[Archive] Earthshaker Size

Ben Saunders:

I believe that we’re officially allowed to use the old Earthshaker cannons as Dreadquake mortars (without the iron carriage). I don’t have any of these old models, but was considering a scratchbuild/conversion in that style.

Can anyone tell me the dimensions of the old Earthshaker? I’ve seen the Earthshaker on a square base, but not sure if it was a 40mm or 50mm one. How does it compare to the current (plastic) Empire mortar? It’s larger I assume, but how much so? How tall is it?

Abecedar:

Check out the showcase section.

http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=14811

Post No7 is the 4th Ed’ Earthshaker on a 40mm base. Edit: Sorry its a 50mm base
As you can see the top of its barrel is about level with tip of the crewmans hat. About 35mm

Ben Saunders:

Thanks. I had been looking at a bunch of pictures, including the showcase, but hadn’t been sure of the base size. Looking again at the one you point to (#7), I realise what may have confused me - I may have assumed that the two crew carrying the shell were on a cavalry base, but it looks like they’re just on 20mm bases joined together.

Also, having spent ages looking at pictures of assembled models online, just after posting this I realised the old 5th edition army book has all the parts on the catalogue pages at the back. Those are (roughly) actual size aren’t they?

Abecedar:

Not sure about the catalog.

I just went up to the shed and measured mine. The cannon looks like it would actually be on a 50mm base.

The top of the crewmans hat is 35mm high, but the angle of my cannon put the top edge of the barrel at 45mm.

The two shell carrying crewman are on 20mm bases and when carrying the shell carriage measure 48mm in length

Geist:

lets make it simple. Crew do not matter. Shove it on a 50mm call it done and when some one shoots at it or attacks it remember to let em know warmachines have no bases its just there to make it look good and help make it standardized.

Ben Saunders:

Shove it on a 50mm call it done and when some one shoots at it or attacks it remember to let em know warmachines have no bases its just there to make it look good and help make it standardized.

Geist
I think you missed my point. I'm not asking what base size I should use. What I want to know is how big the actual machine should be. An easy way to get an idea of its size is seeing how it fills a base - but I'd need to know what size base it is that it's filling.
Not sure about the catalog.
I just went up to the shed and measured mine. The cannon looks like it would actually be on a 50mm base.
The top of the crewmans hat is 35mm high, but the angle of my cannon put the top edge of the barrel at 45mm.
The two shell carrying crewman are on 20mm bases and when carrying the shell carriage measure 48mm in length

Abecedar
Thanks! Though I managed to dig out my catalogue. Measuring a 20mm base against the crew, it looks like the loaders are indeed about actual size (though the other guy is slightly larger).

Comparing the barrel of the empire mortar to that of the Earthshaker, the empire one is slightly shorter (but not so much it would be a real problem with something on the end), but only a little over half as wide. It does look like it would take the shell those crew are carrying though.

torn:

Im pretty sure those old catalogues are actual size. are the chaos dwarfs in the black one or green one? takes me back to my school days lol.

If i can remember (as i sold my big hat stuff) the barrel is about 50mm long and 25 to 30mm diameter. Bigger is probably better.

Fuggit Khan:

I believe that we're officially allowed to use the old Earthshaker cannons as Dreadquake mortars (without the iron carriage).

Ben Saunders
You're correct, we are allowed to use the original Earthshaker model, it's an official GW Chaos Dwarf model
How does it compare to the current (plastic) Empire mortar? It's larger I assume, but how much so? How tall is it?

Ben Saunders
Hopefully these pictures will help in comparison to the plastic Empire mortar...the Earthshaker barrel is considerably bigger, even the shell is almost the same size as the mortar barrel (sorry, I sawed off the swivel mounts on the mortar for bits, but you can still see the size overall)

Hope this helps :hat off

Bloodbeard:

FW has stated that their dreadquake mortar should go on a 50*200 mm base. That’ll be the base size for my scratch build one. But warmachines doesn’t need bases. Stick it on whatever you feel looks right.

Abecedar:

considering the physical size of the dreadquake, it really suffers from being one of the biggest targets in the game. using an earthshaker as one is definitely to our advantage.

I still intend to build one though.

Ben Saunders:

Thanks Fuggit Khan. Seeing the size difference there does make me think that this idea probably won’t work.

What’s the green thing I see in your Earthshaker barrel? Is there a hobgoblin in there?

Abecedar:

Yep. I believe its the Hobgobs nose.

furrie:

Thanks Fuggit Khan. Seeing the size difference there does make me think that this idea probably won't work.

What's the green thing I see in your Earthshaker barrel? Is there a hobgoblin in there?

Ben Saunders
yes it is, you can see it in his blog