[Archive] 'Continuous basing'. What do you think of it?

Grimstonefire:

What do you all think of basing where there are not such obvious gaps between the bases. For a chaos dwarf army.

Example

Mantic do 100 20mm bases for £7.50, which seems a good deal to me.

Da Crusha:

I really like it. do the mantic bases have a slot or would we have to cut the tab on every model in the army? If that is the case it could take a very long time. cutting tabs, filing smooth, pinning feet to the base. plus cutting the tab lowers the value of the mini… if any one is planning on reselling them. also removing the old bases could be difficult. sometimes removing the base leads to a destroyed base.

Grimstonefire:

Resin would stick better to plastic than metal I think, so it may not need pinning.  Looking ahead here for a WF army. :wink:

The mantic bases have a circle on the top, but hopefully on the bottom it’s just flat(?) Would be handy if I needed to magnetise them

If people were doing a metal army they’d be better doing the upside down GW bases method.  The tabs would work fine if the bases were upside down.

Khan!:

The mantic bases are flat on the bottom, and flush with the corners. They don’t have a lip like the GW ones do, so if you attach magnets to the bottom then they will raise the model up a bit. Altho if you flipped them, and stuck the magnet in the circle…hm I see yes I think that would work just fine! And probably what Grimstonefire was already thinking, yes?

nitroglysarine:

i’m a mantic CD’er so that’s the way i’m doing it. Seems to work quite well, they fit the GW bases well, they are very precisely made.

Da Crusha:

upside down GW bases method.  

Grimstonefire
that is a nice link, I never thought about doing that.

nitroglysarine:

that is a good idea, basing with flock would hide the lip of the model anyway.

sweet, now to get some magnets!

snowblizz:

, basing with flock would hide the lip of the model anyway.

nitroglysarine
No it doesn't! :P

I've seen very few people that flock the lip. Too much "abrasion" there.

Grimstonefire:

@Khan

Yes, that’s what I was thinking.  Not sure if it would be strong enough, but a circle of magnetic sheet might be enough to hold them down, like Xander did for his unit.  Magnetising bases isn’t something I do, but it would be handy to have the option.

I have some neodymium magnets, but I’m planning to use those for swapping out the inevitable WF upgrade parts.  Saves me having to buy multiples of the same thing just to use them.

I was thinking this would be particularly good for CD units, because a lot of people here do their units with lava streams running through them.  If you got them all lined up and painted lines where you wanted the lava to go it would be a much smoother join.

nitroglysarine:

nitroglysarine

snowblizz
You mean where the models circle would sit on the upturned base.
hmmm, it might be a bit to tall I guess.

snowblizz:

nitroglysarine

snowblizz
You mean where the models circle would sit on the upturned base.
hmmm, it might be a bit to tall I guess.

nitroglysarine
I was thinking in terms of regular sloped bases and the sloped surface.
I may not actually know what the "lip" of the base is. Forrinur that I am and all that.

Grimstonefire:

How tall are the mantic bases? For what I’m looking at they don’t really have to be as tall as GW bases.

If I made them flush with a movement tray it would be better if they were a bit lower down.

nitroglysarine:

they are about 2/3 the height of the gw bases. and solid apart from the circular cavity that the figure can spin in.