[Archive] Doubles Tournaments

Alexei:

Hey guys, I didn’t see a thread like this one so I decided to start one myself.

(first of all, my CD project is 90% bought, only pending a Hellcannon. I’ll get a WIP by september I think)

I wanted to know how LoA fares when paired with other armies, as I’m going to attend a 1750 pt doubles tournament (3.500 per side total) by the end of this year and I’ll have to find a companion to go.

My army is a gunline with a lot of warmachines, hobgoblin archers and Hashut control magic (Ash storm is so great)

Have any of you experiences in pairing the LoA list w ith other armies? if so, could I get any tips on this? my first option is a friend who plays Lizardmen, but as they “will” be updated next month, I don’t know what will he be able to bring. Could we get some healthy discussion as to how best to pair CDs?

(I wish I could get a local Dark Elf player and go full enslavers)

Flying TrollPrince with Khaeleth pendant, 2x Hydras, Executioners and some Shadow magic so he could control Magic and CC. I’d take Shooting (more than you can imagine)

A related doubt… how does it feel to get 3 Magma cannons shots on an Ironguts+Lord+BSB unit with Ash storm cast on? :mad

Fuggit Khan:

My army is a gunline with a lot of warmachines, hobgoblin archers and Hashut control magic (Ash storm is so great)

Alexei
Me and my friends love to play team matches with allies...so based on your army being a "gunline" I would suggest you team up with someone who is the opposite. Two 'elite' armies playing together will lend you too few units to deploy and you'll likely get outmaneuvered and swarmed. I find that the toughest challenge for a CD army is that they're points starved, and with only 1750 pts you'll be painfully aware of that. Let your ally flesh out your team with plenty of cheap core units. Secondly, playing with 1750 pts limits your hero choice down...which means likely you'll have a lower level sorceror with no guarantee of getting Ash Storm. Keep that in mind if you're banking on Ash Storm to carry your magic phase. I would suggest lore of Metal instead of Hashut for a smaller force of 1750 pts, Metal seems to be a bit more balanced for lower level casting...but that's just my opinion :cheers

BABIS:

Alexei
Me and my friends love to play team matches with allies...so based on your army being a "gunline" I would suggest you team up with someone who is the opposite. Two 'elite' armies playing together will lend you too few units to deploy and you'll likely get outmaneuvered and swarmed. I find that the toughest challenge for a CD army is that they're points starved, and with only 1750 pts you'll be painfully aware of that. Let your ally flesh out your team with plenty of cheap core units. Secondly, playing with 1750 pts limits your hero choice down...which means likely you'll have a lower level sorceror with no guarantee of getting Ash Storm. Keep that in mind if you're banking on Ash Storm to carry your magic phase. I would suggest lore of Metal instead of Hashut for a smaller force of 1750 pts, Metal seems to be a bit more balanced for lower level casting...but that's just my opinion :cheers

Fuggit Khan
..or the lore of death :mask spirit leech is better than the #0 of hashut...

Grimbold Blackhammer:

Like you, I LOVE team games! Chaos Dwarfs excel at not advancing/castling up, laying down templates, and monster-hunting. What we do not excel at is rushing forwards, the magic phase (we’re average at best), and redirecting. With that in mind, I’d say Deamons of Chaos, Ogre Kingdoms, Brettonians, Wood Elves, or Warriors of Chaos would be excellent partners. I wouldn’t say no to Dark Elves or Skaven either though they’d be my second choices.

Equally important is someone who shares your play style and can work with you. I hope you can find both =) Let us know how it goes!!

Fuggit Khan:

Like you, I LOVE team games!

Grimbold Blackhammer
Yep, team games are awesome, I play them at any chance I can. I think my favorite combo is a CD army teamed up with an O/G army made up solely of savage orcs and hordes of squig herders (essentially an O/G army immune to psychology and made for charging into the midst of it all).

gashnag:

Is it the teams tourney at Giga Bites

Alexei:

Alexei

Fuggit Khan
To be honest I was thinking on teaming a gunline Dwarf army and making our opponents think they are playing 40k. At 2500 I use Ash Storm to carry my army by making the enemy deathstar unable to charge me until turn 4-5 if possible (usually through multiple miscasts. My poor Prophet turns to stone all the time). Never tried lower than 2000, hence me creating this thread to get some ideas and advice.
Like you, I LOVE team games! Chaos Dwarfs excel at not advancing/castling up, laying down templates, and monster-hunting. What we do not excel at is rushing forwards, the magic phase (we're average at best), and redirecting. With that in mind, I'd say Deamons of Chaos, Ogre Kingdoms, Brettonians, Wood Elves, or Warriors of Chaos would be excellent partners. I wouldn't say no to Dark Elves or Skaven either though they'd be my second choices.

Equally important is someone who shares your play style and can work with you. I hope you can find both =) Let us know how it goes!!

Grimbold Blackhammer
I have only 2 close friends who play WHFB... and to be honest, they both suck. And hard. I have tried everything, but the rules won't stick to them, and their minds block at the moment their "perfect battle plan" starts failing and won't adapt.

ClawLeader:

My good friends who play tend to do the same simple game plans every time. With no thought to deployment either so games aren’t very interesting unless I’m playing some of the others.

I like skaven or OnG as allies. Huge fun as they bring some chaff to table.

Kamoden:

I’ve discovered this topic a bit late, but I’ll play a team tournament with my chaos dwarf, at the same point lvl.

My idea will be original i think since I’ll play with a beastmen …

Main idea : rush

( i don’t decribe the full equipement, i give only the most important)

Beastmen

Doom bull, ramhorm build…bashing lord!

BSB bull with calice, dragon helm

1 shaman herdstone

Bases

many small unit of scout ungor

3 or 4 chariot to hunt enemies chaff

Special

2 or 3 unit of Harpies

7 or 8 Minotaur

Chaos Dwarf

prophet lvl 4 certainly death, magic carpet, earth rode( unsure of the name of rerolling miscat stuff), sorceress shield

sorc lvl1 , metal or fire,scroll, go dancing around herdstone

Tauruk

27 HW guard , banner+1M

6 bull centaur

1Kdaai destroyer.

Strength:

-very fast except dwarf

-lots of redirection , chaff, so I can keep control of frenzy unit

- the calice of beastmen protect me from shooting during 1 turn

-2 more power dice during magic phase with herdstone

-Ld 10 of prophet very usefull to control beast men

-Dwarf and bullcentaur are immune to panic test coming from beastmen unit ( can sacrify or flee with chaff )

-Kdaii and mino , immune to psychology

-3 big and fast unit

Weakness:

flying General, with bad protection, but with mino, kdaii destroyer and bull centaur incoming, the opponents will have to make hard choice, and the prophet is easy to hide behind house, tower, hill…

Your opinion?

( sorry for mistakes, english is not my native language)

Grimbold Blackhammer:

Who are your opponents going to be?

At 1,500 points, I don’t think you need a second caster. And since he doesn’t benefit from the Herdstone, he’ll be dancing somewhere else. I’d turn him into a BSB and tell your ally to bring a Dispel Scroll.

It’s difficult to offer more critiques than that without seeing actual lists, sorry.

Kamoden:

The lists are designed for tournament at 2x1750, so all comer list, and no scenario.

Herdstone says " each friend caster" so for me, the LvL1 dwarf will give a free dice if he is around. And a Lvl 1 caster with metal is alway useful against empire tank , KFC, Ferox, which can threat my 3 major block.

Admiral:

Team games are the best there is in Warhammer. However, you have to syncronize yourself with your ally a bit so that your armies’ and personal play styles go well together.