[Archive] Favourite Lord of the rings movie?

BilboBaggins:

You shouldn’t be comparing the individual movies but taking them in as a whole.

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Bilbo’s right.

A week ago, I borrowed the audio-book of The Hobbit and listened to it while I was working on some Empire models for Ben. It’s a pretty good story. I borrowed the 1977 animated version of The Hobbit from the public library last night and watched it later that evening. They sure missed a lot of the interesting parts from the audio book in the cartoon. I’m wondering if they’re still going to make a modern live version of The Hobbit with the Lord Of the Rings cast. (Well, you really only get the actors that played Golem, Bilbo and Gandalf, but still…)

Anyone heard any rumors?

Baggronor:

I'm wondering if they're still going to make a modern live version of The Hobbit with the Lord Of the Rings cast.
Yup, Guillermo del Toro (Pan's Labyrinth, Cronos) is directing, with Peter Jackson producing, so it should be very cool :) 2 films are planned too, which is interesting.

BilboBaggins:

It is believed that the filming could start as soon as this summer on the first of the two movies. The first movie will be The Hobbit (or There and Back Again as Bilbo called it) from the book, the second will be taken from Tolkien’s writings and cover the time between The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings (about 60 years between the books.)

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Kool! I wonder what happened in that 60 year spread? Is there a book on it, or is it just from the “read between the lines” footnotes from Tolkien?

BilboBaggins:

Tolkien has written loads in that universe, he was a stickler for filling in all the blanks. There have been numerous books (most edited by his son Christopher) released over the years. The family probably still has more notes locked up in safes in the UK.

Tarrakk Blackhand:

I have The Children of Hurin as a second Library Audio CD and so far it’s pretty interesting. Read by Christopher Lee.

In the footnotes of it, read by Christopher Tolkien, he said that his father wrote most of these stories starting in @ 1911-1914 and someone else told me that The Lord of The Rings trilogy was reminiscent of WWI. I found that pretty amazing. I didn’t think that the books were that old.

BLOOD AXE:

Has to be the two towers for just for the battle of helms deep :)

Loki
I agree! Two Towers!