[Archive] Compressed models. Anyone else annoyed?

Grimstonefire:

I’ve had 3 models that have been compressed, but only in certain places.

The Ltd Ed Dwarf BSB (the second version with the longer hair) had his face and arms so compressed that I needed to resculpt them to be about half as wide again.  The head was compressed too thin side to side, whereas the arms were too thin front to back!?

The next one was the newest Khorne Lord on foot, who needed work on one leg.

The most recent is the Games day 09 model (the chaos lord), who needs both legs sculpted much wider.  They are so thin that they are not even wide enough for a leg, let alone any armour ontop.  But the rest of the model is fine?

So of the 3 models 2 have been Ltd ed.

The thing I find annoying about this is that only certain parts of the model seem to be warped? Or is it just bad sculpting?

Anyone else had any dodgy models?

Perturabo:

I fairly often have metal models that are poorly cast, as in the two halves just don’t match up. Like mold lines +. But I don’t recall warpage like you’ve encountered.

Methinks GWs quality control needs improving.

snowblizz:

ATM I can only recall an HE boltthrower from the armydeal that was at least 1-2mm off in one direction. But nothing like you suggest. That I can recall.

I’m not surprised they get it on Ltd eds though. Production models are if I understand correctly run a few times until they are OK and they would probably scrap the worst cases.

Willmark:

My Hellcannon had a very significant gap at the back (the furnace). Also the two halves were not even at that point as well.

Grimstonefire:

My 2 hellcannons (as I was missing half the parts on the first) are also badly cast, with a 2mm (roughly) shift in a casting line on one. Meaning I had to resculpt all the skulls on the top of one half. Also a significant bend on one half in the other set (making them very hard to fit together without a lot of work).

The Hellcannon has to be the single worst model I know of for casting errors and missing parts.

Kera foehunter:

Well, i can’t say i have any messed up stuff from gw!!

must be because i mostly have dwarfs !!

Pyro Stick:

My Hellcannons are probably the worst cast models i have but they arent so bad that i need to do any greenstuff work. They just dont line up very well and there is usually a gap near the furnace where the two halves join. The only other bad casts i have are Grey Knight Incinerators. I have 2 and both have the incinerators severly bent at the end like they are designed to shoot round corners and they are too thick to bend straight.

clam:

I’ve also having a problem with my hellcannon, and like GSF one half has a significant bend. Have to find a way to try and straighten it out again without destroying the hole thing. Think it’s way I haven’t even considered starting painting it.

cornixt:

Big metal things are hard to cast from what I understand. My Hellcannon needed a lot of filing down before the pieces would fit, then I had to fill in the remaining gaps. This extra work meant I never got around to actually painting the thing, he’s still in pieces.

maelzch:

I've also having a problem with my hellcannon, and like GSF one half has a significant bend. Have to find a way to try and straighten it out again without destroying the hole thing. Think it's way I haven't even considered starting painting it.

clam
I had the same problem with mine, took loads of cursing, filing and GS work to fix it!

GRNDL:

Its not a new thing - it happens with metal models. I have a big hat CD hero with Axe (#1) which has a compression front to back, making the hat more elliptical. Its only noticeable from the top and sides, so not a big worry to me, but a bit of an annoyance, especially for a nice old model.

wallacer:

Like many previous posters I had problems with my hellcannon. It was by far the worst sculpted figure i’ve ever had.

Father Grumpmas:

I’ve had a few Gamezone models which have had signficant gaps in them, although the model itself was quite nice.

Kera foehunter:

well thanks guys now your going to make me go home and open my hell canon box

* Kera bumed out now*

BilboBaggins:

We used to joke about the toughest model to build was the Metal Empire Steam Tank, nothing matched up and filing like crazy and green stuff was the norm.

cornixt:

The Hellcannon is a breeze compared to the old Hydra. I lost three fingers to pin-vice fatigue (they grew back)

Baggronor:

The new hydra isn’t exactly fun either, those heads are way too heavy for the neck joints (I say ‘joints’, its more like a square peg and a round hole). I built 2 of them for a friend, I ended up pinning every head because they were very obviously going to come off if it got knocked.

captain carrot:

The new hydra isn't exactly fun either, those heads are way too heavy for the neck joints (I say 'joints', its more like a square peg and a round hole). I built 2 of them for a friend, I ended up pinning every head because they were very obviously going to come off if it got knocked.

Baggronor
Ill keep that in mind for when the girlfriend gets hers. Ive never had any miscasts but the dwarf gyrocopter is a pain to put together so much wieght on so small contact points doesnt work well.

Ogrob:

Never gotten any compressed metal models, but bad casts seem to be rule rather than exeption on my LotR minis. My Eowyn on Horse had to have major surgeries to remove ugly lumps of metal, especialy around the feet, and mounted Aragorn has a huge dent in his sword.