[Archive] Clam (5) vs. Sjoerdo (4) MM90 Paintaton!

Carcearion:

Wow amazing stuff guys! The differences in your styles really show off the model in different ways.

I’m always a bigger fan of darker colors and deeper shadows myself - but man the classic colors and highlights are more then holding their own!

Sjoerdo:

For me it’s quite a departure from my normal painting style. Normally I’m more a edge highlighter while in the 80’s the 'Eavymetal team mostly did surface highlighting, basically blending highlights into raised areas, very time consuming :mask

I hope to have my entry done by Thursday, so Clam and I will have the coming weekend for the next subject…

Will Liam:

love the paint job on your Chaos Dwarfs - Do you use a medium colour base coat then a lighter colour for the highlights and finish off with a ink wash just in the recesses and low spots? or would i need to do it a different way to get a cool result like your paint job cheers

Sjoerdo:

love the paint job on your Chaos Dwarfs - Do you use a medium colour base coat then a lighter colour for the highlights and finish off with a ink wash just in the recesses and low spots? or would i need to do it a different way to get a cool result like your paint job cheers

Will Liam
I basecoat with a watered down standard white (to not clog any of the small details). Then I choose a base colour and paint it straight on. I then prepare 2 washes with same colour (just add water), one darker (add brown or black depending on need) and one lighter (add yellow or white depending on need).

Then I was it with the darker colour and while still wet blend in the base colour and the lighter highlight ( I use tow brushes for this). In this process I always add water to my paints (not too much), to keep the blending fluid.

Will Liam:

Thanks for the info- I think your painting method works extremely well and I�?Tm going to have to give it a try at some stage the blending is very easy to look at compared to other stiles of painting - awesome

Willmark:

This is like cheering for ones favorite football team (not American football).

clam:

More here: Clamshells and Sea Horses: MM90 Painting Countdown: 23, 22 ...... - and counting

So Sjoerdo…, what are we painting next?

Oh, that’s right… you haven’t finished - hi, hi, hi :slight_smile:

Sjoerdo:

More here: http://clamshellsandseadogs.blogspot.dk/2018/04/mm90-painting-countdown-23-22-and.html

So Sjoerdo..., what are we painting next?

Oh, that's right... you haven't finished - hi, hi,  hi :)

clam
Yes yes, you have earned bragging rights this time around ;)

Well I have added the fourth layer of yellow (damn that colour), hope to have it finished by Friday (business dinners on Tuesday and Wednesday)...

Admiral:

This race is as lovely as it gets. Great and characterful miniatures shown off in two distinctly different painting styles as veteran hobbyists compete with each other to get finished first? Splendid idea!

Nice blending and colour display, Sjoerdo. Exquisite colours and play of light and darkness in the paintjob, Clam. :hat off

These classic Chaos Dwarfs have stood the test of time very well indeed, and they are still most inspiring in their various wacky designs.

Sjoerdo:

Im done (i hate yellow :sick), ,Clam, bail and chain guy next!

Sjoerdo:

Im done Clam, lets get started on ball and chain guy!

clam:

I see no pictures… how can you be done, when I don’t see pictures… ?

Pics or it didn’t happen, is the phrase I think :slight_smile:

clam:

… and I couldn’t leave you hanging out to dry like that, so I’ve begun some yellow as well … :slight_smile:

Sjoerdo:

I cant work blogger nor imgur on an ipad or a phone, but ill email you a pic. Great work on underbite. Pffff i did at least seven different shades and highlights and it still just looks like plain yellow…

clam:

Am I the only one that can hear a violin playing …?

Nah, just kidding I’ve seen enough - but get it uploaded and shared, Sjoerdo.

And Chain ball is now based (you know, the round little disc under hes feet, so he stands up…?) and primed.

Needs some drying time - and hopefully I can start working on him tonight.

Sjoerdo:

Evidence:

EvilLittleBuggers: MM90 painting countdown: 19

and the results so far:

Sjoerdo:

And bad news for Clam:

EvilLittleBuggers: MM90 painting countdown 18

your call, mate, who’s next?

Sjoerdo:

And Clam just missed the deadline, was a close finish! luckily there is a 2 hour time difference between the UAE and Denmark which worked in my advantage this time :slight_smile:

Lovely blue mate, great job!

clam:

I’m so close, I’m almost finished but I had to call it in at 11 pm before finishing the base - but if i can get another good hour tonight, I’m done as well.

And then I’ll call the next one … guess what it will be :slight_smile:

Willmark:

You know I now have all of these chaos dwarfs now and they are primed… I may have to get in on this too!

Of course I can’t paint anywhere near the level of these two masters.