[Archive] Evil Twin/Good Twin: 2000 pts CD&Dwarfs

GraaEminense:

I’ve long had a fascination for the Big Hats, and so I’ve started plotting a 2000 pt army of Chaos Dwarfs.

Now, I know the list is rather long in the tooth and may not be viable in all venues.

Never one to spend cash and time on something I can’t use to the utmost, I’ve been playing with building a Chaos Dwarf army that can, with a minimum of extra models, double up as regular Dwarfs.

Here, then, is the list I’ve written up so far along with its goody two-shoes cousin. I have no expectations that I’ll make two truly nasty armies, but comments would be appreciated.

Evil Twin:

Chaos Dwarf Hero, heavy armour, greatweapon, Enchanted Shield, Gauntlets of Bazrakk the Cruel, 98 pts

Bull Centaur BSB, Armour of Gazrakh, Sword of Might, 175 pts

Sorcerer lvl 2, 2 Dispel Scrolls, 150 pts

Sorcerer lvl 2, Black Gem of Gnar, 135 pts

24 Chaos Dwarf Warriors, greatweapon, FC, Warbanner, 319 pts

24 Chaos Dwarf Warriors, greatweapon, FC, Warbanner, 294 pts

12 Blunderbusses, standard, 154 pts

10 Hobgoblins, 20 pts

10 Hobgoblins, 20 pts

10 Hobgoblins, 20 pts

Death Rocket, 80 pts

2 Bolt Throwers, 60 pts

6 Black Orcs, shield, musician, 90 pts

Earthshaker, 110 pts

Total: 1969 pts, leaving 31 points for tweaking (shields for the Hobgobs I believe, just for modelling reasons.

I’ve tried to include everything, to get to use all the funny models. I’d really love a Lord on a Great Taurus, and I’m considering dropping the Hero and the Black Gem Sorcerer and the Black Orcs, which with the 31 pts left over would give me a Lord on Taurus with Black Hammer, shield and Armour of the Furnace. Would be a shame to lose the Black Orcs, but flyers are fun.

Anyway, the thought is to have the two big units of dwarfs in the centre, flanked by Blunderbusses and Black Orcs. Use the four big guns to shoot holes in things and the Hobgoblins to bait and disrupt. The Black Gem is there to take out any truly big nasties and hopefully static-CR them to death. The Bull Centaur BSB has a nice range for surprise charges (I’m considering swapping the Hero for a Bull Centaur Hero for that reason, if I don’t go for the flying nasty instead).

Good Twin:

Master Engineer, 2xRune of Luck, Rune of Warding, Rune of Stone, greatweapon, 134 pts

Runesmith, greatweapon, shield, 2xRune of Spellbreaking, Master Rune of Challenge, 151 pts

Thane BSB, Master Rune of Gromril, Rune of Fury, Rune of Cleaving, Rune of Fire, 165 pts

Dragon Slayer, Master Rune of Swiftness, Rune of Might, Rune of Fury, 125 pts

24 Warriors, FC, greatweapon, shields, 289 pts

24 Warriors, FC, greatweapon, shields, 289 pts

12 Thunderers, shield, standard, 190 pts

12 Thunderers, shield, standard, 190 pts

Cannon, Engineer/pistols, Rune of Forging, Rune of Burning, 150 pts

Grudgethrower, Engineer/pistols, Rune of Accuracy, 125 pts

Bolt Thrower, Engineer/pistols, Rune of Penetrating, 90 pts

Bolt Thrower, Engineer/pistols, Rune of Penetrating, Rune of Burning, 95 pts

Total 1998 pts.

It shouldn’t take a lot of brains to see the similarities. A Dwarf with an axe or a gun is pretty much the same whether he’s got tusks or not. As far as I can see, I’ll need to add 8 crewmembers and add a couple of characters to allow the Chaos Dwarf list above to run as this Dwarf list. Pretty effective I think.

However, I know nothing about Dwarfs. The lack of a true fighty lord concerns me, and there just doesn’t seem to be enough about anything except artillery. I really don’t want an Anvil, it just seems too ever-present (and there are no Big Hat models for it).

So, comments&criticism on either list would be most welcome.

Servius:

I like the CD list… Becides the fact that you can only take a Magic item ONCE in a list… so you second unit of warriors is flat illegal but your points look like its just a typo… I would consider putting your Black Orcs into one unit with a champion and Musician and loosing some points somewhere… and placing maybe your gem in it. I wouldnt place the General in it though.

The Dwarf List… Really… Come on now… Is there a Dwarf player in existance that can leave home without the ST7 Bolt Thrower Crutches? :rolleyes:

Also Dwarfs can have very efficient combat killers… its just they have a hard time hitting combat. Try looking at the Master rune of Kragg the Grim there are a number of combos that can be done with that one.

Baggronor:

Is there a Dwarf player in existance that can leave home without the ST7 Bolt Thrower Crutches?
Compared to some of the other 'crutches' out there, I think the Str 7 BTs are positively tame :)

Purely in terms of playing games:
The CD list looks nice. The Blorcs would be better as 1 unit I think.

In the Dwarf list I would bump 1 warrior unit up to Longbeards. The re-roll on panic is awesome. Maybe use the other unit as Hammerers (with Rune of Courage), as they have great weapons (Master Rune of Challenge goes here ofc).
Drop banners from Thunderers, 10 is enough I think.
The lack of a true fighty lord
True fighty lords are pretty pricey. A lord with Shieldbearers, Rune of Stone and a Great Weapon is nice and cheap and good enough for most situations. Put him with Hammerers and they are immune to fear and terror for free :).

Rune of Striking is nice on the BSB (making him WS7), a surprising amount of enemies will find their rolls to hit him change for the worse (Kroxigors, Ironguts, Ghouls, Grave Guard etc all hitting him on 5s, even Elf lords and Vampires needing 4s).

A Valiant Rune on the Master Engineer's machine can be rather entertaining, especially if he has a decent save.

GraaEminense:

Yeah, the extra Warbanner was a copy-paste mistake.

Not sure about combining the Black Orcs… though I agree a big unit would be nice, small cheap units are wonderfully disposable. They’re only there to help out the CD Warriors anyway, so they’re basically there for M4 S6. Hard enough to take on most hunter units, and with only six I can actually plan on losing them to bait a more important unit.

On the Nice Dwarfs…
The S7 crutches are indeed crutches. But since they’re only really good against Large Targets, and I feel I have the moral high ground anyway by not taking the Anvil… well.

One unit of Warriors should indeed become Longbeards (or perhaps Hammerers?). But they become very expensive at that point, and with M3 I’m just not sure they’re worth it unless I go for a strong infantry line (at least one more unit, preferably two). You need one unit of Warriors to get Longbeards, so both can’t be upgraded anyway.

The Thunderers look like they do because they’re straight-up conversions of the Blunderbusses. I see your point though, 10 with no command should be enough.

And, I guess I should see what I can do about squeezing in a fighty Lord… boy they’re pricey for such short legs though.

Thanks for the answers guys.

Baggronor:

You need one unit of Warriors to get Longbeards, so both can't be upgraded anyway.
Not if you take the Lord.
But they become very expensive at that point, and with M3 I'm just not sure they're worth it unless I go for a strong infantry line (at least one more unit, preferably two).
I run 3 combat blocks (2x 18 Hammerers and 1x 20 Longbeards) and 2 10 man flanking units (slayers and warriors) in my Lord list. They are well worth it if they have the right support. The re-roll on panic from the Longbeards is gold, especially when you have the Hammerers with Rune of Courage too. Coupled with the BSB, that battleline aint going nowhere :)
The S7 crutches are indeed crutches.
Pah, you don't know what a crutch is until you experience the Drakenhoff Banner :) Plus, like you say, in this setup you need em.

GraaEminense:

Quick Chaos Dwarf remake (since the Good list is dependent on the Evil list, it’s on hold):

Chaos Dwarf Lord, Taurus, shield, Hammer of Bazrakh, Armour of Furnace, 443 pts

25 Chaos Dwarf Warriors, greatweapon, FC, Warbanner, 330 pts

10 Hobgoblins, 20 pts

10 Hobgoblins, 20 pts

21 Hobgoblins, 42 pts

6 Bull Centaurs, shield, FC, 171 pts

Death Rocket, 80 pts

2 Bolt Throwers, 60 pts

Earthshaker, 110 pts

Total: 1999 pts

Introduces the Taurus Lord and the Bull Centaurs for a much-needed speed boost. Loses the (rather useless, I agree) Hero, a Sorcerer (down to 3DD… ouch), a ranked unit of Warriors and a unit of Black Orcs to pay for it, but increases the size of a Hobgoblin unit to add some ranks.

Only having a single proper ranked unit seems a bit weak though. I only have one unit that can conceivably take a charge from anything stronger than Goblins (the Warriors) and two units with enough speed to make up for that (Taurus and Bull Centaurs). And a magic defense that makes me cringe.

Thoughts on this one compared to the previous version?

GraaEminense:

Take 3:

Now including 2 decent Hobgoblin units, to give much-needed extra bodies on the field. Still not happy that I’m not using the last Hero slot though -but adding another lvl2 or a Bull Centaur Hero will cost pretty much exactly the same as the two ranked Hobgoblin units. Question is what is more useful, an additional 2PD/1DD, 41 T3 4+ save guys or an M8 S7 A4 hero…

Chaos Dwarf Lord, Taurus, shield, Hammer of Bazrakh, Armour of Furnace, 443 pts

24 Chaos Dwarf Warriors, greatweapon, FC, Warbanner, 319 pts

12 Blunderbusses, 144 pts

12 Blunderbusses, 144 pts

10 Hobgoblins, 20 pts

10 Hobgoblins, 20 pts

21 Hobgoblins, light armour, shield, 84 pts

20 Hobgoblins, light armour, shield, 80 pts

6 Bull Centaurs, shield, FC, 171 pts

Death Rocket, 80 pts