[Archive] Cryomancers

sundrinker:

My minds been wandering a bit this week between taking a break from chaos dwarfs and purchasing first edition entirly for the crack.

and looking over gw’s website i came across an article from winter called the lore of ice. it gives six cards containing a new lore of magic (ice magic) so i was wondering could this be used by those chaos dwarfs who use cold magic (cryomancers?).

i think pyrostick made something similer to what im talking about.

Dervish Helldance:

Noticed them too, however I don’t think it fits the Chaos Dwrfs theme very well. The followers of Hashut prefer volcanoes and all that stuff, not really ice… I think… But i would like to try the lore out some time.

Firehammer:

Not before Hell freezes over … wait :wink:

Hashut’s Blessing:

Well, the lore of ice is specifically for the Tzarina Kattrina (sp?) of the Kislev army, intended to primarily be used as an allied contingetn, although it can be a stand alone army, technically.

The lore of Winter was brought up recently, which may be waht you’re referring to, although I may have seen that in WD, but I may be talking out of my rear end. Regardless, it has bonuses and penalties dependent upon the weather, time of day and time of year etc.

Ultimately, there may be a small sect of icy CDs, but that’s more if you want there to be. Otherwise, all indications point towards firey, lava-y, magma-y, volcano-esque stuff.

Thorne:

Id reckon that would be about right HB but I wouldnt rule out necromancy for CD’s either, Seams quite apt that a CD wouldnt ever want his slaves to die too but Seeing a ice lore mage in a CD army would be kinda cool after doing big hats ect ect I could see their none hashut worhipiing bretheren looking into other arts of magicks fluff wise I wouldnt be comfortable having lamassu’s and Taruses in the same army as a Cryomancer type cd but it could work :smiley:

Snotling:

Id reckon that would be about right HB but I wouldnt rule out necromancy for CD's either,

Thorne
Of course not, I think a CD has no problem to take a book and start reading...^^

Ancient History:

I posted a brief thread a while ago about Chaos Dwarfs using Winter Magic, based in part on the fluff regarding Ice Magic and Kislev.

Personally, I think Necromancy would be a good alternate theme for Chaos Dwarfs; ancestor worship and steadfast loyalty (even beyond death) taken to macabre extremes.

Willmark:

Lava makes more sense as the element (fire) associated IMHO.

Snotling:

Lava makes more sense as the element (fire) associated IMHO.

Willmark
yep. For the Dawi-Zharr, but what about corrupted dwarfs in other regions? And even the dwarfs in the Plains of Zharr use also shadow and death magic. I would say cyromancy and necromancy is nothing for "our" Chaosdwarfs, the friendly little worshippers of Hashut from the factory next door, but why not have something like a renegade cult of corrupted dwarfs practising with other lore, even chaos magic...
And evil Ice Dwarfs and an undead stunty horde sounds pretty cool for me, because I don't care much about background as long as the stuff looks cool...
Voodoo Dwarfs for the win!!:hat off

Willmark:

I’m not saying I can’t see it rather that the archetype is what works for me.

Firehammer:

All Chaos Dwarfs I know (and appreciate) are associated with fire, lava, forges and heat. Classic Bighat background. Well, my name is not Icehammer for a reason :wink:

You might be interested in Volgar by Dwarf Tales dwarftales.com is for sale | HugeDomains plus perhaps Scibor’s Moscal Dwarfs. Backgroundwise, these may be the Dwarfs that went North instead of East and got corrupted as well.

Zanko:

These may be the Dwarfs that went North instead of East and got corrupted as well.

Firehammer
Corrupted Chaos Dwarfs ... nice concept!

Sounds a bit chauvinistic! :)

Imo Chaos Dwarfs are much more than a small "fire associated sect" - I think Hashut is more than only one limited aspect!

Hashut is a god (and not that kind of a small unimportant god like the greek ones)! And a real god is not restricted to only one minor issue like being the god of fire and lava!

A god is "fexible"; imo that means that a god is able to bind and integrate many different people, thoughts and environmental conditions in his faith!

So (for me and my idea of being a god) it's no contrast to be a god of fire and ice; of BigHats and Marauders and and and ...

:hashut

Firehammer:

Corrupted Chaos Dwarfs ... nice concept!

Sounds a bit chauvinistic! :)

Zanko
Actually corrupted dwarf, not corrupted Chaos Dwarf. Chaos corruption started AFTER they went East/North and connection was lost. That's the point I was trying to make.
Imo Chaos Dwarfs are much more than a small "fire associated sect" - I think Hashut is more than only one limited aspect!

Hashut is a god (and not that kind of a small unimportant god like the greek ones)! And a real god is not restricted to only one minor issue like being the god of fire and lava!

Zanko
Hashut is represented by a red hot Taurus, not an ice cold penguin, so Hashut is a bit biased towards warm elements ;)
But they certainly have other Gods in the North, maybe Atishoo, God of Ice :)

Ancient History:

This makes me want to work up a treatment of different aspects of Hashut worship.

The Unquenchable/Lore of Fire (Slaves of Hashut)

Hashut as the daemon-god of fire, eternally blazing; the sparks from his hooves are the stars in the sky that spell out his will, and his fiery breath ignites the souls of Chaos Dwarfs as the enter this world. Every hearth and forge-flame is holy to Hashut, the black tar and molten lava of the earth is his ichors, gifts to his children, and when Hashut is angered the earth trembles. The sorcerer-priests of the Unquenchable are often consumed by the desire to spread his incandescent glory, to crack the earth beneath their enemies’ feet and see them consumed by the hidden fires within, and so are welcomed among the Chaos Dwarf armies and garrisons.

The Brazen Bull/Lore of Metal (Sorcerer-Engineers)

Hashut as the bull of sacrifice, the ideal form of Chaos Dwarf, the perfect fusion of immutable metal and indomitable spirit, the master of secrets and the forge. The Brazen Bull is a popular conception of the most intellectual and spiritual Chaos Dwarfs; alchemists, engineers, sorcerers, and scribes. Their following is strongest in Zharr-Naggrund, where they tend the many forges and sacrificial altars cast in Hashut’s image.

The Ancestor God/Lore of Death (Slatebeards)

Hashut as the Ancestor God of the Dawi’zharr, and caretaker of their own ancestors. A most ancient relic of the ancestral worship of the Dwarfs of the West, practiced by the bulk of the Chaos Dwarf population in somber rituals, oaths, and superstitions. The sorcerer-priests of the Ancestor God are the most tradition-bound of all, and they are meticulous in their observation of his worship and sacrifices to him during funerary rites, to properly honor the dead. This tradition is everywhere in the Chaos Dwarf empire, though it wanes a little more every generation.

The Father of Darkness/Lore of Shadow (Darkwardens)

Hashut as the dweller in the deepest mine pits, the shadow of the chaos moon, the abyss between worlds. His followers gather at the Tower of Gorgoth, where the mines delving into the ancient volcano are deeper than anywhere else in the world, and the mine-overseers carve small shrines to Hashut at every level, asking for his protection and guidance in the darkness beneath the earth.

Dark Father/Lore of Winter (Sons of Dark Father)

Hashut as the shadow over the land, the eternal winter that penetrates every heart and hold. Centered in Uzkulak, where it has nearly obtained the status of a sub-cult, and its adherents trade slaves with Yhetees and seek to enslave the Ice Witches of Kislev, who twist Hashut’s frozen magic for their own.

Zanko:

Great listing - very coherent in itself! :hat off

This is exactly what I mean with the different aspects and the integrative potential of a real god! :wink:

And imo fire and ice aren’t so different aspects like it (at first) seems!

:hashut

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Very Interesting! I like the imagery in your descriptions!

sundrinker:

ancient history that is a very good list you got there and if i was looking for an excuse to use ice magic for cds that would be it.

zanko raises a good point about different aspects of one god this would also be another reason that hashut is set apart from the four great powers who only have one sphere of influnence.

the purpose of a god is also situational: a god of fire and metal only is great in a place where there is lots of fire and metal but is pointless were there is ice and snow. so a god with different aspects is the gift that just keeps on giving no matter where you are.

Border Reiver:

Ancient (I can use your first name, right?) very coherent and very good idea of how the different lores are used.