[Archive] Enchanted Item: The Hat of Thuruk the Grey

Admiral:

The Hat of Thuruk the Grey                                    60 points

(Chaos Dwarf only, Enchanted Item)

This tall warrior’s hat is intricately crafted into a terrifying shape and gives its bearer unnatural intelligence and knowledge of the world. One of the five items forged from the cursed ore of Grimdur Gutwrencher, the metal used to create this hat could only be melted from the ore after the Dawi Zharr Daemonsmith Arrazkrulim Flamefist had thrown himself into the furnace out of despair. His oldest son Thuruk wore the hat daringly, which took him from victory to victory against staggering odds. Yet in the end Thuruk chose to glorify Hashut alone without any praise given to his headgear, which in turn promptly ate him raw from skull to heel. Yet such hazards cannot cow the Blacksmiths of Chaos…

Can only be taken by the army general. This hat cause fear and provides Magic Resistance (2). Other units from the Chaos Dwarf army (Legion of Azgorh if playing with FW rules) may use the general’s Leadership within 18" instead of the usual 12". D3 units from your army, of your choice, may Ambush. At the end of the game roll a D6. On a ‘1’, the hat consumes your general. Remove him as a casaulty.

Admiral:

Right, this item is plucked from this story piece. I’m not good with rules and writing a few of my own might help improve that.

First off, the hat needs reasonable rules that are reasonably worded. Could you help me out by pointing out mistakes or coming with ideas for things to change?

How would you make this hat?

And then it needs a point cost at the end of the day. What would you set it at?

TheHoodedMan:

A great idea to invent a hat as a magic item. A few thoughts from my side:
For me a magic item has to be simple and unique. I would change some things:
There is already an item which gives fear and a ward. I would give it fear and magic resistance(2) instead.
The leadership range should be 18" similar to riding on a big mount. Thats a very strong ability. No other positive rules.
1 on d6 at the end of the battle: The hat consumes the general and victory points change accordingly, thats enough.
Most arcane items help to work magic. For me it fits better as an enchanted item or talisman. Enchanted item would be stronger as you can take an additional talisman. I would set the point cost to 60 points as an enchanted item.

Cheers, Hood

Admiral:

Thanks for good advice!

Updated first post. Removals include flanking reserves and auto-stand and shoot.

Is this more like it? :wink:

TheHoodedMan:

Youre welcome :-).<br>The point cost and choosing the category is probably the most difficult thing. I proposed 60 so you cant take the talisman of preservation, but you could take the talisman of endurance or an earthing rod for example.
One issue could be if the bearer could also wear a dragonhelm at the same time ;-). Hm.

edit: my fault, point cost is included.

Admiral:

Yes, that difficulty is way over my head. Considering the size of Chaos Dwarf hats, would it be conceivable he could wear the dragonhelm under it? :wink:

TheHoodedMan:

For me thats defnitely possible. Ruleswise it`s not forbidden, too.

Admiral:

Then it should be allowed. For comedy, if nothing else. :yar

MadHatter:

Wearer could be made unbreakable aswell

Admiral:

That’s true. My brother thought that 60 pts was too much for so little.

He proposed to bring back the flanking thing by making D3 units get the Ambush rule, which would reflect that tactical thinking. Or cut the cost.

What do you think?

Thommy H:

60 points is about right for this.

Admiral:

60 points is about right for this.

Thommy H
With or without D3 Ambush units? :)

Geist:

60pts for a item that has a 1 in six chance of eating your general? That gives a crap ton of points to the other player. Sorry it is not worth it.

Admiral:

60pts for a item that has a 1 in six chance of eating your general?  That gives a crap ton of points to the other player.  Sorry it is not worth it.

Geist
Please suggest a different point cost or additional rules to make it worth it. :)

D3 units from your army allowed to Ambush added to rules.

Vantraxx the Thrice Cursed:

eats your general… i love that one :wink:

Lucifer:

for me tge rules dont seem to… mesh well.

id say firstly it should be magic armour, giving +1 to AS.

i like the idea of the hat being large enough that troops can see it and therefore increasing his LD buff, however, are K’daai and hobgobs that impressed by massive headwear? id be tempted to change it to CD units only.

MR is nice, fear not so much, i mean, enemy units might not pick up on the significance of the hat…

the D3 unit reposition seems a littlr strong for me and doesnt fit with tje rest of the rules.

the eat on a 1 seems to detremental. perhaps lose out on ‘look out sir’ or something like that

MadHatter:

for me tge rules dont seem to... mesh well.

id say firstly it should be magic armour, giving +1 to AS.

i like the idea of the hat being large enough that troops can see it and therefore increasing his LD buff, however, are K'daai and hobgobs that impressed by massive headwear? id be tempted to change it to CD units only.

MR is nice, fear not so much, i mean, enemy units might not pick up on the significance of the hat...

the D3 unit reposition seems a littlr strong for me and doesnt fit with tje rest of the rules.

the eat on a 1 seems to detremental. perhaps lose out on 'look out sir' or something like that

Lucifer
I dont know about the K'daii but them greenskins better respect the size of the hat lest they be flogged with barbed wire ;)