[Archive] Dwarfs and Beasts of the greyland

Furious241:

Hi - here I am, somewhat new to evil dwarfs, coming from a 1990s Warhammer background and remembering the tall hats dissolving around the turn of the century (if my memory is correct).

I’m an AoS player now, having gotten back into Fantasy about six months before it was recreated. I’m moving away from my Greenskinz army for now, and have chosen CDs because the FW infantry models and warmachines are so super cool - even though they don’t all have tall hats.

I want to introduce myself and show off a couple of test models - an Ironsworn and and Iron Daemon. My army is a combination Legion of Azgorh/Brayherds of Chaos. You see, the silly Dwarfs think that they goatmen are spawn/avatars/servants of their goat-faced lord of Chaos. So the dwarfs treat them nicely and respectfully include the goats in their battles, despite how horrible the goats smell. Silly dwarfs.

Hello everyone.

Abecedar:

Welcome Furious… and I say Go for it. Goat / beasts instead of Hobgoblins. I’m interested in how its going to come along.

Grimbold Blackhammer:

That’s the great thing about this - it’s your army so you can do what you want with it!

Pappa Midnight:

I like the idea of alternative slave races fighting in a CD army. Why waste that precious Dawi Zharr blood when lesser races can soak up the brunt of an enemy’s attack!

PM

Carcearion:

Beastmen being my next army I will probably also be allieing my Dawi Zhar with them on the battle field one of these days. I have put allot of thought into how they might cooperate lore wise, their is actually a really great story here on the site about how both Minotaurs and Bullcentaurs where both made by Hashut here. It’s really very good.

Beastmen would in general I think would make for poor allies and probably not much better as slaves either, certainly not unbreakable as slaves (and probably not awful as something to just unleash at the enemy) but their is a chaotic chaosy chaos deep in the bones of beastmen (their so chaos they can’t even create things, and instinctively hate and destroy anything so civilized as stacking stones into useful shapes) it would only be a matter of time before they turned on you and they had to be put down. But then again the same could be said of any alliance of dark forces.

Abecedar:

Beastmen .............. it would only be a matter of time before they turned on you and they had to be put down.

Carcearion
And we trust Hobgoblins?

Darkmeer:

Beastmen .............. it would only be a matter of time before they turned on you and they had to be put down.

Carcearion
And we trust Hobgoblins?

Abecedar
:hat Trust? What is this trust of which you speak? You'll be giving the Hobs an idea or three if you keep up talk like that!

Furious241:

Hah, yeah, there’s nothing like letting a goatman shit where he pleases only to have him take a rather large axe and start lopping off heads of your pals.

Abecedar:

Nice Gargoyles. Red very much suits them.

Where are they from?

Murkwood

Carcearion
And we trust Hobgoblins?

Abecedar
:hat Trust? What is this trust of which you speak? You'll be giving the Hobs an idea or three if you keep up talk like that!

Darkmeer
Sorry I let an underling write that post. I've only just now finished whipping that word out of his vocabulary...literally

Furious241:

Here’s an update: 20 Ironsworn and their Castellan:

Zanthrax:

Looking great bro

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

Abecedar:

They are coming along quite nicely.

Admiral:

Nice progress! Solid colour scheme. It’d probably work well for a CD Blood Bowl team, too.

Carcearion:

Great progress on the collection!

If I might suggest, I think if you tried out a wash on these guys you could bring out allot of depth and the detail of the models (although you might find yourself wanting to highlight afterwards with your original colors).

Furious241:

Thanks gang - more coming soonish, working on the Bestigors right now.

If I might suggest, I think if you tried out a wash on these guys you could bring out allot of depth and the detail of the models (although you might find yourself wanting to highlight afterwards with your original colors).

Carcearion
I do put a wash on them! I base coat, Nuin Oil and then drybrush. I like the grimey, oily look it gives them. Maybe it doesn’t come across as well in photos…

Helblindi:

It does show in most of the colors, but I feel the white is too bright and clean, and I think that’s what Carcearion was looking at when he mentioned the washes. I’d suggest a thin layer of brown wash, with white highlights afterwards. Looking good otherwise! Nice color scheme!

Furious241:

Ah yes, the white… I’m a little regretful of that choice. I love the way it looks - specifically, the bright, cleanliness of it and how it contrasts well with the rest of the paint - but I’ve been having such a difficult time with painting it, avoiding using any washes on it to get as smooth of a colour as I can. I’ll do some testing with a brown wash and go over it again with white… thanks for the input!

Fuggit Khan:

I actually really like the white…I’m a big fan of white as a contrast color to reds and blacks. This paint scheme grabs my attention and would make me walk across the room at the local game store to get a better look.

But hey, they’re your models and paint 'em up as you like.

Plus, I’m a Hobgoblin, and my opinions are sneaky and not to be trusted :h

Either way, I’m sending you some slaves for the nice paintwork

:hat off

Furious241:

Hey, thanks! I actually dig the contrast of it too - dirty everywhere, but keep the white clean.

I don’t know what slaves are in this context, but I’m sure it’s good?

Here are some pesky Bestigors.

The Dwarfs of the greylands found these beasts of men and (wrongfully) assumed they were a gift of their god - spawn of Hashut himself. So what do they do? They adorn these shit-stained beasts with their best armours and specially crafted weaponry, and take them in as royalty.

The upper caste of Dwarfs have slowly realized that these are just horrendously disgusting monsters, but the warrior caste are inspired by their presence (feeling that they’ve been blessed by their god).

So they use them, for better or worse.

I like the idea of an army inspired by filthy beasts, while the leaders lose grasp of their own warriors, having to put up with filthy and difficult to control goat men, simply because of a populous reaction.

Furious241:

I finally finished my war machines and crew - pics to come. But here are some bull centaurs I’ve been working on. It’s been a lot of fun to put these guys together, I’m looking forward to painting them.