[Archive] Dragon Princes of Caledor with Banner of the World Dragon

Far2Casual:

Blunderbusses are useless against that Armour Save.
Fireglaives are way too expensive.

Marduk
No they aren't.

20 Blunderbuss shoot in countercharge = average of 40 shots hitting on 4s = 20 hits, wounding on 4+ rerollable = 15 wounds, with a 3+ armour save = 5 dead.

Pretty decent for a single shot in counter-charge I would say.

Serroth:

Sorry for digging out this thread but I will encounter the same unit with the banner of the world dragon.

And I have to add that the shots of the Iron Demon will be ignored as well if the demon is hellbound. Since hellbound grants magical attacks, the steam cannonade will also be effected. resulting in a 2+ ward save against it.

Same with the hellcanon, as it has the magical attacks rule, too.

So, is there really no other chance than taking a non hellbound Iron Demon or Dreadquake and Bullcentaurs?

Malorndk:

or igs with gw, razor, or blunderbuss, or fireglaviers. or a bus of 50 hobos to lock them down forever. The possibilities are endless.

ThorAxe:

Other than stalling them with ashstorm, and keeping them out of the game with redirectors, shooting or infernal guard cc is the answer. The doom mortar is pretty much the anti- this unit, as it is not magical, nails the dude in the middle, and is S5 AP to the surrounding guys, wounding them on 2s as they are elves, plus dangerous terrain tests. Given that they are elves on horses, you won’t get more than one or two shots off before they charge, unless you roll ash storm and gain an extra turn or two to deal with them.

A decent sized unit of infernal guard either horded up with great weapons, or in bus formation with sword and board with warbanner for massive static combat res help here, as neither are magical and can deal with the princes, especially after done dealing with their charge. Pinning the princes in with something tough or unbreakable like the Iron Daemon or a K’daii, though they cannot hurt them, will hold them in place long enough for the guard to counter charge them and break/destroy them. A pretty large unit of fireglaives might also work, both in aiding with shooting and putting out decent combat damage, though I find them a bit too pricy.

As a side note, I do not often fight princes with the banner, but it is somewhat funny watching a deathstar of white lions and characters smash into the K’daii expecting their 2+ ward, only for them to realize the K’daii isn’t magical.

Geist:

I have seen some interesting comments on here about how to deal with that brick, but I have also seen some mistakes.

1Hell Cannon, wont work thanks to the GW errata and its unit entry in the warriors book all of its attacks and shooting attacks are magical. So that wont work.

2Enchanted Blades of abian, wont work as well because that grants magical attacks to the unit for both shooting and hand to hand.

What can work.

The killer spells will work as there is no save allowed, so they can have a2++ save all they want but that wont help. So final trans will do just fine, in fact they hate being hit by that. The bigger the brick the better.

DreadQuake that unit, st5 Ap and the quake rule? Nasty. Blunderbuss them combined with plague of rust and transumation of lead for a -3 to armour save?

Kite them with a khan on wolf into a bad charge then counter charge with iron demon. That will eat a few guys and buy at least 2 turns even with a st6 lord in the unit.