[Archive] Display Board Ideas - Need Help

Groznit Goregut:

Hello All,

So, I am going to be kicking my Chaos Dwarf army in gear and trying to get as much done as I can as soon as I can. I came two votes short of Best Painted at the last GT and I think it was because I have had my army for too long and people are tired of it. I like to do a nice display board and the last one I had even had a smoke machine for a Greenskin altar.

I am torn between what type of display board to make. It will affect the basing on my whole army and I need to think of this before I can really get to work. To make some matters worse, I have already started some minis. I had thought I would use my Goblins as Hobgoblins, but I did get some money for my Birthday and I intend to make new Hobgoblins for the army. My Goblins are painted with a desert/wasteland theme of brown. I’ve done my 3 Bull Centaurs and my Hell Cannon that way. So…if I want to change anything, I’ll have to repaint the bases. Ugh!

I will say that I don’t want to do just another black/gray terrain with lava. I don’t want to use much lava. I don’t mind the darker sand, though, as it feels more like a plain of ash. Maybe more gray? Here are some ideas I have:

1) Chaos Dwarf Facility = Maybe a ziggaraut. Maybe a factory. Maybe some little outpost. I am thinking of having cobblestone for part of it and a bunch of Chaos Dwarf buildings.

2) Middle of the Plains of Zharr = industrial wasteland. Pools of toxic waste and ruins of Chaos Dwarf stuff. I’ve actually got half a CD model that I was going to use as a statue on a ruined wall. Just make it hills and desert with industrial wastes and/or ruins. If I go this route, I can use brown sand or black/gray sand. I’ve also thought about having the Prophet digging up something from the ruins like an ancient treasure trove. That could be interesting. Maybe have a horde of Hobgoblins trying to get around a puddle of goo, as well.

3) Random Ruins in Desert = So, I could make up some random ruins in brown sand that the Chaos Dwarfs are looting. Go with the whole ancient treasure trove being uncovered and a lot of ruins around it. Pillars in rows and some fallen down. I can do interesting things in the unit like have Hobgoblins climbing over bits of ruins. The Destroyer can be smashing through a wall or something.

Now…to help show, I might need to show what I have painted to so you can see the color scheme, etc. It might help influence the decision.

THANKS!

NoisyAssassin:

I think option 2 would work best with the bases that you started. But after seeing your awesome greenskin display board I’m sure whatever you come up with with be crazy and sweet!

Groznit Goregut:

I think option 2 would work best with the bases that you started. But after seeing your awesome greenskin display board I'm sure whatever you come up with with be crazy and sweet!

NoisyAssassin
You mean this? :)

Kera foehunter:

well sweetie if it was me doing a waist land idea . I would go with a oil refinery

having tar and oil stained sand!! with a old oil pump

Nicodemus:

well sweetie  if it was me doing a waist land  idea . I would go with a oil refinery
having tar and oil stained sand!! with a old oil pump

Kera foehunter
Thumbs up/big hats off to that idea!!

If you want to make tarpits easily, use insulation form for the base of your display board and give a spot a gentle spray with some primer (not too much). It'll eat away at the foam creating some great looking depressions that you can then pour some dark grey and black paint mixed with wood glue into. Don't mix them too much before hand, just pour in the black and then apply the dark grey, swirl it around a little with a toothpick to make some sickly looking ripples, and before it dries be sure to stick a plastic tube that you've alrady made into a pipe into a spot (oh, and make sure you've alrady primed the pipe separately first as you can't prime it once the whole thing has set). Once the glue/paint mix is dry give the top a few thin layers of gloss (let it dry in between) and you'll have a slick oily-looking tar pit complete with extraction pump ready to go. .. this has been on the back-burner for a few years now for me.. if I ever get around to it I plan to have some lava flows and LEDs sticking out of the tar pits a little bit so that I can later cap them with some sculpted transparent flame effects for little spot fires... alas, if only I had the time!

~N

Abecedar:

Wasn’t it last year someone in america made a whole CD themed table for a games day with a tar pit as one of the features.  Its on here somewhere and that would be a bit of a help I think.

Da Crusha:

Wasn't it last year someone in america made a whole CD themed table for a games day with a tar pit as one of the features.  Its one here somewhere and that would be a bit of a help I think.

Abecedar
xander did it for a games day event.

Groznit Goregut:

Thanks everyone. I think I’m going to go with Option 2. I’m still thinking that I will leave the sand brown. For one, I don’t want to repaint everything. For two, it might make the models too dark. I’m really torn about this, though, as it would make the whole display board look really cool.

I do like the idea of the spray paint to make a hole. I’ve used that stuff on foam before and know it would look good. An oil refinery is also a good idea. I think I might do one refinery, one goo puddle, and then some ruins that the Prophet is unearthing some treasures. I’ll probably have to buy some Hirscht mold bricks and maybe some pillars for it. Hmmm…what’s an easy way to make a wall that has fallen down?

Groznit Goregut:

I’m thinking of having a treasure trove in the middle and do some ruins around it.  Nothing too big as I still want some waste around it.  I’m thinking of using this resin base for my Lammasu: