[Archive] DIY Shields

Abecedar:

I’ve started making shields for my 3rd Ed and 4th CD’s.
Base material is a strip of plastic louver as used in window blind 17 mm (once flattened).

First off I made a few templates, these two are the finalists for the top layer.
Next step is tracing the template onto the base material. Cut out the next top layer and glue it to the base stock.
Anyway here is the first efforts. The coffin shape is for my 3rd Ed figures and the more rectangular possibly for the 4th Ed ones.

Slavemaster Hod:

I really like how those came out, and that was ingenious to use the blinds - I’ve never thought about how perfect that material would be. As long as you don’t have a pissed wife for the missing blind piece.

Fuggit Khan:

Brilliant! I also use the good ol’ method of drilling out holes in corners of plastic, to cut out center sections. Never occurred to me to use that method on custom shields though. They’re very nice :hat off

Abecedar:

I really like how those came out, and that was ingenious to use the blinds - I've never thought about how perfect that material would be. As long as you don't have a pissed wife for the missing blind piece.

Slavemaster Hod
Thanks Hod.     I'm not that silly most days and the blinds were being thrown out so I'm safe from the wife this time around.  I struggled for ages trying to find something curved that would work and I saw the blind in a bin.

Thanks Fuggit.  Its quite time consuming  but should go faster now that I;m happy with the size and shape.  I have so much else on the boil that I don't really want to use up my home time with them so I've put all the makings and tools that I need in a small container so it can travel around with me and if I'm somewhere with some spare time I'll get a bit done.

Carcearion:

Really thrifty shields their! They look great so far :cheers

Hmmmm brining a little container of hobby supplies out and about really sounds like a brillent idea! unfortunately I don’t think I could pull it off, my lunch break is only thirty minutes and I’m often stuck in a crowded area :frowning:

Abecedar:

I take little jobs along with me most places.  This arvo I got the mold lines scrapped of 15 (15mm) WWI troopers for All Quiet on the Martian Front whilst my wife was in a doctors appointment

Admiral:

Clever idea for curved shields! Adding rivets to the shield rim would improve it further, e.g. by drilling a shallow hole and gluing a small plastic bead into it from water filters. Good shield designs and great showing from a master scratchbuilder! :hat off