[Archive] Decent Hobgoblin Alternatives

gIL^:

http://www.thebattleforge.co.uk/hobgoblin-warriors-with-hand-weapon-and-shield-x3-pack-a-2586-p.asp

Quite nice, If they were cheaper i would of bought a ton of them, I still might but not many sadly. Just for that guy of the left expression, Now that expression is disdain and hate whatever he’s fighting must be elfy.

I love the Battleforges stuff, But never dived in.

Sticklander:

If it wasn’t for the clubs, I’d say they’re a pretty spot on copy of GW’s Hob Gobbos! Not that I mind, I do like them. They do look a little chunky, but we beggars cannot be chosers.

Nicodemus:

Thank for th heads-up on these! You’re right though, a real shame about the price, oherwise I’d love o have a bunch. They should consider who their market could be… Not the guys like me that already have 100s of hobgoblins, but all of the players who want to have hobbos but don’t have the models because large numbers of models are required to be fielded and they’re too pricey on a per model basis.

Maybe if we could approach battleforge with a group buy offer, where a bunch of us from here agree to buy X number of models (say 20 for a unit) and once we have an idea of total numbers we ask what kind of deal they could do for a volume order. For each member individually to buy enough for a unit you’d be at £73.5 for 21 models, but for 10 members at 20 models each this would come to £700. If they could bring the price down to £2.5 per model the order of 200 would only be £500, or £50 each for 20 hobbos. Still really pricey, but it might help anyone on the fence who is put off by the £70+ price as-is.

gIL^:

Thank for th heads-up on these!  You're right though, a real shame about the price, oherwise I'd love o have a bunch. They should consider who their market could be.... Not the guys like me that already have 100s of hobgoblins, but all of the players who want to have hobbos but don't have the models because large numbers of models are required to be fielded and they're too pricey on a per model basis.

Nicodemus
Yes i see this alot from smaller miniature makers. Now there is nothing wrong with setting your prices at what you think it's worth. You also have to evaluate the cost they are to cast but also the value of what the model is which in this case is a hobgoblin, Lets not beat around the bush these sculpts are for warhammer players looking for Hobgoblins and because hobgoblin are a low point cost in the game the value of the model is considerably less than say Infernal Guard.

So lets do some maths. In order to have a unit of 40 hobgoblins which is the average number, Naked with a command group it would come to 182 points in Tamurkhan but you have to spend £147.

He will not sell any to gamers sadly. Maybe collectors.

If Battleforge read this. Price them the same as your Halflings or a little bit higher, Sculpt a command group and bowman and you will sell many.

Yodrin:

I think they looked ok though…

Fuggit Khan:

If it wasn't for the clubs, I'd say they're a pretty spot on copy of GW's Hob Gobbos!

Sticklander
Yep, they're clearly ripped off from the vintage GW models...the same hoods, same torn ragged clothes, the long hair and the over sized feet. Even the poses are copied, especially the Hobbo in the middle...I wonder how long before the GW lawyers cry foul and send out their Great Host led by special character 'Lawyer Vindictive Imperialis' to wage war against the Battleforge heretics.

snowblizz:

Yep, they're clearly ripped off from the vintage GW models...the same hoods, same torn ragged clothes, the long hair and the over sized feet. Even the poses are copied, especially the Hobbo in the middle...

Fuggit Khan
Funnily enough that's the only one of those I like, for that specific reason I wager.
The other two models seem off in pose and sculpting.

Chico:

Only the one in the middle looks good, the other 2 are naff and far too expensive for low quality

Sticklander:

If it wasn't for the clubs, I'd say they're a pretty spot on copy of GW's Hob Gobbos!

Sticklander
Yep, they're clearly ripped off from the vintage GW models...the same hoods, same torn ragged clothes, the long hair and the over sized feet. Even the poses are copied, especially the Hobbo in the middle...I wonder how long before the GW lawyers cry foul and send out their Great Host led by special character 'Lawyer Vindictive Imperialis' to wage war against the Battleforge heretics.

Fuggit Khan
What frustrates me the most about GW calling foul of Chaos Dwarf/Hobgoblin-esque miniatures being moulded and sold by others, is that they don't make any use of their copy-righted material by, y'know, releasing an official Chaos Dwarf army and army book. If they re-released a big hat-esque army again, they're individuality (and devilish charms) would be more than enough to draw more players in.

Alas, I'm sure GW would rather play it safe, and release some more space marines..

Thommy H:

If they re-released a big hat-esque army again, they're individuality (and devilish charms) would be more than enough to draw more players in.
It didn't work the first time.

And they protect their IP even when they're not using it because...well, why wouldn't they? It's theirs, and as long as they're seen to defend it, it will continue to be, so they might as well in case they decide to use it one day. They have nothing to lose by doing it, in other words.

Abecedar:

I’m not that bothered about them at all. Maybe its because they are so much like GW oldies

Willmark:

They look pretty spot on. If I didn’t have a billion hobnobs I’d buy them.