[Archive] Designing the units

Admiral:

Thanks, Carcearion. :cheers

As to the Hellcannon crew, there are some subtle harkening-backs to the 4th edition range. One Hellcannon crewman have lightning bolts dangling in his beard. And the Hellcannon itself have a cracked skull at the front plate, apart from the obvious beard coils of the crew.

Speaking of the Hellcannon, this is a style of Chaos Dwarfs well worth to investigate further. Baggronor has played along with it to some extent in his range, and people like Grimstonefire have produced some marvellous conversions based upon the Hellcannon look. The Hellcannon captures the Blacksmiths of Chaos theme better than any Chaos Dwarf miniature kit produced before or after, which says a lot given the many gold nuggets on both sides of the chronology. I’ve shared a quicktip to FW for them to make some new train car warmachine much in the freakish Hellcannon style to carry the wilder Daemonsmithing aspects across somewhere in their shining range (they already do some freakish Chaos-techno stuff in 40k so they’ve got the experience), because that’s an obvious thing to do given the Hellcannon’s iconic look and longlasting popularity.

Grimstonefire:

Really love the artwork here, it’s very inspirational stuff.

Makes me want to dig out the greenstuff! :wink:

t5p1ny:

You have, so far given me a lot of useful information to better flesh out my designs. There is a lot for me to consider and figure how to make the most coherent possible choices. I will not use every single design element discussed in every single piece, but I will most likely spread the elements where I see fit :slight_smile:

@Admiral Asscannon: yes, in due time :slight_smile:

I decided I’d share a rough order in which I intend to design the units in the times to come.

-Daemonforged weapon concepts

-Immortal (scenic illustration)

-Blunderbuss

-Studies on the whirlwind/tenderizer

-A hero or legendary lord (I’ll let the community decide who)

-Fleshing out and differentiation of the hobgoblin species of greenskin

This is not a static order, there might be some change along the process, but that’s roughly what my mind is set on at the moment

Carcearion:

-A hero or legendary lord (I'll let the community decide who)

t5p1ny
I'd bet my second tallest hat that if you made a forum poll Astrogoth would win by a land slide.

t5p1ny:

I’ve been browsing through some old materials, and I found something I thought to be lost. The sketch/study i did a while back for the whirlwind/tenderizer:

t5p1ny:

Here’s some of the old stuff I dug up today, sorry for the poor quality of the images.

Some are studies, others concepts, and others still, unfinished works. Hopefully you might find some of them interesting. Keep in mind that most of this predates the launch of tamurkhan, so the reference I went by at the time largely came from what this community produced and the original army book for the chaos dwarves by games workshop.

Carcearion:

Oh man I love this one:

I’d love to have him as a Lord model… hell I’d love to have this print, reminds me of the Lost Kingdoms line in all the best ways.

Have you considered submitting any of your work to the forum as Contest Prizes?

:hat off

t5p1ny:

Have you considered submitting any of your work to the forum as Contest Prizes?

Carcearion
I'll se what can be done in that regard ;)

Xander:

Very nice illustrations!

t5p1ny:

Here’s a few more drawings. Raw concepts on Weapons and a copuple more sketches. I’ll see to adding runes on the leftmost weapon next, and then maybe make a few more.

Timothy Archer:

this is really really good . i love the design of the chaos dwarf shield on the last picture .

so great

!!!

Abecedar:

Yes very nice.

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

Admiral:

Great Chaos Dwarf weapon designs! Dawi Zharr to boot, not least in their wild variety of shapes and forgings. The Daemonface weapon is a neat touch among the lot. The scenic view sketch is intriguing. It would be neat to see further illustrations of the Chaos Dwarf empire from your pen.

There is a wealth of designs among your older drawings. A great mixture of style elements, all with an original take. Thanks for sharing! This is a Chaos Dwarf gold mine.

If voting would figure for the lord illustration, then I’d probably wish for Zhargon the great from Thommy H’s army book. There’s been many other interesting CD characters as well. Astrogoth would always be a solid choice, and you of all people could do the concept justice. I’m sure many odd characters could be gleaned by reading fans’ background. I was fortunate enough to have Hunter illustrate this story - ever fancy drawing a Chaos Dwarf on fire?

Anyhow keep up the good work!

t5p1ny:

Here’s 4 more weapons I just designed. The main source of reference for this ones were the weapons on FW’s minis. This is it for weapon designs for the time being. I will now proceed to fleshing out the Immortal scenic illustration :slight_smile:

Carcearion:

Oh, I love the far right and far left axes. Very brutal looking weapons, excellent use of runes, and one on the left has a real “Daemon-Weapon” feel to it that I love.

Admiral:

Perfect. What more is there to say?

t5p1ny:

When creating what i called a “scenic illustration” it is of utmost importance to convey the nature and culture of the character being depicted. As such one can often resort to extra elements to better illustrate such nature and culture, bringing the picture to life and granting it a better storytelling capacity. This extra elements can be anything from background elements and scenery, extra characters, corpses or animals and even objects lying in the vicinity of the main character. Which leads me to a question I have been posing myself, and which I need answered to proceed with the piece I am doing at the moment: What kind of greenskin culture inhabits the Dark Lands? Are they feral orcs/greenskins, or are they a slightly more evolved kind, such as their brethren in the badlands? I realize that the Dark Lands are comprised of rather vast expanse of land, which leads me to assume there is variation in the nature of greenskin tribes. Some would likely be more “evolved” than others… Yet, taking into consideration that visually, what distinguishes these different kinds of greenskin tribes is essentially their equipment, and that is likely dependent on the resources available to them, I find myself as somewhat of a loss as to coming up with a concise kind of culture to attribute to said greenskins. I reckon greenskins get their materials mostly from scavenging from their felled foes (I might be wrong though) so, what are they fighting in the Dark Lands? If they primarily fight the Chaos Dwarves then their gear would be similar to that of the ones in the badlands. But if conflict between this two races Is not going on often enough then it would probably mean that these greenskins are most often fighting among themselves, with little contact with more developed factions, which I think would make them more feral…

What are your thoughts on this topic?

Here’s a sneak peak on what I’m working on right now.

Admiral:

Neat cruelty scene!

As to Greenskins in the Dark Lands, one would expect them to be a varied bunch indeed, with utterly feral ash nomads with stone, wood, obsidian and bone weaponry to more advanced tribes with crude rusted arms and looted equipment. And certainly a sprinkling of Black Orcs, who would remain a reminder to the Chaos Dwarfs’ of their experimental failures to breed the perfect slave race, and will instead present hard pockets of fierce resistance to any attempts at terror warfare and enslavement. The Black Orcs will furthermore be difficult to enslave and many CD slavers wouldn’t bother to try their luck most of the time when there’s a lot more of softer fish in the sea. The free Black Orc groups would also remain an ever-greater threat than common Orcs for being a potential nucleus for forming a Waaagh! around, making true military offensives against them occassionally necessary to quench the green menace in its cradle.

Independent Black Orcs in particular would probably figure as allies or mercenaries to campaigning Dawi Zharr armies at times, and obviously the security of the hated Hobgoblin lackeys will be of no concern to the callous overlords. Black Orcs’ payment for mercenary service in Chaos Dwarf hosts could consist of e.g. arms and armour, captives to eat and Hobgoblins to stomp the living daylight out of.

There would be a wild variety of different Orc and Goblin tribes on all levels, constantly clashing, conquering each other, splitting apart, getting squashed by migrant Ogres or getting caught in the iron grip of Dawi Zharr mechanized war caravans, with their tactics and armaments and psychological warfare finely tuned to counter Greenskins through millennia of predatory warfare against the Orcs and Goblins. As a rule, the Dark Lands Greenskins would harbour a deep-rooted fear of the devil dwarfs from up northeast, who would seem like islands of unbending steel and bloodthirsty cruelty and rapacious hunger for slaves amid the ever-raging sea of tribal conflict. Triumphs over Chaos Dwarf slaver expeditions would obviously be valued and boasted about and displayed in trophies and warcries, but most such temporarily succesful tribes would be primary targets for avenging expeditions not least for their heightened nascent Waaagh! value, and thus likely to succumb relatively shortly after their victory in most cases. The children of Hashut and their malignant empire would never have withstood and dominated the Greenskin-infested Dark Lands the way they have, had they not figured out working power play.

There would also be quite a lot of ash warpaint involved given the nature of the Dark Lands, and probably unusually many torches and nods to the volcanic and turbulent Dark Lands themselves. Husks, scales, furs and bones from native creatures (and even the dragon churchyard) would be common, and loot from Empire caravans to Cathay, trophies from Dawi Zharr and plunder from distant lands such as Ind and the Worlds’ Edge Mountains would pop up in a lot of places.

One would also expect some Dawi Zharr local petty potentates to arm the rivals of flourishing, growing tribes, with mass-produced lousy weaponry from their hellish workshops and industry to counter the growing threat without fighting themselves. Preferably against payment in slaves, but at other times maybe as a gift from above, as it were. Of course, eventually those metal weapons will be turned against the Blacksmitsh of Chaos themselves…

Much of the crude Orcish arms and armour seen on their miniatures could possibly have been forged in Chaos Dwarf manufactories.

There would also be especially cruel fates awaiting enslaved Orcs, since they’re harder to break while Goblins are easier to cow into cubmission.

t5p1ny:

I just Changed the colors on the Zealot Berzerker up a bit.

Admiral:

Looks good with that glow! Great movement and details.