[Archive] dealing with Dragonhelm Nurgle Daemon Prince

Kyte:

So today I got completely butchered by WoC mostly due to a Nurgle Daemon Prince with scaly skin and the dragonhelm. He spent the early round clearing chaff, then went on to holding up my destroyer doing a wound here and there for the rest of the game.

I couldn’t seem to stop it with anything in my list as it was so mobile and practically immune to both my artillery and my K’daai.

I know in theory, a charge from a skullcracker could take it down, but that would be a bit hard to pull off with the much lower movement.

What would you recommend for dealing with such a son of a b****?

Grimbold Blackhammer:

My Chaos Dwarves have only faced him once. He charged one of my Iron Daemons (to avoid getting shot thinking it would be safer to be in combat than dodge the cannonade) so I charged him with the other on my turn. Other than that, Sorcerer Lore on a Taurus maybe? Ash Storm and shoot the heck out of him? No good answers there…

Geist:

Several good answers to this problem.

1 Flames of Azergoth, T-2 or die under the hole. His base is rather large being a 50. So odds of nicking him are fairly high.

2 Dread quake direct hit. Will do a fair number of wounds.

3 Hell cannon, see above.

4 Demo charge missle. Harder to dot, but still do able again with him being on a 50mm, so a hit or 2 inch drift will nail him. Hint make a marker for the demon charge so you have a point of reference will make things alot easier.

5 Spirit leach, thanks to the new FAQ you can use your generals leader with out being in same unit as him.

6 Depending on his load out a Taruk with 1+save and 2+ vs flaming and stubborn crown can hold him for a few.

7 The destroyer can hold him, wont kill him but hold him.

Rember your not always trying to kill him you just need to keep him busy and beat up the rest of the warriors army.

That’s 7 ways to work with deal with or attempt to handle a Demon Prince of any flavor.

Samanos:

Several good answers to this problem.
1 Flames of Azergoth, T-2 or die under the hole.  His base is rather large being a 50.  So odds of nicking him are fairly high.
2 Dread quake direct hit.  Will do a fair number of wounds.
3 Hell cannon, see above.
4 Demo charge missle.  Harder to dot, but still do able again with him being on a 50mm, so a hit or 2 inch drift will nail him.  Hint make a marker for the demon charge so you have a point of reference will make things alot easier.
5 Spirit leach, thanks to the new FAQ you can use your generals leader with out being in same unit as him.
6 Depending on his load out a Taruk with 1+save and 2+ vs flaming and stubborn crown can hold him for a few.
7 The destroyer can hold him, wont kill him but hold him.
Rember your not always trying to kill him you just need to keep him busy and beat up the rest of the warriors army.
That's 7 ways to work with deal with or attempt to handle a Demon Prince of any flavor.

Geist
+1

just to add my 2 cents:
8) if you have both destroyer and iron demon, you can use destroyer as a bait for the iron prince and then counter charge with iron demon. tha means that he must be close though.
9) shoot him with the cannonade, this guy has 4 w only!!

Ceann Fine:

Iron daemons will do the job fairly well, one decent round of shooting should drop him :slight_smile:

Sherlocko:

How do you counter charge with the Iron Demon? Since the FAQ, I was under the impression that it cannot Close the gap?

Grimbold Blackhammer:

Iron Daemon’s follow all the normal rules for charging when they charge aside from having an extremely narrow charge vector. When they charge, they close the door to the enemy model just like any other unit.

We should probably sticky the actual Iron Daemon rules somewhere…

Jake:

How do you counter charge with the Iron Demon? Since the FAQ, I was under the impression that it cannot Close the gap?

Sherlocko
Wasn't it you on my question about that exact thing that taught me it did indeed close the gap? Has there been any FAQ changing your mind about that since then?

Sherlocko:

Oooooh, I read a “not” in the FAQ that wasn´t there and it just got stuck in my head. Good I was wrong. :slight_smile:

Geist:

Either way the trick is stick him with a destroyer, and then charge a iron demon (preferable skullcracker for more impact hits), and with any luck run his ass over. As to the FAQ I thought the CD one said that it must close the door even when it travels in a straight line. Have we had another FAQ does it work differently again?

Sherlocko:

Either way the trick is stick him with a destroyer, and then charge a iron demon (preferable skullcracker for more impact hits), and with any luck run his ass over.  As to the FAQ I thought the CD one said that it must close the door even when it travels in a straight line.  Have we had another FAQ does it work differently again?

Geist
Nono, you have it right. I just read it wrong then I read it. Only thing is that when you travel in a straight line you have to Contact the same facing as you started in. :)

RichardC1967:

my Nurgle Daemon Prince is a lvl 4 magic user with Death magic
and has Glittering scale armor  (-1) to hit in CC, along with-1 for MON, so -2 to hit in CC
Poisonous slime
Soul Feeder
Chaos Familiar
Scaled Skin
and Fly option…my usual opponents don’t use flame attacks so I’m not concerned about that…with Death Magic I fly him around and attack characters hidden in units, and if he has to go CC, his -2 to hit, and armour and ward save usually save him…if he causes wounds and has taken some, the Soul feeder usually gives him back 1 or 2, and his poisonous attacks also can account for 1-2 automatic wounds in CC…I also run Festus along with him and try to use the Nurgle Magic spells he rolls to aid the Daemon Prince if possible…if that doesn’t work…the huge turd he is mounted on causes my opponents to gag and make bad die rolls.

Grimbold Blackhammer:

And being so expensive is exactly why it is a good idea to kill it!

RichardC1967:

And being so expensive is exactly why it is a good idea to kill it!

Grimbold Blackhammer
maybe so, but you'll have to contend with the other 2000 points of my army first...and we just play for fun anyway..if i played in a tournament i'd have a more practical general

delivern:

Give lore of metal to one of your daemonsmiths. Throw 6 dice for the big way. Most Nurgle DP’s will have a 1+ or 3+ save. Should kill it in half the games.:hat off

Da Crusha:

Give lore of metal to one of your daemonsmiths.  Throw 6 dice for the big way.   Most Nurgle DP's will have a 1+ or 3+ save.  Should kill it in half the games.:hat off

delivern
Lore of metal magic is flaming I believe.

rubencm81:

Lore of metal is Flaming, so useless.

gateway:

and has Glittering scale armor  (-1) to hit in CC, along with-1 for MON, so -2 to hit in CC
Poisonous slime
Soul Feeder
Chaos Familiar
Scaled Skin
and Fly option..my usual opponents don't use flame attacks so I'm not concerned about that..with Death Magic I fly him around and attack characters hidden in units, and if he has to go CC, his -2 to hit, and armour and ward save usually save him..if he causes wounds and has taken some, the Soul feeder usually gives him back 1 or 2, and his poisonous attacks also can account for 1-2 automatic wounds in CC...I also run Festus along with him and try to use the Nurgle Magic spells he rolls to aid the Daemon Prince if possible...if that doesn't work..the huge turd he is mounted on causes my opponents to gag and make bad die rolls.

RichardC1967
I cant believe no one has commented on your DP is it, what really flying over a giant turd that's just sick dude.

RichardC1967:

Poisonous slime
Soul Feeder
Chaos Familiar
Scaled Skin
and Fly option..my usual opponents don't use flame attacks so I'm not concerned about that..with Death Magic I fly him around and attack characters hidden in units, and if he has to go CC, his -2 to hit, and armour and ward save usually save him..if he causes wounds and has taken some, the Soul feeder usually gives him back 1 or 2, and his poisonous attacks also can account for 1-2 automatic wounds in CC...I also run Festus along with him and try to use the Nurgle Magic spells he rolls to aid the Daemon Prince if possible...if that doesn't work..the huge turd he is mounted on causes my opponents to gag and make bad die rolls.

RichardC1967
I cant believe no one has commented on your DP is it, what really flying over a giant turd that's just sick dude.

gateway
Why yes it is flying over a giant turd....thanks for noticing...:o

Samanos:

Poisonous slime
Soul Feeder
Chaos Familiar
Scaled Skin

RichardC1967

gateway
Why yes it is flying over a giant turd....thanks for noticing...:o

RichardC1967
omg... I just saw that and I have seen this pic a dozen times...x.x:sick