[Archive] Dealing with the unkillable dreadlord

khedyarl:

Man, is there anything Ash Storm doesn’t do? heh.

Fair point, though. It does restrict his movement pretty heavily - but his base movement is enough to get him away from the straight-line charge of the Daemon. It’ll inconvenience him for a turn for sure.

Geist:

Actually given how wide an irondemon/skull cracker is. Add to that the fact that the lord can only go 9 inches. Plus the fact that iron demon can pivot before it uses the steam boiler rule. It has a very real chance of catching the lord. If that fails you still have at least 2 turns to drop a volcano under his butt and watch him die. Rolling a 2 or less is not a good odds to survive.

Animatone:

I would say Blood of Hashut his @$$ back to Naggaroth!

So he has a 1+ armor save (GREAT!), now you wound on 1+ (however 1’s still fail) and the best part is he doesn’t get an armor save from the attack, also because there’s no strength value associated with the attack his pendent save which is based off the strength of the attack is useless (No Strength = No save = Dead Elf).

So get yourself a flying Daemonsmith and stick it to him!

If you have to fight fire with fire, I would think the CD’s fire always burns brighter and hotter then the rest.

khedyarl:

Actually given how wide an irondemon/skull cracker is.  Add to that the fact that the lord can only go 9 inches.  Plus the fact that iron demon can pivot before it uses the steam boiler rule.  It has a very real chance of catching the lord.  If that fails you still have at least 2 turns to drop a volcano under his butt and watch him die.  Rolling a 2 or less is not a good odds to survive.

Geist
The Iron Daemon may not pivot before using the steam boiler - the steam boiler rule is pretty specific about that. The Iron Daemon must move directly forward from its current position if it wants to charge anything. So, given that, it's effectively impossible to hit the Dreadlord unless he either wants you to, or you can pin him in combat with something else, first.

I wonder, in this case, if a Prophet on Lamassu or Taurus with the Blood of Hashut isn't the best way (assuming you haven't tooled your list with a lore of metal Prophet to specifically fight Dark Elves). Animatone may be on to something here.

Animatone:

I really think the BOH with a flying Daemonsmith is the way to go. No worries and it gets the job done.

I’d love to see the face of the dark elf player when you bust that one out on them… Priceless!

Geist:

Problem, the way he gets that !+ save is because of the dragon helm. Which gives him a 2+ vs fire. If I recall correctly the blood is worked out exactly like the lore of metal wounding chart. Which means its a flaming attack.

As to not being able to pivot when using the boiler rule, that’s fine, you just declare a normal charge. Which you are allowed to pivot in.

Animatone:

Damn… That’s right… 2+ Ward against flaming attacks… WTF.

So BOH is a no go, that is if he has the dragon helm, which he probably would, but then again it would work if he decided to go with heavy armor (5+), mount (4+), shield (3+), sea dragon cloak (2+) and opt for the pendant and some other attacking items.

But either way DAMN!

Da Crusha:

As to not being able to pivot when using the boiler rule, that's fine, you just declare a normal charge.  Which you are allowed to pivot in.

Geist
To charge with it you must engage the boilers. If it engages the boilers it is not allowed to pivot.

khedyarl:

Yeah, there’s no way to get around it - if the ID wants to charge, it has to go in a straight line without wheeling/pivoting. It doesn’t have a normal march/charge option like other units.

As for the Dragonhelm: I didn’t think the Dragonhelm was the way it was getting 1+, I thought it was the enchanted shield? Otherwise: heavy armour, shield, Sea cloak, dragonhelm = 2+.

Grimbold Blackhammer:

You seem to have missed the +1 armour save bonus for being mounted.

Grimbold Blackhammer

Geist:

Hvy armour 5+

Shield 4+

SeaDragon Cloak 3+

MOUNTED 2+

Dragonhelm 1+

zhatan87:

Here, every dreadlord has its dragon helm… Because no DE player wants to lose it against a metal spell…

Which is pretty sad for our Blood of Hashut…:frowning:

khedyarl:

Dur. Mounted, of course.

Animatone:

With the Kaine Pendant of course!

Grimbold Blackhammer:

Animatone
What is a "Kaine Pendant"? Do you mean the Pendant of Khaleth?

eudaimon:

Its settled then.

We Flames of Azgorh it to hell.

burock:

Its settled then.

We Flames of Azgorh it to hell.

eudaimon
unless it scatters ofc...

Animatone:

Animatone
What is a "Kaine Pendant"?  Do you mean the Pendant of Khaleth?

Grimbold Blackhammer
Yep.. sorry

Animatone:

So worst comes to worst Carmine Dragon would work.

Breath weapon is like BOH, D3 auto wounds, no armor saves. No strength means no save! Still 305pts is a bit much to spend to bring him down, but either way it would work with little to no effort. Just fly the dragon in and hit the elf with the breath weapon and he’ll go down. That is if they don’t take out the dragon first, but T6 and W6 with a 2+ save should hold up fairly well long enough to take out the Dreadlord.

And then you’d still have a dragon flying around to kick a little elf butt… Hopefully.