[Archive] Dragon Princes of Caledor with Banner of the World Dragon

Marduk:

Last week I played against this unit which is almost immune to flaming attacks (2+ ward save) and immune to spells. I found there was nothing in my list to counter them.

I expect to see them again.

What do we have against these guys?

Thommy H:

Guns.

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

Marduk:

Guns.

Thommy H
Blunderbusses are useless against that Armour Save.
Fireglaives are way too expensive.

Marduk:

Last week I played against this unit which is almost immune to flaming attacks (2+ ward save) and immune to spells. I found there was nothing in my list to counter them.

I expect to see them again.

What do we have against these guys?

Samanos:

Iron demon and bull centaurs should do the job.

thats why you also have to have lore of death with CD imo. there is always that unit/character with 2+ ward against flaming.

Thommy H:

I meant big guns: war machines. They aren’t immune to cannons and rockets, are they?

Samanos:

they are practically immune to magma cannon.

dont remember if the dreadquake has flaming.if yes same with magma. if not then same with hellcannon

hellcannon should kill some of them, but i would prefer to use that template elsewhere.

deathshrieker will not kill them.

Thommy H:

Magma Cannon and the Deathshrieker’s incendiary whatevers are the only war machines with Flaming Attacks. Dreadquake and Hellcannon both hit at Strength 5 - Dragon Princes are T3. I like those odds, personally.

Samanos:

hmm id still go with an iron demon/centaurs instead of using the template.

Thommy H:

Yeah, that would work too. “Guns” just seemed an obvious answer, since it’s kind of what Chaos Dwarfs are all about. The OP’s question seemed to presuppose that magic and the Destroyer/Magma Cannon were the only things available.

Marduk:

So far:

1. Shoot them: Hellcannon and Dreadquake mortars.

2. Fight them: Bull Centaurs.

Are the bull centaurs strong enough for Dragon Princes with General and Battle Standard in the unit? Perhaps not, so I would probably have to weaken them down first with either hellcannon or dreadquake mortar and then hit them with bull centaurs. Hopefully they will survive the dragon princes’ round of combat and have enough to hit back.

Any other advice?

Marduk:

The OP's question seemed to presuppose that magic and the Destroyer/Magma Cannon were the only things available.

Thommy H
My list had the things you mention plus rockets and units of infantry without guns. This opponent showed me that there could be strong units which were almost immune to flaming attacks. My question was about getting advice to remove one thing from my list and adding something that can hurt these kind of units before they hit my line.

Grimbold Blackhammer:

I think you’d do well by adding an Iron Demon.  With an artillary dice full of shots per turn, you can expect to drop a knight or two every round minimum.  And a decent set of impact hits to finish him off/tie him up for the rest of the game when needed.

Grimbold Blackhammer

Samanos:

Are the bull centaurs strong enough for Dragon Princes with General and Battle Standard in the unit? Perhaps not, so I would probably have to weaken them down first with either hellcannon or dreadquake mortar and then hit them with bull centaurs. Hopefully they will survive the dragon princes' round of combat and have enough to hit back.

Any other advice?

Marduk
wait did he used a deathstar?
how big was the unit?
from your first post i supposed tehy were a small unit.
iron demon is definitel the way to go for large units.

Marduk:

Are the bull centaurs strong enough for Dragon Princes with General and Battle Standard in the unit? Perhaps not, so I would probably have to weaken them down first with either hellcannon or dreadquake mortar and then hit them with bull centaurs. Hopefully they will survive the dragon princes' round of combat and have enough to hit back.

Any other advice?

Marduk
wait did he used a deathstar?
how big was the unit?
from your first post i supposed tehy were a small unit.
iron demon is definitel the way to go for large units.

Samanos
The unit was 6 knights plus General and BSB, eight miniatures in total but they will attack first and repeat to hit, probably +2 Str since they are likely to charge because of their Move rate.

What about the iron daemon against this size of unit?

Also, while we are talking about the iron daemon, does it deploy at the same time as the warmachines? It is a "Unique unit" troop type, so I hope it does not.

Marduk:

I think you'd do well by adding an Iron Demon.  With an artillary dice full of shots per turn, you can expect to drop a knight or two every round minimum.  And a decent set of impact hits to finish him off/tie him up for the rest of the game when needed.

Grimbold Blackhammer

Grimbold Blackhammer
In addition, the Iron Daemon looks scary so there might be a psichological factor there.

Samanos:

its a unique unit so on its own.

i think that the iron demon should be fine, hes gonna wound you at 5s and you have many wounds.

keep in mind that after the first turn you will have the advantage.

however try to charge him so you can rip him apart with the impacts and before that soft him up a bit with the cannonade.

Baggronor:

IG horde with Razor Standard. It’s 3s to wound them and they get a 4+ save, they won’t last long, you just need to weather the charge and then they’re screwed. Of course, they’ll avoid the IG, but that’s another matter :slight_smile:

BCs. With great weapons and a Tau’ruk.

Blunderbusses with Enchanted Blades of Aiban? Armour-piercing should drop a few.

As they are M9, you’ll have to be pretty cunning to charge them with an ID… the Cannonades should kill a few though.

Massed archers?

Erm…

Take a Lamassu and hope he rolls up Mindrazor? :wink:

maded12:

Make sure you deploy a block of infantery right in front of them. Stick a hero in that block to make them stubborn and beat the crap out of them.

Dragon princes are overpriced elfs who are not even worth your cannon shots. Nothing more, nothing less.

Of course when in doubt just use BC with GW those guys will take care of them.

KramDratta:

The unit was 6 knights plus General and BSB, eight miniatures in total but they will attack first and repeat to hit, probably +2 Str since they are likely to charge because of their Move rate.

Marduk
Turn 1. Aim Death Shrieket S8 hit @ BSB (tip: it is not Flamining). Either he fails his LOS & you get rid of the BSB (D6 Wounds) or else he gets the LOS & a Dragon Prince bites the dust.

Turn 2. If the unit has a champion, the BSB now can't do a Look Out Sir. If he has, repeat in Turn 3 :)