[Archive] Dark Omen **This message was automatically appended because it was too short.**

Allanp:

hey there guys. i was going through some of my old games recently and came across one that i remember and absolutely love. i was wondering how many other people here had played dark omen and what they thought of it?

i also wanted to know if anyone had played it recently and if so how. i seem to have major trouble in getting the game to work on anything newer than windows 95 which is a rather large problem playing wise haha

Grimstonefire:

Classic game, but very tricky to do certain levels I think.

A couple of levels really stand out for me. The one where your troops are deployed in a narrow area running along the bottom, restricted by a cliff wall. You have to send your troops left along the bottom, being constantly bombarded by the skull catapult, then around a few rocks before advancing north. I always found my wizards getting killed within a few minutes, picked off by the catapults.

Another one is where the Hand is freed from the ice.

I haven’t played that for years, but normally things like this people come up with patches for so you can play on XP/vista etc.

Piccolo:

Dark Omen was great. The best Warhammer FB PC game so far. Haven’t played it in a while but it worked on my XP. There was something you needed to change in game options for it to work but I can’t remember what it was.

Grimstonefire:

Forgot to say that there is a patch to play Dark Omen using Chaos Dwarfs now.

There is a link somewhere on here.

snowblizz:

Man that game sucked so bad. And I sooo wanted it to work. There was just so many annoying things ruining it for me when I played it a long time ago…

Thorne:

Dark omen was kind of disapointing, After playingthe origanal more times than I care to remember (shadow of the horned rat) I just loved that game. I was quite sad after upgrading my PS2 to a Xbox 360 that I couldnt play it again but the memories that those games bring back when just comming up in conversation just make me smile.

GRNDL:

@Thorne

Seriously? Shadow of the Horned Rat was so buggy I couldn’t even get past the 2nd level, and all those horrible low resolution sprites didn’t help the game at all. Dark Omen on the hand was far more polished and better planned out IMO. I remember several of my friends who didn’t even like Warhammer playing that game far more than I did. I remember them ranting for aeyonks about the Hand of Nagash and the pain it gave them, IIRC.

Khaosbeardling:

I loved both of the games. Would love to see a modern iteration of it made.

nitroglysarine:

All this talking of Sprites brings back great memories of Dungeon Keeper.

Ahhhhh nostalgia.

GRNDL:

I loved both of the games. Would love to see a modern iteration of it made.

Khaosbeardling
There was one made a few years ago: "Warhammer: Mark of Chaos" and its expansion "Battlemarch." I thought it was pretty cool, but didn't play it that much.

Unless you mean the old content, remade for a modern generation of computer?

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Didn’t mind “Horned Rat” for PS1…but I never finished it. It was my first introduction to Warhammer!

It’s dynamics helped me play the tabletop version later on.

Khaosbeardling:

I loved both of the games.  Would love to see a modern iteration of it made.

Khaosbeardling
There was one made a few years ago: "Warhammer: Mark of Chaos" and its expansion "Battlemarch."  I thought it was pretty cool, but didn't play it that much.  

Unless you mean the old content, remade for a modern generation of computer?

GRNDL
I played both of those, and I wouldn't really put those in the same category. I thought they stunk pretty hard but maybe it's my rose-tinted glasses getting in the way.

Xander:

Loved Dark Omen. I’ve often considered making Commander Burnheart and crew as a small DOW army.

Neil:

I still play Dark Omen now and then, it’s one of those games from years ago that I wanted to play then but couldn’t as I didn’t have a decent computer. I still don’t have a decent machine, so I can’t play stuff like Total War, but I can go back and play all the games (Dark Omen, Neverwinter Nights etc) that seemed like they would be really cool when I was still at school. It’s a good game the main problem being it’s difficult to pay attention to more than one or two units at a time, so while you are doing one thing you can find that several other units have been battered without you noticing. The cheesy dialogue scenes are a bit irritating too.

My favourite retro game, which I discovered quite by accident has got to be Fantasy General. Anyone else play this one?