the air like a rabid frisbee on crystal meth.

Ishkur Cinderhat:

Well they were not supposed to be aerodynamic, they were a tumbling, spinning nightmare to those on the receiving end.

I found a (albeit short) description here.