[Archive] Dumb question - GW Materials

Roark:

Hey guys,

I’ve been out of the loop with regard to GW minis for some time. I kinda disengaged from GW quite a while back, when prices rose and the whole FineCast thing happened.

My dumb question is, what exactly is this guy made of?:

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Great-Taurus

This is a resin mini, but I also heard that GW largely ditched FineCast. So is he FineCast, or some other resin? If the latter, can I expect any of the problems which were inherent in the former?

Thanks very much.

gIL^:

Yea it’s Finecast. But the process is much better now.

Geist:

Yah know the part that is odd about the entire fine cast thing? It was only the first releases that were messed up, and while thst was massively bad on their end, it actually was a very limited number of messed up models. Limited in reaction to numbers of models produced overall.

Roark:

So the new ones don’t droop over time?

Geist:

Drooping is either a flaw in the resin, which its resin so to expect that never to happen is foolish, or a miscast finally,exposed to heat. The plain and simple fact is any material will have a chance to droop. Show me a material used to make minis that is 100% perfect every single time. I will call you a liar, as there is no such material.

Roark:

I find white metal to be pretty non-droopy. :wink:

Thanks for the advice and insight, and for your time!

Geist:

White metal the same stuff ral parth uses to make there minis with?

Find a white model mini with a whip lashing out, and see if they are all firm and none droopy.

Point is any model with a thin part will droop.

Roark:

Photobucket

Well I’ve owned this guy (Infinity Anethematic) for quite a while, and there been no movement of his tentacles due to gravity. He’s metal BTW.

The droopiness I’m referring to is the slow movement/settling over time due to gravity that some people reported with their finecast minis just sitting on the shelf (wings and stuff).

Now I’ve never had this happen with ANY of my minis - resin, plastic or metal. The guy above is just the most extreme example of “outstretched” thin parts among my collection.

I guess I just wanted to avoid the aforementioned droopiness if I was to buy from GW again. From what you’re saying, it would be a flaw in the material, rather than uniformly “poor” material.

Thanks again.

Loidrial:

I bought the Lammasu and Taurus from the site few months ago, I was surprise in see that were no bubbles, no holes or imperfections if not literally one small one on a hoof, you couldnt even see it.

I think for once GW learned from their mistakes and fixed the problem with the FailCast.

I was only worried about the wings, still afraid they will break, but if that will happen is because I dropped it or something.

Cover the junctions with some gs and it is done

You can see my Lammassu painted and everything here: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=15435&pid=252516#pid252516

Bloodbeard:

Despite what Geist and Loidrial says - the Finecast is crap! Always was and still is. Really bad material.

I have put a single finecast miniature - an ogre tyrant. He exploded while standing in direct sun light. He fell into 7 different pieces and started to crack in more places. Also got a Finecast Hellcannon once. I ended up getting my money back for that, completely impossible to put together.

My friend at GW Copenhagen has a lot of random finecast miniatures in his collection that was discarded. Every single day they throw out finecast miniatures people bring back with airbubbles or completely warped. It’s not uncommon for costumers to bring back their miniatures a second time.

GW tried to sell Finecast with the “heat under water and you can bend it” as a strength for the material and converters. Fact is that the are selling a product, where they expect people have to sit down and fix it - before they can even assemble their miniature. And when they sold their super large limited Smaug, a part of the advertisement was “same quality resin as Forge World” - not finecast.

Either find a taurus from another company, a taurus from Forge World or pay the extra bucks and get an old one in metal. I

Like Loidrial says the wings are critical. So at least get a hold of some old metal or plastic wings from another beast.

Bitterman:

Despite what Geist and Loidrial says - the Finecast is crap! Always was and still is. Really bad material.

Bloodbeard
Agreed. Finecast simply is not fit for purpose, it's a completely unsuitable material for miniature soldiers. Claims that only the early batches were affected by its fundamental flaws may charitably be described as "wishful thinking".

Loidrial:

Bloodbeard
I know, I wasnt happy about it either, but that or nothing, the original lammasu n taurus were too expensive, plus all with metal, that block is 1kg itself x_x

Still plastic over everything, but metal as second, even if it is annoying to paint.

Fuggit Khan:

Bloodbeard
Yep, Finecast is awful. Resins are not solid materials, they are actually minutely porous and as such are subject to the whims of heat, humidity, etc.
Even higher quality resins can still be flawed due to poor mixing, air quality at time of mixing and the fact that resins have various resin acids inherent to them, such as benzoic acid which over time will soften the resin, causing it to warp.
Show me a material used to make minis that is 100% perfect every single time.  I will call you a liar, as there is no such material.

Geist
No such material? That's an awfully broad statement. How about these ivory gaming pieces?
12th century walrus ivory Lewis Chessmen

and Old Kingdom 2600 BC Ancient Egyptian senet game with ivory jackals...they've held up pretty well despite being 4600 years old

Skink:

I second Bloodbeard as well! I’ve seen a lot of finecast models literally bend under their own weight :o!!! And they were even kept inside closets, protected from sunlight and the rage of the elements.

Also, Fuggit, whether I appreciate your passion, I reckon that Geist was talking about modern materials employed in miniature making ;). Boy, can you imagine the price tag of an army entirely made of ivory? Truly a game for pharaons x.x.

And anyway, resin miniatures can be of superior quality. Take Raging Heroes for instance. No bubbles. No warping. No mould lines. Well rendered intricate details. Easily the best minis I ever painted.

gIL^:

Bloodbeard
Yep, Finecast is awful. Resins are not solid materials, they are actually minutely porous and as such are subject to the whims of heat, humidity, etc.
Even higher quality resins can still be flawed due to poor mixing, air quality at time of mixing and the fact that resins have various resin acids inherent to them, such as benzoic acid which over time will soften the resin, causing it to warp.
Show me a material used to make minis that is 100% perfect every single time.  I will call you a liar, as there is no such material.

Geist
No such material? That's an awfully broad statement. How about these ivory gaming pieces?
12th century walrus ivory Lewis Chessmen

and Old Kingdom 2600 BC Ancient Egyptian senet game with ivory jackals...they've held up pretty well despite being 4600 years old

Fuggit Khan
To be fair though They are all individually sculpted and also made from elephant.

Through fears of being lynched, I have a finecast Lammasu, I dropped him once and he bounced and didn't scratch, If it were metal it would of exploded and likely needed another paint job.

Don't get me wrong finecast material is still meh but the process has improved and does have advantages.

Helblindi:

Finecast or not, that old Taurus and Lammasu are butt-ugly models imho. I’d rather get a plastic chimera and start converting from there. Or buy from Forgeworld or whatever company that sells that shedu head.

Roark:

I’m doing a Manticore + Shedu for the Lamassu. I agree that the GW Lamassa is pretty goofy. I don’t have any issues with the Great Taurus though, and I’m happy to have a physical size distinction between it and a Bale Taurus.

Roark:

Having said that, the GW Chimera is astoundingly awkward and ugly, dude!

gIL^:

That’s the point the GW Lammasu is goofy, It looks like it needs a pipe. It’s one model that no matter what comes out will always be special  to me.