[Archive] Cool lava board

Grimstonefire:

Check this out, it’s from the GW blog

BABIS:

AMAZING!

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

Skink:

Yeah it’s amazing isn’t it? I suppose that it would be pretty easy to scratch build one… What do you guys think?

Grimstonefire:

A lot of the rocky areas look like layers of cork board. With some bigger bits of cut high density foam.

Nicodemus:

A lot of the rocky areas look like layers of cork board.  With some bigger bits of cut high density foam.

Grimstonefire
Yes, this would be my guess for the materials. The ground has some texture as well. I've been experimenting lately with Krylon's textured spray paint. It works amazingly well and you can even use it to hide small imperfections from seams or miscuts, etc. Plus you don't need any primer. Just spray it on insulation foam/cork/etc and then let it dry for a few hours and it'll adhere to the surface, after which you can sand it down a little or a lot, adding or removing texture and detail as needed. I think you can get this stuff for plastic use as well.

~N

Yodrin:

Awesome!!

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

Fuggit Khan:

Very cool…I think the large skulls and other various terrain bits are from Dreadfleet?

They look vaguely familiar…

Dînadan:

Very cool...I think the large skulls and other various terrain bits are from Dreadfleet?
They look vaguely familiar...

Fuggit Khan
I think it may be an OoP plastic ruined chaos temple for Fantasy or 40k - I'm sure I've seen something similar on the GW website in the past but can't seem to find it now. :s

ClawLeader:

That’s legit, maybe one day I’ll make a game board…

Glimpse the Void:

I concur, that is the OOP terrain piece. This makes it hard for me to stick to plans to build my ice table…

RiTides:

It looks awesome :). But the models are so spaced out, must have been intended for a larger army!

Grimbold Blackhammer:

Awesome! And added to my Pintrest board.