[Archive] Easterlings and Dragon Knights

Hashut’s Blessing:

Hey all. I bought the Shadows in the East book, hoping that it might have the rules for Easterling Dragon Knights in it and mayhaps their siege bow thing, but alas it didn;t. I’m wondering if it’s in the Harad soucrebook, a different sourcebook or just the newest version of the rules manual. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks…

Border Reiver:

Sorry mate, Dragon knights and the seige bow do not have official rules yet - or models

Ishkur Cinderhat:

If there are no rules and no models, where do they come from, then? A background story?

Pyro Stick:

If there are no rules and no models, where do they come from, then? A background story?

Ishkur Cinderhat
Well thats where most of the stuff in the lotr range come from. They must be reading through ever source book about middle earth that there is and making models out of everything that is mentioned.

Hashut’s Blessing:

Actually, it’s because they were mentioned in the Easterling army list in the Legions of Middle Earth book. I knew there were no models, but I presumed that there were rules in the Shadows in the East book. Annoyingly, I had the rules for the rest of the stuff in it anyway, lol :smiley: Oh well, should give me some background and stuff to read. Any idea when the rules/models etc will come out?

Godbob and his jolly rogers:

Well thats where most of the stuff in the lotr range come from. They must be reading through ever source book about middle earth that there is and making models out of everything that is mentioned.

Pyro Stick
I thought they got to a stage in which they just make most of it up?

snowblizz:

Pyro Stick
I thought they got to a stage in which they just make most of it up?

Godbob and his jolly rogers
Yes, that's pretty much where they are now.

AFAICT they'll release rules for them in WD in due course. Got the May issue on Friday and just read a part called "LotR Reinforcements", LotR rules for some of the WotR models released and which will be released.
In fact I think the WotR most likely has rules for the Dragon Knights. I've got rules for a Dragon Knight hero in the WD in front of me right now.

Border Reiver:

LOME was intended to be the shape of armylists to come when it was published - giving us an idea of what was coming down the pike for some of the less developed armies (Dunland was a good example, as they had two of their warriors listed and two heroes with rules, but their list indicated that, when expanded, they would have an additional hero, and several different warrior types - it allowed folks like me to do a little converting and maybe do a little playtesting.)

Hashut’s Blessing:

The new releases for WotR did get rules in WD (Amdur, Elven Stormcaller, Dwarf Shieldbearer), but Dragon Knights have no models nor LotR rules yet. They have rules in WotR as a similar thing to a unit champion though. It just seems weird because they already have a book for Easterlings, so where will these rules appear?

snowblizz, that’s not a Dragon Knight, unfortunately. It should be Amdur, the Lord of Blades. He’s a named character. I have that issue, hence how I know.

snowblizz:

snowblizz, that's not a Dragon Knight, unfortunately. It should be Amdur, the Lord of Blades. He's a named character. I have that issue, hence how I know.

Hashut's Blessing
Mmm-huh. And his entry indicates he is from the Dragon Knights, what ever they are, hence "Dragon Knight Hero".

I got the impression from the article that they were going to keep releasing rules in WD.

So there's no rules in WotR then for this unit?

Hashut’s Blessing:

Ah, I didn;t read too in-depth at the time. I just saw his name as Lord of Blades (though that may have been in the War of the Ring book instead) and presumed he was some kind of martial king or something. However, a Dragon Knight Hero sounds cool… My main qualm with it though, is that he looks like a normal Easterling Hero (not like the Easterling Captain model, but more like he could be a Hero of the normal troops rather than of some differently armed and armoured troops).

I did as well, particularly since they brought out rules for Elrond’s Council and The Three Hunters in there. however, it’s quite possible that they’ll only do it for Lord of the Rings models, which would suck as I liked all of the new rules they put in in the past (or at least seeing the new rules put in).

Dragon Knights are bought in the same way as a captain/banner bearer/musician etc. You can upgrade each formation to have one. With Dragon Knights, they increase your Fight value to 7 for the Command Company (which is still 2 higher than the captain!), but provides either no or one might, whereas a captain provides 2 might and a captain also gives +1 courage. Fight is a lot more important in the War of the Ring (it actually is worthwhile having a higher fight value! :open_mouth: ) because you add extra dice to your attacks. You get your base number of attack dice, then add for charging, add for a higher fight value, add for a couple of other things and you can lose them for being attacked in the flanks and/or rear. You can get as many about 35 or so attack dice on the charge with some set-ups!

Border Reiver:

Having a higher Fight value is worth while in LOTR as well, given that ties go to the higher F value.

Hashut’s Blessing:

To be honest, I think fight is the most utterly useless characteristic EVER in Lord of the Rings. It’s based entirely on the odds of getting the HIGHEST dice rolled to be exactly equal to the opponent’s HIGHEST dice rolled. It doesn;t represent their skill with a blade at all. Gil-galad has a high fight value if memory serves and Moria goblins don’t, yet ONE can beat him if he rolls all of his attacks low. I mean it;s easier for high fight valued characters to lose in LotR, than high weapon skilled characters in Warhammer, really.

If I have an equal choice entirely, except for a few points and a little extra fight, I’d take the cheaper. If they were equal points, I;d obviously take the higher fight value. Hope I’ve been clear in my explanation…