[Archive] Disappointment or not?

Blue in VT:

Those are the same size as the old Bull Centaur ones.  So, I don't see what people are complaining about. 

Groznit Goregut
that is exactly the problem...they are the same size as the OLD Bull Centaur...the new Forge World Bull Centaurs are stupid huge...so this size model are obsolete if you play by the new rules.

That why I'm sticking with 3rd edition...before GW figured out how to suck money out of their clients pockets by randomly making key models of their armies out of date...necessitating you to buy the expensive new ones they just produced....or better yet eliminating your army altogether (like cds) just to re-release them a few years later with all new models at twice the price!

My question is...how long will the new ones last before THEY are obsolete too.

F-You GW.

End rant...

Blue

RichardC1967:

I have about 15 or so plastic chaos knight horses, I’m thinking about cutting off the torso’s and tails from these mantic things and converting my own set of BC’s, the chaos knight horses are waaay bigger than the entire mantic BC…so we’ll see what happens,maybe I’ll get started on them this weekend, cause I need to really get some stuff painted before I start ANOTHER project…

brotsorrow:

lol, some of the nay sayers in regards to size are ridiculous and make me laugh.

Is Mantic subcontracted by GW to add to the FW line of CDs or are the Mantic CDs their own line?

That’s what i thought.

The scale of the Half breeds is in accordance to the rest of the Mantic line and in my opinion look great as an independent model line.

Kera foehunter:

I can go eather way . you gt what you pay for

But they can be pimped out to look killer…

That ghetto for kick ass :slight_smile:

Mad Dave:

The metal half breed lord from mantic is a lot better then the plastic ones shown here but like already stated you get what you paid for. As for my self i might buy the new FW figures depends how much they cost but their is no way im going to part with my old BC ones im just going to re-base them when i get some spare cash.

JMR:

lol, some of the nay sayers in regards to size are ridiculous and make me laugh.
Is Mantic subcontracted by GW to add to the FW line of CDs or are the Mantic CDs their own line?
That's what i thought.
The scale of the Half breeds is in accordance to the rest of the Mantic line and in my opinion look great as an independent model line.

brotsorrow
Exactly. I don't understand what you could be disappointed about. You got what you ordered.

I don't like the look of that mold line however. I've never seen anything even close to that on their resin-plastic before. Perhaps a bad batch? You could contact Mantic about it if it bothers you enough.

Groznit Goregut:

I have had some GW things come with mold lines that bad. They just happen sometimes. My other Mantic stuff has never been that bad. I think it just happens sometimes…

As to size, I don’t think anyone can poo poo it based on it being as small as the old GW ones. I mean, they came out with them before the new Tamurkhan book was out. Well, they designed them before the book came out. So, they were meant to come out just like the old GW ones.

Personally, I’m going to take my old GW ones and rebase them. I’ll try to make the base look scenic, etc. I did it for my Mantic Rock Lobba and it came out good.

Geist:

As one of the naysaers about the models. I will say this right now, about the size its not a matter of is it stupid huge like the forge-world model. I am glad its not that big, the problem is hes not big in relation to other models in his same unit type. Look at the demi gryphon knights, they are much bigger than those rubbish models mantic made. In short great they arent huge bad that they are too small. A lil beefer a lil bigger over all and all would be fine in the world.

JMR:

(...) the problem is hes not big in relation to other models in his same unit type.  Look at the demi gryphon knights, (...)

Geist
You do realise that Mantic is a different company from GW and that they have their own table-top game with their own set of rules? Demi Gryphon Knights aren't "the same unit type" as Abyssal Dwarf Halfbreeds. They're not even part of the same game!

Don't get me wrong, it's fine if you don't like the models, but I don't understand why you're complaining about how they don't represent something that they were never meant to represent.
It's like saying Bloodletter models are rubbish because they're bad models to use as a Bloodthirster.

RichardC1967:

I guess they just look small begause they are based on the oversized 50x75 bases…they should have just left the base size alone.As for the mold lines, they aren’t really noticable on the model in hand,its just because the picture I posted is really magnified that they stand out like that

Bolg:

You do realise that Mantic is a different company from GW and that they have their own table-top game with their own set of rules?

JMR
I'm having so much fun reading this discussion (:
It's like saying Bloodletter models are rubbish because they're bad models to use as a Bloodthirster.

JMR
No even better, its like saying the Prussian Empire Metzger Class Robot is crap as its a bad bad 40K Dreathnough.

lol.

burock:

is it confirmed that they will be on 50x75 bases?

i saw the games day pictures; but never saw that they announced the base size.

Geist:

(...) the problem is hes not big in relation to other models in his same unit type.  Look at the demi gryphon knights, (...)

Geist
You do realise that Mantic is a different company from GW and that they have their own table-top game with their own set of rules? Demi Gryphon Knights aren't "the same unit type" as Abyssal Dwarf Halfbreeds. They're not even part of the same game!

Don't get me wrong, it's fine if you don't like the models, but I don't understand why you're complaining about how they don't represent something that they were never meant to represent.

JMR
You ALSO realise that the model is being used in a different system to represent something its not? Hes using a mantic model for a GW game. The scale will be wrong, most of the mantic models come out wrong size for the use of GW. I am complaning because its exactly that something being used for a purpose it was not meant for. Its as if you said "squat models are perfectly fine to use as chaos dwarfs." Same idea no where near same toy.

RichardC1967:

Geist

JMR
You ALSO realise that the model is being used in a different system to represent something its not?  Hes using a mantic model for a GW game.  The scale will be wrong, most of the mantic models come out wrong size for the use of GW.  I am complaning because its exactly that something being used for a purpose it was not meant for.  Its as if you said "squat models are perfectly fine to use as chaos dwarfs."  Same idea no where near same toy.

Geist
I don't see any rules written anywhere that say you can only use models for the particular game system they where made for, and not for any other games..if this rule exists please link it to me..

rpitts2004:

Geist

JMR
You ALSO realise that the model is being used in a different system to represent something its not?  Hes using a mantic model for a GW game.  The scale will be wrong, most of the mantic models come out wrong size for the use of GW.  I am complaning because its exactly that something being used for a purpose it was not meant for.  Its as if you said "squat models are perfectly fine to use as chaos dwarfs."  Same idea no where near same toy.

Geist
I don't see any rules written anywhere that say you can only use models for the particular game system they where made for, and not  for any other games..if this rule exists please link it to me..

RichardC1967
Only in GW stores can you only use GW products or converted for GW products (sculpts and conversions with gw stuff). Everywhere else NOT owned by GW you can glue a penny to a base and say, HEY ITS A SPACE MAHREEN!

khedyarl:

Only in GW stores can you only use GW products or converted for GW products (sculpts and conversions with gw stuff). Everywhere else NOT owned by GW you can glue a penny to a base and say, HEY ITS A SPACE MAHREEN!

rpitts2004
And in tournaments that state otherwise, but yeah. If you're playing with friends, there isn't a Games-Workshop death squad that's going to show up and break your spine.

cornixt:

It’s perfectly valid to be disappointed by something that doesn’t work as you had hoped, even if you aren’t using it for its intended purpose. The models are quite clearly similar to BCs, so it is understandable that someone would want to use them as such in their CD army. If they don’t quite fit then you have a right to be disappointed - not in the people who made it or the product itself, but in that it didn’t meet your expectations.

Gilius Thunderhead:

i’ve been lookin’ at Mantic minis for a while and after seeing the pictures in this thread i pretty much made up my mind that i don’t like 'em and will definetly not consider buy 'em;
however, i’m not a big fan of the Forge World ones either. to be completely honest i only like GW big hats stuff and are hardly impressed by any other manifacturer depiction of CDs i’ve seen around the web.

you may call me a fanatic but bull centaurs are one of the main reasons for my fascination with CDs and i could’t help feeling disappointed if something of this sort was sold to me.

ofcourse the disappointement would only be in myself for giving in to the temptation of actually buying 'em! x.x

RichardC1967:

I’m in the process of making them better…I’ll post pictures soon…watch th video and substitute “Bull Centaurs” for “Steve Austin”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdM64zekOAk

Larendard:

The mantic models are all a little on the “comedy” side - i personally like them a lot. They all look funny and weird like the old bighats.

Although i got some classic bull centaurs from gw i’ll use the mantic ones someday (when i finally find some time to start a 2nd fantasy army).