[Archive] Fantasy Arms & Armour Scrutinized

Admiral:

Do you have observations of your own or links to videos or articles dealing with fantasy armament or armour seen through a realistic utility lense rather than stylistic? Share here!

A metalworker’s look on fantasy armour suits

The statement this armor makes: You really, really like death. As in, you alone rule over legions of the undead, all from the comfort of the Frozen Throne. Also, you have no qualms wearing metal plating in sub-zero temperatures, and your helmet doubles as a radio antenna or tuning fork in a pinch.

Should you wear it in a fight? No, unless you want your neck snapped. “Any time you put structures up on the helmet, that gives me a good handhold to grab it and twist your head right off your neck,” says Johnson. “It’s just leverage; if there’s any way to hit that, grab it, push it, your head isn’t strong enough to stop that from happening.”

On Arthas’ Armour
Now, what does this say of big hat Chaos Dwarfs? Suicidally stylish or too thick-necked to break? :hat

Helmet crests are not such a huge disadvantage in and of themselves, though. If you’re within reach of grabbing your opponent’s helmet, they’re likely down or dead already.

Lethal breast armour

Darkmeer:

I’ve liked this type of thing for a long time. I have drawn fantasy and traditional armors since I was a kid (rarely showcasing anything), but these articles bring up some specific nigglings that i have about spiked armors in general, and female armors in modern times. Most female armors were made more akin to male ones previously, or were more the partial armors that were noted in the first article.

That’s not to say that the fantasy armors shouldn’t be that way, they are for fun. That’s the point, but there should be some sort of acknowledgement by the fantasy community as a whole that said armors couldn’t and shouldn’t be used in a real setting.

Malorndk:

High elves helms fits this. Thin, weak necks and all.

But traditionally, our hats sit atop the head, is probably not made purely of metal and would easily be dropped/chopped off. Not breaking our sturdy zharr necks! :wink:

Classic female fantasy armour is a prime sinner on the uselessness factor btw…

Admiral:

By Polish artist Milek Jakubiec: