[Archive] Demonsmith weapons

Bassman:

Just a quick question:

Sorcerer prophets have Darkforged weapons (this is preatty clear)

but in Demonsmiths’ entry is clearly stated they have Ensorcelled Hand Weapon!

What weapon do the Demonsmiths use?

The Ensorcelled weapon description states only ironswords use them but in the Demonsmith entry is clearly stated “Ensorcelled Weapon”

Anybody can clarify?

Sorry if it was asked before…

khedyarl:

To confuse things even more, the Darkforged weapons continuously reference “Daemonsmiths”.

I’ve been playing it as a typo, and discussing it with opponents beforehand. I could be doing it incorrectly, however, as I don’t have any real strong footing for doing so aside from, “feels right.”

Time of Madness:

Yes,

It was one of the “big” questions in the FAQ that we put together and sent off to Forge World. I’m hoping it was just a typo as it would make more sense for him to have the darkforged weapon.

Time of Madness

Stiopa:

I just checked in Army Builder. Ensorcelled Hand Weapon it is.

Bassman:

I just checked in Army Builder. Ensorcelled Hand Weapon it is.

Stiopa
This is the problem. I do use Ensorcelled weapons rules despite every descritption clearly state Dark Forged weapons for Demonsmiths.... but the entry in the Army list clearly states: Ensorcelled Hand Weapon :-(

Grim_beard:

I seem to remember somewhere that Forgeworld had replied to this (possibly on their facebook page) confirming that only the Sorcerer-Prophet has the darkforged weapon as the Daemonsmith is a ‘lower level’ sorcerer.

The reason it constantly references Daemonsmith in the entry is because the sorcerer-prophet still has the ‘daemonsmith’ rule.

Hope this helps.

zhatan87:

Other question, and I do not want to open a thread only for that (to avoid opening many threads talking about rules questions) :

About daemonsmith and the Look out sir rule :

Does the daemonsmith beneficit from a 2+ roll or a 4+ roll thanks to the rule look out sir and being “within” 3’’ of a warmachine?

Because, in France, the GW translaters use the term : “dans un rayon de” which means “near” or “close to” for the english term “within”, but “within” can also be translated in French by “à l’intérieur de” : into.

So, does it mean “into” a unit (and 2+ roll) or “near” a unit (and 4+ roll)?

Thanks for the reply.

dromar:

Simple: a charcater cannot join a warmachine crew so it’s “near”.

4+ look at sir!

Madrigal:

Simple: a character cannot join a wa rmachine crew so it's "near".
4+ look at sir!

dromar
It sadly is not quite that simple, the rule states that if they are within 3" of a war machine they make a lookout sir as though "Within a unit of 5 or more models" which would seem to imply it's a 2+...though you could argue that it's saying "within 3" of a unit of 5 or more models" but that would be twisting it a little.

KramDratta:

Guys, re the Infernal Engineer there are 2 times where the spell is explained.

Page 171:

A model with this rule, if it is within 3" of one of their army’s war machines, and not mounted on a monster, is allowed to take a “Look Out Sir!” roll as if they were within a unit of five or more models.
Page 187:

A model with this rule, if it is within 3" of one of their army’s war machines an not mounted on a monster, is allowed to take a “Look Out Sir!” roll as if they were in a unit of five or more models.
As you can see, both descriptions differ from each other, as to wheter it is a 4+ or a 2+ roll.

Thommy H:

It’s 2+. I expect this is a translation issue, but as a native English speaker, there is no contradiction in that wording. You treat the model like it’s part of the unit (i.e. “in” the unit, which means the same as being “within” it when no distance is specified) for the purposes of “Look Out, Sir!”

cornixt:

As Thommy says, “in” and “within” mean the same thing in English. GW tends to use “within” when refering to a distance range such as ‘within 5" of the unit’, but ‘within a unit’ will always mean inside the unit itself.

KramDratta:

As Thommy says, "in" and "within" mean the same thing in English. GW tends to use "within" when refering to a distance range such as 'within 5" of the unit', but 'within a unit' will always mean inside the unit itself.

cornixt
Ahhh .. good to know. Sorry but English is not my first language & I thought that the 'within' was used for the range.

Cheers