[Archive] Daith's Army

Daith:

Hello all,

Here is my introduction! I am a long time lurker on this site (since before the Forge World minis came out), but never felt that I had enough to contribute to make it worth registering. That changed with the recent Artisan’s Contest XXI. The theme of making a Chaos Dwarf board game was irresistible, so I decided to make a game and finally register for the site. I have held off making this thread until now to keep my entry anonymous. My Chaos Dwarfs are primarily BfSP conversions. As such, I feel they are rather unique. Since the artwork on my entry parallels my dwarfs, it would have given my entry away. Now that voting is done, I figure that I am good to finally start an army blog. As BfSP conversions, my dwarfs also take me a very long time to make and paint, so expect updates to be infrequent.

My understanding is that posts can be edited, so I will try to keep this first post reasonably up to date with full army shots. At least whenever I take a full army shot, I will put it here.

[align=center]2017 Image Salvage

[/align]

Daith:

Here are some additional, closer images of my minis.

Note, I do not plan on basing my minis until I have a larger collection put together, as I care more about getting a fully colored army than some models being fully finished. You will also note that most of these are green skins. This is because I decided not to convert any green skins, so they made it to the paint tray sooner than the dwarves did.

Black Orcs:

Hobgoblins with spears:

Hobgoblins with bow:

Black Orc hero:

Hobgoblin heroes:

Blunderbusses:

Random CD banner:

BC champion:

War machines without crew:

Nicodemus:

Excellent work - hearkens right back to the beginnings of CDO with a good BFSP conversion :wink: Nicely done. If you add a wash to these they will be perfect.

Nothing wrong with greenskins, slaves are always needed :wink: Plus, if you can find anyone playing 8.5 or 9th age you can use the old Ravening Hordes list, which allows 0-1 Black Orc slaves, and allows units of Gobbos.

Good choice about the first post updates/editing as well!

Looking forward to seeing more.

~N

Abecedar:

Great start.

The art of converting BFSP’s has slowly dwindled and it’s great to see someone doing it.

Daith:

Here are a few more pictures of my Golden Hat entry. When the competition announcement came out, I was very unsure of whether I was going to do this competition or not, but some friends convinced me it would be a good idea and when the due date was extended I figured I would have enough time to try. This model is definitely the biggest model I have ever attempted. It will be a fun and diverse model to use, so I am definitely glad I participated!

The ship is primarily made from the Titan Forge colossal zeppelin, but I wanted it to be sail powered not powered by propellers. I have no idea if this is possible or practical in reality, I just like the idea of it. I have also worked very little with resin in the past and I have determined I am not particularly fond of it. It appears to be very detailed, but I had quit a bit of trouble getting the seams between pieces tidied up.

Finally, as has already been said elsewhere, there were some phenomenal entries for this Golden Hat! I thoroughly enjoyed seeing everyone else’s take on a Chaos Dwarf airship. Thanks to all for a great competition.

Pappa Midnight:

I really like your take on a CD airship. Those sails remind me of a sampan and give the model a cool oriental vibe.

Please accept some slaves to help man it!

Regards

PM

Carcearion:

A really impressive and inventive build!

Grimbold Blackhammer:

That’s a fun zeppelin! Well done!!

Admiral:

Wonderful zeppelin conversion and neat choice of colours. Winged sailing airship is indeed evocative! And reminds one of Warcraft Goblin zeppelins, which can only be a good thing.

Daith:

Thanks all! I am glad you like it. As I mentioned, I had a lot of fun putting it together and am very excited to have the mini to use.

Those sails remind me of a sampan and give the model a cool oriental vibe.

Papa Midnight
That’s where I got the inspiration!

Eventually I want to make sailing ships for my Chaos Dwarfs. Although they are an imperial force, I feel the classic European style man o’ war ship would look too much like it should be manned by Empire soldiers. So in trying to figure out the aesthetic I want for my Chaos Dwarfs, I spent some time thinking about what other flavors of ship I could copy and the Chinese junks came to mind as something that looked clearly different. They also sort of have a Dark Elf feel to them with extra points and curves, which is always an aesthetic I keep in mind when considering Chaos Dwarfs. Just like Dark Elves, Chaos Dwarfs need to look suitably different from their morally good siblings, but still feel like the same race. I felt using Chinese ships as inspiration got far enough away from the classic Nordic feel of traditional Dwarfs, inspired a slightly more traditional chaotic feel, and is also something I like the look of.

Wonderful zeppelin conversion and neat choice of colours. Winged sailing airship is indeed evocative! And reminds one of Warcraft Goblin zeppelins, which can only be a good thing.

Admiral
I did not know about this airship, but that is exactly the flavor I was going for! I am a big fan of the ridiculousness of goblins. I really enjoy the idea that doing something completely out of the ordinary can sometimes actually be helpful, sort of like an overzealous alchemist or inventor. The Warcraft version you showed has exactly this cobbled together feel. In my version of Chaos Dwarf society, Chaos Dwarfs do much the same thing as goblins, just with a little more craft and stubbornness, but with no less foresight (this helps make them chaotic). My sister joked that this airship should be called “Prototype 9,” capturing the stubbornness of them having this great idea of a flying ship, but refusing to give up on the idea despite clear failure of the idea to work. So I’m glad “Prototype 9” reminds you of the Warcraft airship, not just because I like the look of this other ship, but also because it connects surprisingly nicely to my story of Chaos Dwarfs.

Zanko:

Your zeppelin is awesome! :hat off

Really like your entry, hopefully you will create more stuff like this! :wink:

:hashut

Daith:

I’ve been meaning to put these pictures up for some time, but haven’t got around to it. Better late than never I guess.

Here is my last Golden Hat entry. I misunderstood the directions and read “miniatures” in the entry as being multiple, so I made two gunnery teams, though in the end I only entered one. Here they are:

Abecedar:

Great to see conversions. I think I have more fun doing them than painting.

A little twist can put a “pun” into the mini for those that think that way.

And I forgot to say that having the Airships Cannon underslung was a great idea.

And I have a ballista type thing in the works too. Great Minds and all that.