[Archive] Contrast paints

Dînadan:

Sure everyone�?Ts heard about GW�?Ts latest development in the paint department and thought this would be of interest to people; just come across this on OTT showing a comparison of all the new paints:

https://www.beastsofwar.com/forums/topic/gw-contrast-paints-and-base-coats-examples/

tjub:

Cool, Im sure they will be a great compliment when painting. Ill get some for sure to play around with. :slight_smile:

Jasko:

Yes, same here! Any new tool is welcome.

gorthorbeastlord:

I got to try them out and they’re very good, I’ll definitely be using them over a zenithal prime with some highlights after!

cornixt:

So these are paints that include their own shading?

Dînadan:

So these are paints that include their own shading?

cornixt
And highlighting; they been formulated so that when you apply them over the undercoats it�?Tll stain the higher features with a lighter shade and the recesses with a darker shade. So it�?Ts sorta like a wash except without the need to basecoat each part of the mini with different colours (eg for a classic big hat there�?Ts no need to basecoat the skin a flesh colour, the beard grey, the armour red, etc then wash the skin with the flesh wash, the beard with Nuln Oil, the armour with the red wash, etc, instead you just paint the skin one of the flesh colours, the beard with Black Templar, the armour with one of the reds, etc).

Moloch:

Did anyone try them out?

I’ve just seen some pictures and clips online and some colours look great (blue and yelow) but the black (black templar black I believe) looks pretty weak.

It looked like the highlight parts were painted with a too much dilute standard black paint… maybe it’s the painter who did it wrong but I saw them in several models from different guys.

I really don’t know if give them a try.

Moloch

Jasko:

Did anyone try them out?

I've just seen some pictures and clips online and some colours look great (blue and yelow) but the black (black templar black I believe) looks pretty weak.
It looked like the highlight parts were painted with a too much dilute standard black paint... maybe it's the painter who did it wrong but I saw them in several models from different guys.

I really don't know if give them a try.

Moloch

Moloch
Did you see this very handy chart by Warhammer-Chelmsford?

As for Black Templar, well I mean it is not a regular black paint, it gives the impression of a pretty strongly highlighted black, more a very dark grey. If you want a proper black color, you should stick to the regular black paint. I definitely think it's a very interesting system.

Admiral:

Looks very useful. Worth trying it out!

Moloch:

Did anyone try them out?

I've just seen some pictures and clips online and some colours look great (blue and yelow) but the black (black templar black I believe) looks pretty weak.
It looked like the highlight parts were painted with a too much dilute standard black paint... maybe it's the painter who did it wrong but I saw them in several models from different guys.

I really don't know if give them a try.

Moloch

Moloch
Did you see this very handy chart by Warhammer-Chelmsford?

As for Black Templar, well I mean it is not a regular black paint, it gives the impression of a pretty strongly highlighted black, more a very dark grey. If you want a proper black color, you should stick to the regular black paint. I definitely think it's a very interesting system.

Jasko
Thank you Jasko! Yes, I think you got the point. It looks too much dark greyish (to my taste). The pictures you've linked look way better than way I've saw up to now.

:cheers
Gab