[Archive] Facing Beasts of Nurgle

NoisyAssassin:

So I just had my second (2K) game against a local Daemon player who favors a Nurgle-heavy army, and I’m having issues dealing with all the high-priority, difficult to kill targets. He tends to take 2 units of 4 Beasts, a GUO, and a Skullcannon. I tried an army with an Iron Daemon and 2 Hellcannons, as well as a L4 on Hashut. But it seems that Daemonic ward saves combined with scatter make templates a less than impressive solution. Over three rounds of shooting I was able to kill a single Beast. And don’t get me started on target priority!

Anyway, last game I was able to tarpit one of the Beast units with my Iron Daemon after focusing fire on it (and an exploding Hellcannon bringing the unit down to 2 models really helped), but that can’t go on indefinitely (it takes an average of a wound per round), and got him to charge my main combat block with the other unit, which I was able to whittle down and destroy over many rounds of combat, losing my BSB in the process.

Does anyone have any good tips/suggestions for facing blocks of Beasts? By the math it’s a pretty even head-on fight between one of these blocks and a Destroyer. But they’re 240 points to my 325, and I really need Ashstorm to guarantee victory. So I might try this option, but it doesn’t seem ideal. Magma Cannons? With a goood shot should be 4 hits, 2 wounds, 1.33 after ward saves, then multiplied. So chance of removing a full model is there, but relies on some luck. Of course a boosted Flames of Bada**ery is probably the best option, but that 25+ isn’t always there, even on 6 dice. And to get even more greedy, I want an option that leaves me with resources to deal with/stall a GUO wielding an Eternal Blade (he’ll easily wreck a Destroyer), and I don’t want to be a jerk and run Death just for Purple Sun.

jaegerbomb77:

propervillanz:

Try deathshriekers, they are amazing, cheaper and uses a much smaller template than the hellcannons. A unit of blunderbusses with the flame banner should ruin their day as well. Khans will work great for redirecting them, while several fire casters with decent magic phases should see you flinging around enough fireballs to hurt them. Lastly you can always hit them with a Destroyer and see who has the better demon.

MOMUS:

A friend of mine who plays daemons competively also favours beasts of nurgle, they are a great choice in the new book esp with their 1+D6 attacks and movement 6?!?!?

I use two magma cannons to wipe off a unit and then my LVL 4 on death to snipe the remaining beast. I drove my destroyer into the second unit and he nearly popped them due to directing attacks onto a flanking plague drone unit. But without the thunderstomp i would agree the beasts are better.

I have included two khans in my newest list to use as chaff to deal with things like this.

Baggronor:

If anything, regular IG with HW/shields and the flaming banner are the best bet imo. K’Daai are too vulnerable to the poison and BCs don’t do enough damage.

I don’t want to be a jerk and run Death just for Purple Sun.
Dude, its Daemons :wink: You can do anything to them and not feel bad. Its worth running Death just for Soulblight/Doom and Darkness imo.

MOMUS:

I would say death is a very strong contender for choice of lore on your lvl4, for its synergy with the units mentioned above and the fact its hard for CD to deal with individual characters.

BABIS:

spirit leech will take care of some beasts :wink:

rubencm81:

spirit leech will take care of some beasts ;)

BABIS
Spirit Leech will take care of ONE beast. You select a miniature, not a unit.

BABIS:

BABIS

rubencm81
I usually play with 3 Death casters.. 3 spirit leech per game turn ;)

rubencm81:

BABIS

rubencm81
I usually play with 3 Death casters.. 3 spirit leech per game turn ;)

BABIS
And I Presume you have enough magic dice every turn, beast are out of General range ( new FAQ for leech) and your opponent does not dispel any of your leech and does not regenerate any of your wounds.

The best way to face them is to cast a purple sun or Ashes+flame

BABIS:

but from the same faq you also use your general Ld, so we resolve the spell always with 1 additional wound!

anyway spirit leech is one of the way to treat them, and it’s obvious that you cannot kill them all with it. but 3 or 4 magic phase with at least 2 SL can change a lot of things…

I use also the S8 rocket or the steam cannonade… purple sun is nice to use, even if the misfire is very dangerous…

I don’t build strategies with ashstorm, because if you are not lucky you can have not that spell…

Samanos:

-purple sun

-magmas and then shooting(?)

-iron demon

-lore of fire

-unit with gws and the flame banner (bulls with tauruk or infernals)

do NOT send the kdaais, those things have d6 +1 poisoned attacks remember?

as for target priority:

shoot one unit of beasts with 2 magmas, send an iron demon to the other. send the destroyer to the skullcannon, it has 2+ ward against it so he wont die easily and if you leave it its gonna kill your machines. shriekers and/or hellcannons shoot or the GUO and you have used spirit leech on him on the magic phace. you should have set redirectors on him as well.