[Archive] Converting the Stunties to the Dark Side

slayerpirate:

I’ve been out of the hobby for a while, but worked for GW for a few years back in 2001-2003ish. During that time, I amassed a pretty good sized Dwarf force. I’m now looking at converting them to Chaos Dwarfs, and taking my time to make them look good and have the proper fluff.

I am looking at Uzulak, as it seemed to be a port/trade city, with access to water to use to build my fluff around.

With everyone’s help, I’m nailing down the style that I’d like to play. I’ll work on converting the troops to forgeworld style, while having the individuals as the big hats. This will (hopefully) allow me to pick up a few of those gorgeous forgeworld models and not have them look entirely out of place.

My army consists of entirely 6th edition stuff. The 2001-3 era dwarfs. The standard guys are plastic, and I’m hopefully they’ll be fairly easy to convert. The special guys are all metal… (engineers, heros, longbeards…) Those are going to be much trickier. I’d love to have this work as a CD list, as well as a standard Dwarf list, so I could have things like a CD gyrocopter and slayers.

So, I’ve got some round bases (that seems to be the standard now, right? and 25mm for foot troops?) from secret weapon minis, and think I’ll start working on some foot soldiers, hopefully this weekend!

Feels good to have a plan, I’ll post some pics shortly.

Thanks so much for taking an interest, and providing any help you can. As questions get answered, I’ll edit to reflect the progress.

Someone commented on the username. If anyone was around back when GW had their official forums, I was a mod/admin there with this handle.

:cheers

cornixt:

There is so little in the way of models for our army and background that you can really do almost anything with either and people won’t raise an eyebrow. As long as they are evil Dwarfs and in charge, you are good to go.

Jackswift:

It is very cool to see you digging so deep with the fluff. There is a massive variety in the armies here, from pure big hat too pure forgeworld, to combinations of both, to something entirely different with scratchbuilds, custom sculpts, and a whole lot of everything else thrown in. There are models representing probably 25-30 different manufacturers in the blogs and showcases, and the Warhammer world has expanded, and been brutalized enough that you can get very creative with your fluff.

If you like the dark mean stunty look, then go with it, and build your fluff to explain it. You are starting from a pure Dwarf force which is going to give you a unique look. As for using a port city as base, you are bound to find more external cultural influences, new or different ideas, and unique armor and weapons in a port city with exposure to the outside world, so that is definitely a good place to start, and gives you the leeway you need to take it where you want to. Plus, for dwarfs on a ship. Big hats might be a hindrance… though doubtless some will disagree. :wink:

Willmark:

There is so little in the way of models for our army and background that you can really do almost anything with either and people won't raise an eyebrow. As long as they are evil Dwarfs and in charge, you are good to go.

cornixt
What he said.

Welcome aboard.

Fuggit Khan:

Plus, for dwarfs on a ship.  Big hats might be a hindrance... though doubtless some will disagree.  ;)

Jackswift
Shiver me timbers, that be land lubber nonsense. Big Hats love their boats matey! :cheers
There is so little in the way of models for our army and background that you can really do almost anything with either and people won't raise an eyebrow. As long as they are evil Dwarfs and in charge, you are good to go.

cornixt
What he said.

Welcome aboard.

Willmark
Exactly, welcome aboard and we're looking forward to seeing what you come up with :hat off

Carcearion:

As a Big Hat wearing Big Hat with an interest in Big Hats who collects Big Hats I’d recommend going with theeeee… hmmmmm… Big Hat Style

:hat :hat :hat

To be totally honest, nothing says merchant like those hats, they are a proud display of wealth and power. Exactly what you need looming over someone as they try to talk to you down 15%

Really allot of success has been had mixing and matching miniature ranges and styles, that might well be the place to go.

Abecedar:

Welcome and what they all said.   You can create any back story you like.   FW are Helms and masks but the head boss of that legion had a big hat.  They could be more of a dress uniform than everyday going to battle clothes.   I know my armies ‘story’ is still evolving from the original idea(s) so just go for it.

oh and I have a small unit of citadel Pirate-Slayers used as Beserkers so the sky is the limit

slayerpirate:

Wow, thanks for the replies!

I’ll be asking more help on fluff in the future, but for now, the big question…

anyone know of any conversions/guides for 6th Ed. Dwarfs? This it what my entire army is. I’m hoping that if going the FW mask style worked in the fluff, I can sand down the heads and greenstuff helmets pretty easily. I’ve got some guides for the beards bookmarked too. (There isn’t a source for just beards or heads that I’ve been able to find)

Willmark:

My suggestion is to scour the blog posts in this very forum and see what most is like what you’re attempting to accomplish. Chances are there is someone who has already thought up what you are looking to do. There is nothing wrong with that. By way of example? For my chaos dwarf blunderbusses? I was inspired by a member with only a 100 posts, who vanished from he site the first year of the site (2007) and probably one I remember.

Bottom line you never know where inspiration will strike, good luck.

cornixt:

Take a look at the [[Chaos Dwarf Hobby Articles]] and

http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=12

http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=41

Pappa Midnight:

I’m also a fan of big hats but can see the appeal of the FW closed helmets. As it’s you army it’s really a case of go with what you like. I think a mixture of types would work well and I agree with Abecedar, with the standard troops having the closed helm and unit leaders and elites the big hat style.

look forward to seeing what you come up with.

PM