[Archive] complete armies at showcase section

Zanko:

What about a extra thread for complete armies at showcase section?

I would like to see pics of whole armies and I believe there must be several amazing ones here at CDO!

Would it be possible to create such a thread?!?!

:hashut

rabotak:

+1

another thought would be to make several threads like for complete 3d ed, 4-5th ed and wf/8th ed, or for bronze, silver and gold armies.

furrie:

I like the idea

+1

another thought would be to make several threads like for complete 3d ed, 4-5th ed and wf/8th ed, or for bronze, silver and gold armies.

rabotak
I think convertion/custom and other companies should be added to the list.

Bolg:

Great idea. But I would go for one thread for all 3rd, 4th and 8th or 3rd party armies.

rabotak:

on a second thought, edition-specific threads could pose the difficulty that many armies are mixed ones that include units of oall/more than one edition, converted ones or 3rd party minis…

cornixt:

A single thread makes sense, my full army doesn’t have any 3rd or FW models (yet) but still doesn’t fit into any specific category. I doubt that there would be more than a handful of armies that aren’t a mish-mash of several ranges and conversions.

Nicodemus:

What I’d like to see is something that represents a completed end-point (not that someone has stopped working on their or anything), but what ever is posted should be representative of their entire army with all their stuff, and that’s all it is. No running blog of updates for the same army. Ideally, just one entry (could be multiple photos of the same army) for each member. So instead of a running tally of updates and notes of congratulations, just the member and their photos… then, if a year later the member suddenly wants to update their army photos with all their painted FW stuff, they’d lay their whole army out again and then replace their old army photos with the new ‘complete’ ones.

Hope that makes sense. Trying to type and do other things at the same time :stuck_out_tongue:

~N

rabotak:

What I'd like to see is something that represents a completed end-point (not that someone has stopped working on their or anything), but what ever is posted should be representative of their entire army with all their stuff, and that's all it is. No running blog of updates for the same army. Ideally, just one entry (could be multiple photos of the same army) for each member. So instead of a running tally of updates and notes of congratulations, just the member and their photos... then, if a year later the member suddenly wants to update their army photos with all their painted FW stuff, they'd lay their whole army out again and then replace their old army photos with the new 'complete' ones.

Hope that makes sense. Trying to type and do other things at the same time :P
~N

Nicodemus
i think this is a great idea.

Zanko:

What I'd like to see is something that represents a completed end-point (not that someone has stopped working on their or anything), but what ever is posted should be representative of their entire army with all their stuff, and that's all it is. No running blog of updates for the same army. Ideally, just one entry (could be multiple photos of the same army) for each member. So instead of a running tally of updates and notes of congratulations, just the member and their photos... then, if a year later the member suddenly wants to update their army photos with all their painted FW stuff, they'd lay their whole army out again and then replace their old army photos with the new 'complete' ones.

Hope that makes sense. Trying to type and do other things at the same time :P
~N

Nicodemus
That was my idea / intention!

Could have said it better! :hat off

G.2:

I am liking the idea of a single thread for showcasing entire armies. There should be a rule that states that at least one photo must be an ENTIRE army shot. And of course as many close ups as they want.

… then, if a year later the member suddenly wants to update their army photos with all their painted FW stuff, they’d lay their whole army out again and then replace their old army photos with the new ‘complete’ ones.

Nicodemus
I am not sure I am really liking this idea. I think that the original photos should stay online, but maybe the post gets “updated” with a date and new photos showing the growth of the army.

Xander:

I think the best way to do this is to have a single thread with photos of each person’s entire army. Each photo should then link to a thread where more pictures of each army can be viewed (likely their blog thread or similar).

Such a compilation would be worthy of space on the main web site I think. :slight_smile:

Borador:

I think the best way to do this is to have a single thread with photos of each person's entire army. Each photo should then link to a thread where more pictures of each army can be viewed (likely their blog thread or similar).

Such a compilation would be worthy of space on the main web site I think. :)

Xander
You mean like the main page Showcase without the shiny badge? ;P

Shef:

I like this idea, i’m in the process of painting 10-15k worth of 4-5ed big hats that i’ve had since i was a kid and would love to show them off before and after i’ve painted them cause it’s gonna take me like a year to get them all done!

Nicodemus:

I think the best way to do this is to have a single thread with photos of each person's entire army. Each photo should then link to a thread where more pictures of each army can be viewed (likely their blog thread or similar).

Such a compilation would be worthy of space on the main web site I think. :)

Xander
You mean like the main page Showcase without the shiny badge? ;P

Borador
Sort of what it sounds like I guess, although really, anyone (in theory) could showcase their army in this way, so in that sense it's not significantly different from getting a medal for having a blog.

Speaking of medals though, We need some new ones I think. As far as I can tell, 4000 pts is as high as it goes. We need medals made all the way up to 10K and to get a photo drive going for people to get their medals again!

~N

Borador:

Yeah, that’s true, this way anyone can showcase their models!

And I totally agree with Nico; MORE BADGES!

Maybe we should add an “achievement badge” for things like: first homemade CD, first painted CD etc and display the amount of achievements by a number on the badge, a bit like winning multiple GH.

But I’m going waaaaay off topic now!

Xander, just post that new page haha :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Zanko:

Please do not create more badges! :mad

It might be useful to reconsider the current medals but not to implement more of them!

My matter was only that I would like to see some complete army pics and not a new discussion about medals! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I know we all (with complete armies, BB teams or Mordheim Warbands) want the Showcase medal! :cheers

Hashut’s Blessing:

I would recommend one thread where each member posts their completed army and only gets one post. They can have a link to their blog or whatnot. Tey then use the edit button (like I always say) to update the finished army photo - that’ll keep the thread tidy, which is what the showcase is for. Their blog or “finished army pictures collection blog” can be updated as often as they like, since it’s linked to.

Regarding medals, I doubt we’ll do the achievements one because the idea of the medals is that it’s not easy to get them - when you get one, it is an achievement. The achievements you’ve suggested are achievements in their own right :wink:

Nicodemus:

I would recommend one thread where each member posts their completed army and only gets one post. They can have a link to their blog or whatnot. Tey then use the edit button (like I always say) to update the finished army photo - that'll keep the thread tidy, which is what the showcase is for. Their blog or "finished army pictures collection blog" can be updated as often as they like, since it's linked to.

Hashut's Blessing
Prefecto HB! This is the right idea I think. One showcase post per member in that section.

With regards to medals, I really don't want to derail this thread, so I'll be brief (the thread on medals is here). I wasn't necessarily thinking we should have more medals over all. I was thinking there needed to be more "Points of Army medals", and that this would be something that would be likely to come up when folks showcase their 'complete' army (which is on topic for this thread).

~N

Zanko:

Just want to know what the result and the of this discussion?

Will there be a new thread or not?

I’m just curious … :wink:

Nicodemus:

We’ve discussed this at some length with how to proceed, etc. Seems like everyone is in favour of doing it, it just needs to be done the right way - and there’s several opinions of which way the right way should be :stuck_out_tongue:

Where it was left was that when I have time I’ll setup a test page for my own army with what I think it should look like. Then the staff and admins will have something tangible to discuss and we’ll try to proceed quickly from there. Work has been very hectic of late so there’s been no time in the evenings for hobby stuff. Within the next few weeks, however, work will slow down again and I’ll get on with it.

~N